Howdy and a few questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2003, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 19668
Howdy and a few questions

Well after months of being silent and the fact that I'm starting to stump some people on Qtec with questions I have, I finally decided to join. I've got a 1975 Jeep CJ5 with a 258, T-150, Dana 20 T-case and Dana 30 & 44 axles. Hopefully by the close of the summer I can have narrowed Dana 60's in on a YJ soa, with TJ flairs, and have my SM420 stabed in with a novak adapter and extreme centerforce clutch, then a Dana 300 behind that running a LoMax 4:1 gear kit, 32 spline upgrade, and a parking break kit. Like I said....I hope . Along with Allied or Hummer beadlocks (most likely Allied) with 37in. Goodyear MT/R's. Anywho I've been searching this forum for the past 4 hours or so looking for some Dana 60 info. I know you guys are notorious for flaming newby's for not searching, but I did and didn't find what I was looking for so I figgured I'd ask. If you feel the need to flame me then go for it lol. Anyway from what I've read the easiest way to get 15 inch rims on a Dana 60 front end is to find a unit from a Chevy and start grinding the caliper and bracket, and it should all fit ok? Now the 2 questions I have and was having trouble finding is, A. Will 15 inch rims fit on a narrowed Dana 60 full floater with a disc conversion, and B. Whats the best way to narrow that full floater's housing? (Cutting the ends off then rewelding, cutting the plugs out of the housing the re-pressing the tubes back in or??) Thanks all I appreciate it,
- Zach
(1975 Jeep CJ-5) Being built: 2x4 A-500C frame, C&C 14 bolt w/discs & Detroit, D44 mini-spool, Flat Tops, Mad Mac Double Arms, 4.56's, SM420, D300, AA & Novak adapters, SOA on 2in. BDS YJ springs with a reversal, extended wb; 6in. front, 3in. rear, TJ flairs, hummer rims, hydroboost w/68' Vette M/C
CJ5inFourWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2003, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 940
15's will fit on Chevy 60's but will require allot of grinding if you have 3.75" backspace wheels so get 3" backspacing if you can and then no problem. Running 15's on a rear 60 with disks is no problem. To cut done the 60 cut off the spindles, then cut the housing to size and weld it back together. Check your spindle ID because most pre 80 60's will not fit 35 spline axles without boring them out. Do a search on "TOTW: DIY custom width axles"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Deep Cryogenic Tempering Service
Find all my products at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

916-434-6978
Custom Sway Bars and Axles built to order.

Got 40 spline? I have the hubs, spindles, and axles you need to kickass!
Custom Hummer wheels and centers
Axle Resplining

Last edited by 66CJdean; 05-14-2003 at 06:13 PM.
66CJdean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2003, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1370
Way to go, Newbie! Perfect first post!

Paul
nasvik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2003, 09:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17760
I noticed that no matter how stupid a question a newbie asks...as long as he states that he knows he will be ripped a new one, people will leave them alone, funny how i have to read twice as much of the newbie's post to get half as much 'newbie abuse' in the replies

explortainment is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2003, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2705
Most everything you want to know is here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ont/index.html

the part about grinding calipers is one page 2.
ChadLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2003, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 7163
Re: Howdy and a few questions

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ5inFourWheelDrive
A.Will 15 inch rims fit on a narrowed Dana 60 full floater with a disc conversion, and B. Whats the best way to narrow that full floater's housing? (Cutting the ends off then rewelding, cutting the plugs out of the housing the re-pressing the tubes back in or??) Thanks all I appreciate it,
- Zach
A. Most likely yes, they should even fit on the drum brakes.
B. I prefer the removal of the tube and pressing it back in, or you could cut the ends off and run Strange Ford 9" SF outers, you could cut it in the middle and butt weld it or even cut the spindle off, shorten it, and re weld it on.

I prefer the first two...
Oxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2003, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9722
I am confused about the wheel question. In the beginning you state you want Hummer beadlocks, then later on you ask if 15" wheels will work on Dana 60s. It's always been my understanding that Hummer beadlocks are 16.5"

But yeah, 15s will fit, you just gotta get happy with the grinder.

TexasBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2003, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11598
Quote:
Originally posted by TexasBlakeWFO

But yeah, 15s will fit, you just gotta get happy with the grinder.
I've actually heard that you don't have to grind the calipers that much?
Old 05-15-2003, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 16837
i agree about the hummer wheels being 16.5, yea thats true.

USA6x6.com sells hummer wheels like of all sorts. They have the 16.5, 17in and everything and they can be amde to fin anythign with any custom backspacing..i think the price is reasonable too.

If i were you id get some 17in rims...especially if your going to run 37 wheels..those new krawlers are 17s and i hea rnothing but good. Then you wont have to worry about grinding down anything or hacking away, plus you can get custom wheels for exactly what you want, not to mention that bigger wheels cause less abuse on the sidewall when you airdown.

just my .02
Old 05-15-2003, 01:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 9274
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason R

I've actually heard that you don't have to grind the calipers that much?
i had 2.5" bs with 15" wheels on my chevy 60 without any grinding. the less BS the less grinding. if you search gen 4x4 you will find a huge thread on this...

here is a link to the that will tell you were to grind.

http://www.members.cox.net/russhuffm.../calipers.html

o and welcome newbie
Old 05-15-2003, 01:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 15337
wait a minute, that was his 1st post and it wasnt about chrome diff covers??? welcome to the dark side bro!
Old 05-15-2003, 11:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 19668
Quote:
wait a minute, that was his 1st post and it wasnt about chrome diff covers??? welcome to the dark side bro!
LOL, yea it is kinda the dark side over here, I go to Qtec and it's all light and cheery, then I get here and Metallica's version of Star Wars Imperial March starts playin in my head and I get the visual of my Jeep (the way I want it....but as of yet can't afford) driving through sparks and molten weld slag comming from dudes workin on rock buggies on either side......maybe that was flame me for that one LOL. Anyway I'm going to be buying a mig http://www.centuryonline.net/catalog...D=6&modelID=28 within the next few weeks so I can start on all this stuff. I would go 220v but we're out of breakers in the fuse box and pop doesn't want to help me drop about a grand to get another one run, wired and into the garage. But I figgured this would be sufficent because it more or less is a pro 120v model, I had the 83155 last year except the craftsman stamped version and the transformer burnt up within 2 days. Also from what I gather it doesn't require alot of heat to put on the axle tubes, otherwise if you have too much it will warp. Any input on the welder would be great (esp. about using this model to weld the cut spindel ends back on the narrowed housing) As for the 16.5in. hummer rims.....I thought goodyear was making their 37 MT/R's in a 16.5 but I guess it's only 15 and 17. So it looks like I'm stickin with the Allied Beadlocks. I'd probably go to swampers or there abouts if this wasn't my quasi-daily driver. And besides I'm runnin 33 MT/R's now and love them, think I might sipe the center sections on the 37's though. Here's a pic of my rig in it's current form.........now you guys with 1 off rigs.....please, try not to laugh lol.
- Zach
(1975 Jeep CJ-5) Being built: 2x4 A-500C frame, C&C 14 bolt w/discs & Detroit, D44 mini-spool, Flat Tops, Mad Mac Double Arms, 4.56's, SM420, D300, AA & Novak adapters, SOA on 2in. BDS YJ springs with a reversal, extended wb; 6in. front, 3in. rear, TJ flairs, hummer rims, hydroboost w/68' Vette M/C

Last edited by CJ5inFourWheelDrive; 05-15-2003 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 19668
Dean,
I plan on upgrading to 35 spline units, there's only a few built rigs around this area so I have a snowball's chance in hell of finding the elusive 35 spline Dana 60 FF rear. Anyway if I can't find one within the month what 60 FF should I pick up, based on the fact that I'm going to narrow it using your method, and upgrade to 35 spline shafts, is it better to bore it or find one that won't need it....etc. Thanks,
- Zach
Old 05-17-2003, 08:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 19668
btt
Old 05-17-2003, 08:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lurking since 1956

Member # 1041
Send a message via MSN to papee Send a message via Yahoo to papee
Hey cj5in4wd where was that photo taken. I grew up in Lock Haven.

95 YJ 4.0 HO
Mildly modded
Yes I still wheel

papee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2003, 09:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 4321
Send a message via ICQ to DEnd Send a message via AIM to DEnd Send a message via MSN to DEnd Send a message via Yahoo to DEnd
Ok CJwhateverthehellyournameisitsureislong,
I've got a question for you! Since it sounds to me like you will be buying new wheels and tires anyway why go with a 15" wheel? A 17" wheel will still allow a 37" tire to conform to the rocks yet give you less sidewall flex. Thus making the rig more stable. If you will be driving this rig on the street alot then that will be a good thing. Also then you will have plenty of room to play with the axle width so you can run the outside of tire to outside of tire width you want and still have a scrub radius close to zero. Which again is important on the the street as it will reduce the amount of wear your tires will see.

Last edited by DEnd; 05-17-2003 at 09:51 PM.
DEnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2003, 11:36 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 10290
In regards to your "Not having enough breakers" Dilemna, How about using the 220V breaker for the stove or dryer? I used to have my welder on the same circuit as the stove. Wife would say"You want me to start dinner or you gonna weld all night?"*Mental note*=Dinner time!

WEPS
weps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.