CJ-10a Buildup Questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2003, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 6777
CJ-10a Buildup Questions

I have been putting a lot of thought into what the basis for my next project would be and today I found a CJ-10a. I have searched here and on the net but I have found little info on them. I like that they are different from the more common Jeeps and I kind of like the look. I was thinking of buying it and putting the cab, fenders, front clip, and hood on another Jeep frame and adding a pickup style bed similar in style to the Willys pickup or the FC-150.

I have found different sources of info concerning the frame. Some say it is a shortened FSJ frame and others say it is not. Does anyone know the truth for sure? I would want to set the body on a new frame from another Jeep but I want to know which one is the correct one before I get too deep into it.

If you have any good CJ-10a links please share them.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 11874
Well I for one would love to see what a CJ-"10a" looks like.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doublewide engineer

Member # 6971

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." R. L. Burnside
kwrangln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 03:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 12801
Here is another pic

Didnt think you guys have these in the states ?? I thought they were an australia and Canada only Jeep

The one in the pic has a EFI 360 NV4500 dana 70 and dana 44 front
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 04:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Doublewide engineer

Member # 6971
I've seen a few of em converted by the airforce for use as plane tugs. Texas A&M fireschool has a couple running around on campus. Chris Duram started competing in his CJ10 that started as a plane tug if I remember right. They are out there, just not as easy to find here as they are in other countries.

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." R. L. Burnside
kwrangln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 06:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6777
Quote:
Originally posted by JS-Economos
Well I for one would love to see what a CJ-"10a" looks like.
Here it is:

I have not bought it yet as I am waiting to find out about another deal with some D60's.
BillyBob535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 07:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 6777
Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie
Didnt think you guys have these in the states ?? I thought they were an australia and Canada only Jeep
The ones here are the aircraft tugs. I would put it on a different frame with a pre 80 FSJ V8 drivetrain, GM D60/14B from a M1008, and slap some hummer rims and tires on it. I'll call it the government waste project.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11874
That thing is cool as shit; what's it have for stock drivetrain? I've seen lots of pics of Duram's rig but always thought the front clip was custom - I never knew they made this model.

Cool project, keep us posted.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 556
Quote:
Originally posted by JS-Economos
That thing is cool as shit; what's it have for stock drivetrain? I've seen lots of pics of Duram's rig but always thought the front clip was custom - I never knew they made this model.

Cool project, keep us posted.
Nissan diesel, TF-727, NP-207 w/front output blocked off and locked into low-range, Dana 70 dually rear. The Aussie models are 10's the aircraft tugs are 10a's. I believe Duram's is a stretched 10a IIRC
Old 03-18-2003, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 4658
These are a few links i have bookmarked on cj-10's. Hope they help.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/CJ-10List/

http://www.4x4mag.co.uk/junefeatures/magjeepcj.htm

Tim
TBM Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 04:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
DUG

Member # 858
Send a message via AIM to DUG
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeepskate

Nissan diesel, TF-727, NP-207 w/front output blocked off and locked into low-range, Dana 70 dually rear. The Aussie models are 10's the aircraft tugs are 10a's. I believe Duram's is a stretched 10a IIRC
Actually the t-case in the tug versions ia a NP241 locked in 4 low complete with a front yoke. However it has no high range. I ran one as a t-case breifly but decided I wanted high range back and flipped a D300.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11057
Quote:
Originally posted by DUG

Actually the t-case in the tug versions ia a NP241 locked in 4 low complete with a front yoke. However it has no high range. I ran one as a t-case breifly but decided I wanted high range back and flipped a D300.
Huh. I'd always heard it was the 208. Anyway, here's the big question: how would they "remove" the high-range? I can see the shift-fork being locked-in to the low-range position, but they would have to actually engineer another mainshaft to "remove" the high-range.

I would think it'd be easier to just use the existing transfer-case and block that range-fork into one position.

If that's the case, then making it 4wd would be as easy as adding a front differential, unblocking the range fork and adding the linkage and the lever.

Anyone have pics of the inside of a CJ-10a transfer-case?
BobBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 07:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 1792
I have only seen one in person!That was the other day!I think the guy is just starting to build it.Not sure if it was an Airforce one or not.Cheepin
Old 03-18-2003, 07:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
DUG

Member # 858
Send a message via AIM to DUG
Quote:
Originally posted by BobBarry

Huh. I'd always heard it was the 208. Anyway, here's the big question: how would they "remove" the high-range? I can see the shift-fork being locked-in to the low-range position, but they would have to actually engineer another mainshaft to "remove" the high-range.

I would think it'd be easier to just use the existing transfer-case and block that range-fork into one position.

