Pirate 4x4 banner

Project: Should of Started with a Beater

4K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  BattyblueCB 
#1 · (Edited)
The goal of the next phase of my build is to get on 40's. Who knows why i bought a 04 rubicon with 14k miles on it to cut up. Anyway at first I was going to build all my brackets and trusses ect. But my jeep is an hour away and I work a a lot. So I'm going to buy quite a bit to make it easier and less time consuming.

I'm very open to feedback. And about halfway through all my plans. I have about 8 more weeks to get ready for spring. Ill post up my non hardcore past with some pictures only and then get into good shit. Give me a few days to get up to current day.

Plans

Front 3 link w/panhard bar (artec brackets)

Front 86-89 king pin HP 60
Artec arms
Artec truss, brackets and hydro skid
Ruff Stuff diff cover
5.13 gears
Front spool
Full hydro PSC steering
14" ORI STX struts
ECGS 35 spline outers and drive slugs

Rear double triangulated 4 link

Rear 2001 14 bolt w/stock disk brakes
Artec brackets, truss, pinion skid and tie in.
Ruff Stuff diff cover
TMR shave kit
5.13 Turned Motive gears
Spool
14" ORI STX struts

Barnes flat skid
Ruff Stuff bushings for trans x member
Griffin radiator
Currie Motor mounts 1" lift
Barnes front winch plate with pass through for suck down.
Atx back half kit
Rci fuel cell
Full cage
5 points and bucket seats

See less See more
#8 ·
Then jacked up the tranny flush. Had to get rid of some floor. Ill box it in later on. Right now the skid is at 1/2 because of transfer case is hanging down a bit.

Started with a small hole....

And ended up with this.

I will have to take some more pictures of the final x member. And if your wondering the green was some primer I found while doing my lift kit haha.

on to the rear cross member for the suspension.

The frame was plated with 1/4 where the x member mounts. Still protecting my vertical welds.

Everything is perfectly square and exact. What a pain...

#11 ·
Welcome to the Kyle and Ken show.

We ended up shaving the 14. Used a TMR shave kit and a shaved down ring gear by motive.

To get a mark around the bottom of the diff we marked the face of the differential and lowered the axle into water until we hit the mark. it ended up making a nice crisp water line which we then marked with a sharpie.

There are many ways to cut the bottom off but we ended up using a sawzal. After the first cut we quickly figured out we didn't cut enough and ended up grinding about another 1/4 off.

This is a picture of the stock cover up against the diff.

We pre heated to over 400 degrees, welded it up while continuously heating it, peened it, post heated it and wrapped it in a frew welding blankets to let it slowly cool over night.

The outside welds don't look perrrdy after the post heat and hits from a welding hammer. We did three passes and burned in in HOT.

Inside of diff.

We cut a ruff stuff cover and welded the other part of the shave kit to kit.

So a shaved 14 bolt is supposed to have the ground Clearence of a dana 44. I took a measurement to compare. If I keep the rig low enough the pinion angle shouldn't be too steep and the bottom of the diff should be good and parallel to the ground. 3.75 inches

#13 ·

Welded up pinion guard

Welded up rear truss. Obviously not welded to axle yet.

Started welding up the front truss/ hydro mount.

And started doing some body work.

But the bigger news! I ordered tires!!! Maxxis trapadors competition (aka stickies). I got them used tread wear is about 70%. Figured ill rock them for a few years then grove them and rock them for a few more. I don't have them yet so I took the upside down picture fro
The sales add. Thanks for the good eye Jeff!

Lastly I had to get some bead locks. I ended up getting raceline RT 233 monster aluminum beadlocks with a steel ring. I only got 4 but plan on ordering another in spring time when I find a spare trep.

#23 ·
My buddies Ken and Shane came over on Sunday to lend a giant hand. Sorry about the shitty photos I guess my phone was a little dirty ill replace them next week with better ones.

Rear truss was welded to axle.

Front truss was welded to axle, hydro ram was mocked up and welded to the massive skid, and the altec high steer arms were installed.

Rear frame was mocked up and cut down for bumper and welded into place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.