Triangulated 4 link rear - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2001, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4921
Triangulated 4 link rear

1) On a triangulated 4 link rear, does it make any difference whether the upper two links converge at the top of the diff, or if they mount right above the lowers on the axle and converge at the crossmember on the frame (forward of the diff)?

2) Is it always done the first way to avoid interference with the drive shaft? Any other variations out there that work?

3)Why do some 4 links have the bushing on the lower links mounted at the rear of the axle, and the links curved under the axle?

4) Source of coil springs other than coil overs? Typical lenghts and diameters? (I'm cheap)

5) Seen some 4 links that look like the upper links are joined where they converge. What's up with that?

6) Strut type bushings on the ends to allow more rotation of the links? If so, where is a good source?

Hoping for the driveway engineers to give me some practical advice. Looks like a number of guys have fabbed 4 links. I want to build it using as much fabbed / converted parts as possible to avoid buying coilovers and expensive rod ends.

Tim
Tmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
PIG
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4502
1) Yes it does matter where they converge.

2) No.

3) Prob. to incrase the distances between the 2 points where they mount.

4) Junkyard.

5) = 3 link.

6) ???

Good Luck...

www.SynergyMFG.com
Cool stuff for your buggy, Jeep, Dodge 2500/3500

www.4130Clothing.com
A unique apparel line geared for the off-road enthusiast
PIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2001, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6170
No it doesn't matter which end converges or even if its the uppers vs. the lowers. The convergence points will effect the roll axis though. I believe thats why most have the upper links converging at the top of the diff. Using bushings on at least one of your ends will help to eliminate noise. Rod ends are great for transmiting noise and vibrations. I suppose stud type bushings as found on ford radius arms could work just fine. I would only be concerned about how much they could pivot in there mounts vs. twisting. Also they might wear out quickly. But hey they worked for ford and ford is never wrong, right?
As for coils, go to the junkyard and try to find a vehicle with somewhat the same approximate weight and start there. Or start contacting some of the aftermarket lift companies and see if they will give dimension and spring rates.
Hope this helps.
Pig Pen- How was frisco?

Kevo
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote