TJ Frame Drain? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2001, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 4221
Location: Ontario
Posts: 159
Post TJ Frame Drain?

Anyone know why they didn't put a drain hole at the bottom of the frame? This sucks! Mud and water just pool in the frame , and rot it out. Has anyone drilled a hole to fix this? Were is the best place, so not to affect the strength? And howm big? <IMG SRC="smilies/mad.gif" border="0">
__________________
" Tested the Limits of Japanese Technology and moved on"
http://home.off-road.com/~ovo/feature.htm
Mud_Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Member # 3169
Location: Arizona
Posts: 216
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Mud_Lite:
<STRONG>Anyone know why they didn't put a drain hole at the bottom of the frame? This sucks! Mud and water just pool in the frame , and rot it out. Has anyone drilled a hole to fix this? Were is the best place, so not to affect the strength? And howm big? <IMG SRC="smilies/mad.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
One of the additional benefits of off-camber wheeling and rollovers.
__________________
98TJ; AtlasII; 35 SSR's; ARB's, etc
AzJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2001, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Member # 792
Location: El Dorado County CA
Posts: 2,176
Post

Mud? Water? What are these things????

The only water we have out here comes in plastic bottles and jugs.

Mud? Thats what the laydees put on their face to make them purdee <IMG SRC="smilies/wink.gif" border="0">
__________________
01 TJ
Dan-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5021
Location: Lincoln, CA
Posts: 6,007
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan-H:
<STRONG>Mud? Water? What are these things????

The only water we have out here comes in plastic bottles and jugs.

Mud? Thats what the laydees put on their face to make them purdee <IMG SRC="smilies/wink.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
BWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!

<IMG SRC="smilies/laughing.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/laughing.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/laughing.gif" border="0">
__________________
Don't be "THAT GUY" on the trail.

www.voodoowax.com
The Rockslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
oldjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Member # 3511
Location: MN
Posts: 5,429
Post

In CJ frames, the problem solves itself. A drain hole forms in the appropriate location over time <IMG SRC="smilies/wink.gif" border="0"> Seriously though, drilling a hole won't help much - it will just clog with mud anyway. If it really bothers you, hose it out after playing in the mud.
__________________
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 4137
Location: Ottawa , Canada Eh!!!!
Posts: 1,928
Post

At least if it clogs up with mud I have something to unclog it. how can I hose it out if it has no were to go in the first place. I can see this being a problem down the road, that can be fixed. I just wonder if anyone else has fawked his frame by doing this. Bad stress points ...etc.
mudlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 62
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 5,992
Post

if mud can get in you must be able to get it out with out needing more holes, otherwise it wouldnt get in in the first place. If its a real problem clean it real good have the inside treated with rust converter and seal up any holes in the frame so nothing can get in
__________________
Jeff Neves
NE-RokToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 11:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Member # 7174
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 109
Thumbs up

I added drain holes to my new (to me) YJ frame, which I installed earlier this year. Four holes in total, each 3/8", and they're located at the ends of the long "flat" spots in the middle, between where the frame bends upwards to clear each axle. Right next to the frame spring hanger brackets/LCA mounts.

The real problem we're dealing with here is that mud & crap gets in the big crumple-zone holes in the sides & top of the frame rails, and can't drain back out again.

I'd suggest adding small drain holes like mine, and than putting electrical tape or something over the big holes I mentioned before. That'll keep the big globs out, and whatever does get in can exit through the drains.

YMMV of course,
Chris
__________________
Check out my Jeep's web page:
[url="http://www.bc4x4.com/chrisw"]www.bc4x4.com/chrisw[/url]
cwate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 4967
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 992
Post

just run hose in the holes that are already there and let it run untill the water coming out is clear, man this was a hard one to figure out. <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0">
__________________
2000 tj with some stuff.

2006 f250 with some stuff
Drunk Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 4221
Location: Ontario
Posts: 159
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by TeraTJ:
<STRONG>just run hose in the holes that are already there and let it run untill the water coming out is clear, man this was a hard one to figure out. <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
So how do I get the last 1/2" of water out of the frame? Thats the point. There are no drain holes in the bottom of the frame. A hose will not get silt out of the frame, no matter how long you run a hose there.

I will however drill 4 new holes in all corners around 5/8" dia. This WILL alow water to drain out.

<IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
__________________
" Tested the Limits of Japanese Technology and moved on"
http://home.off-road.com/~ovo/feature.htm
Mud_Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 05:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 4221
Location: Ontario
Posts: 159
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by NE-RokToy:
<STRONG>if mud can get in you must be able to get it out with out needing more holes, otherwise it wouldnt get in in the first place. If its a real problem clean it real good have the inside treated with rust converter and seal up any holes in the frame so nothing can get in</STRONG>
The problem is the holes are not in the bottom of the frame. They are located on the sides of the frame , which allows for mud to enter and build up to a 3/4" thickness.

Holes will solve the problem!!!!

<IMG SRC="smilies/bounce.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce2.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce2.gif" border="0">
__________________
" Tested the Limits of Japanese Technology and moved on"
http://home.off-road.com/~ovo/feature.htm
Mud_Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 05:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Eric Ruhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 37
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,088
Post

I'm not using the stock YJ skid plate so I yanked the threaded plugs from under the frame (ground them flat then a whack with the pursuader, then fished them out (that was a pain)). I left the holes there for this reason too... to aid in flushing the frame. Although, Old Jeep is correct about the CJ frames <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> I need to put a drain hole at the back yet... I replaced the crapola stock rear crossmember with c-channel and it's closed off right now. I remember my stock CJ crossmember had two big ol' nasty rust holes there from trapped water that ate its way to freedom <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> I closed off the front of the frame to try and reduce the amount of crap that gets in there.
__________________
[url="http://www.colorado4x4.org"]Colorado4x4.org[/url] Wheel the Rockies
Eric Ruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 06:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Station's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Member # 3505
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 1,457
Post

Just a tip for how to keep mid and water from getting in in the first place. Use an expanding foam used for sealing around wiring in buildings(One example is "Great Stuff"). This stuff comes in a can, and can be found cheaply and easily at building supply places(Lowes,Home Depot.....) The stuff comes out as a liquid, and quickly turns into a large mountain of hard, chemical resistant,yellowish foam(can be painted black). The stuff works really great for patching large holes in buildigs, I think it would work great for sealing up the holes in a Jeep frame as well.

Hope that helps,
Sean
Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 05:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 4137
Location: Ottawa , Canada Eh!!!!
Posts: 1,928
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Station:
<STRONG>Just a tip for how to keep mid and water from getting in in the first place. Use an expanding foam used for sealing around wiring in buildings(One example is "Great Stuff"). This stuff comes in a can, and can be found cheaply and easily at building supply places(Lowes,Home Depot.....) The stuff comes out as a liquid, and quickly turns into a large mountain of hard, chemical resistant,yellowish foam(can be painted black). The stuff works really great for patching large holes in buildigs, I think it would work great for sealing up the holes in a Jeep frame as well.

Hope that helps,
Sean</STRONG>
This may help except for a few things. If I plan on chnging suspension systems later, and need to weld to the frame, this could be a very bad thing. Second , This foam would stop mud, but I think it would trap water. Water has a way of making it past the foam, or finding smaller holes that have not been filled. Once the water is in it would be very very difficult to get out.

Why are people so against drilling holes in the frame????????
mudlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 05:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Member # 3169
Location: Arizona
Posts: 216
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Mud Lite:
<STRONG>This may help except for a few things. If I plan on chnging suspension systems later, and need to weld to the frame, this could be a very bad thing. Second , This foam would stop mud, but I think it would trap water. Water has a way of making it past the foam, or finding smaller holes that have not been filled. Once the water is in it would be very very difficult to get out.

Why are people so against drilling holes in the frame????????</STRONG>
Drill away if you like, though I really don't think the water in the frame is that big of an issue....Course, I'm saying that from Arizona.
__________________
98TJ; AtlasII; 35 SSR's; ARB's, etc
AzJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 08:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Member # 3659
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 320
Send a message via AIM to Hoyden
Post

This spring, after still having sand in my frame from a beach wheeling trip the fall before, I drilled a small (3/8") hole in the corner of each of the level sections of the frame. Now after wheeling in mud (on the way to the rocks) I hose the frame out and make sure that the holes stay open. I painted mine with POR 15 to prevent rust around the holes. Seems to work well.

Jackie Cooper
99 TJ
Hoyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.