Experienced Opinions Needed on Steering Gear Options - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2001, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
cmk

Member # 987
Experienced Opinions Needed on Steering Gear Options

The stock steering gear box on my TJ is leaking again. I've rebuilt it once already with new seals (lasted for about 40k miles) and vowed that I would never do it again.

AGR's SB2 seems to be the easiest choice (potentially not the most cost effective). In doing some searches, there appear to be some people that are none too happy with AGR. I don't care to make a similar potential mistake.

My TJ's gonna' sit on 35's for some time to come, so I'm thinking that I do not need to go as far as hydro assist. But to leave my options open, if I did plan on going to hydro assist some day, what would be my best way to go for now?

I would like to get a new or rebuilt steering gear unit in it ... something with the features of the SB2.

Should I have my stock gearbox rebuilt to specs similar to the SB2 by an experienced pro? Or is that not possible? If it is, can I some day have the stock box modified for hydro assist duty like the guys at West Texas Off Road do?

Or, should I go with a completely new box? Again, AGR or something else?

Living in WI leaves a LOT of highway miles between home and the trails, so I need something that is good for about 90% on road and 10% off road duty. Again, 35" tires will be the max.

I know it's a lot of unorganized questions, but I'm not sure what my options are when it comes to steering gear. If all else fails, I'll just cut the check to AGR.

cm "help me, PLEASE!" k
cmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3645
CMK,

I would talk with West Texas Offroad, and see if they can set you up with a box.

Not to step on your toes, but maybe when you rebuilt it something "went wrong". It could happen. Maybe see if they can rebuild your stock box and give it a shot?

Just my $.02
IndyCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2001, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
cmk

Member # 987
As I said, I rebuilt it once using Mopar seals. Before that it was leaking like a bitch in heat. Everything held leakproof for about 40k on road and off road miles. I'm guessing I did something right.

cm "there's always a doubting Thomas" k
cmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 940
SB2 box is a rebuilt Firebird box. They are in the 76-78 years I think. I haven't ever looked at a TJ box to see what is different about them. They use o-ring lines I bet and what size is the input shaft? 36 spline or less? How many bolts do they use to hold them to the frame 3 or 4?
www.KICKASSOFFROAD.COM
916-434-6978
Custom Sway Bars and Axles built to order.

Got 40 spline? I have the hubs, spindles, and axles you need to kickass!
Custom Hummer wheels and centers
Axle Resplining
66CJdean is offline   Reply With Quote