If that's the case, then making it 4wd would be as easy as adding a front differential, unblocking the range fork and adding the linkage and the lever.

Anyone have pics of the inside of a CJ-10a transfer-case?
It is a totally differen bird from the normal NP2412 inside, The shift collar and stuf fis not the same, I didn't take any pics when I had it but trust me, there was no easy way to convert it or I would still be using it.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 11057
That's good to know. A regular AM208 should bolt right to that TF727 tranny, though, giving 4wd (well, with the addition of a driver's-drop front axle; SOA with a full-width Ford high-pinion D60 would go well with that extra-wide D70 out back).
BobBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 08:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 6777
Quote:
Originally posted by BobBarry
That's good to know. A regular AM208 should bolt right to that TF727 tranny, though, giving 4wd (well, with the addition of a driver's-drop front axle; SOA with a full-width Ford high-pinion D60 would go well with that extra-wide D70 out back).
The one I'm lookin at has no tranny or tc. I am not going to use any of the drivetrain so it dosen't matter to me. I would use chevy axles (D60/14B) and a pre 80 Jeep V8/tranny/tc.

My goal is to build a low buck hardcore rig that is not typical of what everyone else is doing.

Right now I am in the planning and parts collection stage. I will start building when my YJ sells and I get a good daily driver (4cyl YJ or MJ).
Old 03-18-2003, 08:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 6777
Anyone know anything about the frame on the 10A? Is it a CJ frame or FSJ frame? I have found multiple sources of frame info but they do not agree on it. I am hoping it is a FSJ frame and then I will buy the 2 door 79 Cherokee down the street and plop the 10a cab on it with little or no mods. Then I will change the TC to a 208, throw the axles under it, then start the fine stuff.

I tried to get on the Yahoo CJ-10 group but I haven't heard back from them.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 3239
Send a message via AIM to Brad Send a message via Yahoo to Brad
Id just stick that body on a CJ7 OR a YJ frame
I tried to find one of those tubs locally but never could so I just went with a CJ7 one.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 6777
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Id just stick that body on a CJ7 OR a YJ frame
I tried to find one of those tubs locally but never could so I just went with a CJ7 one.
I'm looking to end up with a longer wheelbase than a YJ or CJ frame has. If it is not too complicated, I am thinking about using one from a 2 door full size cherokee. I think they have a 109" wheelbase so that would be sufficient. I will then put a custom bed on it that is similar to that of the Willys truck or FC series (Basically a box with fenders bolted onto it. This would allow me to use the stock FSJ drivetrain and suspension except the axles.

Last edited by BillyBob535; 03-19-2003 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 3239
Its easy to stretch the wheelbase of a YJ frame. You just have to find springs with the offset centerpins to do it. Granted some other fab work would be needed but big deal.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:34 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 6777
I found out that the physical frame rail is the same as the FSJ frame but the body mounts are unique to the 10a. If I pull this off I would probably do the offset rear spring thing on the stock frame. I was hoping for ample DS length in the rear so I could keep the stock tranny and not eat u-joints.

I wonder if a CUCV 6.2 would fit under the hood.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 3239
Quote:
Originally posted by BillyBob535
I found out that the physical frame rail is the same as the FSJ frame but the body mounts are unique to the 10a. If I pull this off I would probably do the offset rear spring thing on the stock frame. I was hoping for ample DS length in the rear so I could keep the stock tranny and not eat u-joints.

I wonder if a CUCV 6.2 would fit under the hood.
whats the stock wheelbase of the CJ10?
Old 03-23-2003, 03:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 6777
I'm still trying to find a correct answer on that one. I may drive up to measure the stuff on the one I am after in a couple weeks and then decide if it is feasable or not. Looks like the GM D60 front will be a bolt in SOA as the perch width is the same as a FSJ and FSJ front axles supposedly are a direct swap. I am just worried about the 14bolt rear fitting in ( I realize I may have to move the perches - no big deal) and having adequate DS length without frame mods. I want to build a decent HD trail rig using as many common existing parts as possible and have it come out super cheap and strong.

I have seen a CJ-5 with a 454 under the hood so I know it is dimentionally possible to stuff a 6.2 in there, I just wondered if anyone had done it and if it would be worth it. 6.2's are cheap and plentiful, plus I could steal the whole drivetrain from a CUCV. As an alternative I am keeping my eyes open for a 4BT cummins as I thing I remember them being used with GM trannies in bread trucks. Anyone care to fill me in on that?
Old 04-29-2003, 03:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 15808
price of CJ10a?

billybob how much are they asking for the one you are looking at?
wades_76_cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 01:59 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 6777
I passed on it and it was sold to someone else for around $1800.