Hey EFICJ-5.0 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2001, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3834
Send a message via AIM to Bgcj5
Post Hey EFICJ-5.0

I ws wondering if I could talk to u a little about your rig> I am building a rig very similar to your and would like some advice. My first Q is how did u go about wiring your 5.0 I have an 89 complete with the enging harness and computer as well as the oil pan harness as well. Also what did u do abotu a fuel pump and what are u running for a gas tank I would like to run a fuel cell. Thanks for your time.
Pocket
Bgcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 6151
bgcj5,

I had a friend that is a damn good mechanic (Larry Foster)create a wireharness from the stock harness. He cut all of the non-essential crap off. I know there are companies like the one that I provided a link to. They custom build the harness to meet your needs. I know they are pricey 600-900 dollars just for the harness. but if you can obtain a 5.0 for dirt cheap you can have a super-reliable motor for under 2000.00 dollars. My 5.0 is all stock except for the K&N and a Throttle body spacer. I had my jeep apart for almost six months. I hooked up the fuel and touched the start button and it fired in half a crank. It does run a little hotter though. My motor runs around 210. I would like to louvre the hood or put some of those grand cherokee 5.7 inserts on my hood to disipate heat.

Mimic the donor cars fuel system as close as possible and you should have no problems. I ran an extenal fuel pump on mine even though the mustang had an internal pump. I am running dual tanks and have a cj-7 tank in the back. I wanted the fuel pump outside so if it craps i can change it. It never has. I run a pusher pump from the tank to the high pressure pump which is by the way out of a 1988 ford ranger (yes I bought it used and i am still running the same pump three years later.

I am very very happy with this motor. Was running a 289 in my jeep when I first had it. When I put in this motor I got 1)fuel injection 2) power steering 3)on-board air (converted the a/c to air compressor) 4) reliability. the only problem that I have had with it was my electric fan temp sensor (push through the radiator fin type) was causing a short in the system that was extremely hard to find. I found it by total luck.

http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/...ess/index.html
Old 08-27-2001, 07:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3834
Hey thanks that should help alot. What are u running for susp and what are u running for a tranny? I am SOA on stock rear laredo leaves and I am running a ford t-18 to a dana 300. how long is your drive shaft and is the angle ok. Sorry for the 20 Q's but I really like your rig and u have completed some of the things I haven't. Thanks again
Pocket
Old 08-27-2001, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 6151
The tranny is an NP435 from a 1984 full size bronco. T-case is a Model 18. (overdrive when toes up on me about six months ago.) I run an advanced adapters adapter between the two. ($550 or somthing like that.) I had to replace the mainshaft in the trans with the A/A mainshaft. The headers are also A/A. 260 bucks. (go with coated I did not spend the extra cash and now they are looking like hell. I had to weld in some bungs on the collectors for the O2 sensors. I am running custom alcan SOA springs that are starting to annoy me. Even though I have had them re-arched and even added arch the sag after hard abuse. I am thinking about going wider/longer springs with offset centerpins. My driveshaft is 14.5 inches long. I angled the pinion at 7 degrees and although I have been told to use a CV I have never had vibrations. I can truly (with overdrive) go to the trailhead at 70-75 mile an hour comfortably. I run 36" tires 5.38 in the diffs. trans 6.69:1 t/case 2.46:1 Diffs 5.38 = 88.5: crawl ratio.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3834
Thanks
Pocket