engine dying - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2003, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11973
Send a message via ICQ to Murfman Send a message via Yahoo to Murfman
engine dying

i have an 87 yj with 4.2 and an mpi fuel injection kit on it. yesterday on the way wheeling, it started to loose power like it was running out of gas. we got it started and what is wierd is, if you sprayed wd-40 in the throttle body, it ran like a champ. it only does this when it is hot, about 210 on the guage. you let it cool down and it runs fine. i cleaned the k&n and changed out the fuel filter. i replaced the throttle possition sensor about 5 months ago. i have noticed a raw gasoline smell but cant find any leaks. im thinking that its running rich and that is causing the temp to go up and shutting the computer down, killing the engine. lots of gas comes out of the valve on the fuel rail, one of the first things we checked cuz of the "running out of gas symptoms" i havent been able to duplicate it since i changed the fuel filter but it hasnt been as hot either.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 14841
Overheating will not occur from too rich a mixture. It might happen if the mixture is too lean. Assuming your temperature gauge is correct, 210 degrees is not excessively hot. It shouldn’t have an issue at that temperature. I vote for vapor lock. As I recall, the Mopar system uses an in-line fuel pump that draws from the tank. This can sometimes lead to vapor lock issues. I would invest in a fuel pressure gauge and see what happens to the pressure when it starts this again. If your pump is near anything hot, you can relocate it. Or you can install an in tank pump.

-Old Army
Old Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2003, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 9722
Sounds like a bad fuel pump. I'm not familiar with how the MPI kit deals with that issue. I assume they include a high pressure pump in the kit??? Have you done a fuel pressure test?
TexasBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 11973
Send a message via ICQ to Murfman Send a message via Yahoo to Murfman
btt
Old 07-08-2003, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 4228
Send a message via AIM to AGGIECJ-7
i would be willing to bet you have a vacume leak. i had the same problem with mine. i thought it was the gaskets on the carb but it turned out to be the gaskets on the intake/exhaust manifold. jeep had a shitty designe and the intake and exhaust gasket it all one piece. i have been through two of them on mine. take that WD40 and spray it around the intake manifold. if the idle goes up then you need to pinpoint the problem. the reason that it runs better with wd-40 is because with a vacume leake, too much air is getting into the combustion chambers.

hope this helps....it will be easier to check for a vacume leak before replacing parts...
02 Ram 2500 - Cummins, 4x4, 6spd
AGGIECJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote