chevy springs - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2003, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 18196
chevy springs

i am wanting to run rear chevy springs on my yj. im getting ready to comp cut and extend the wheel base so what do i need to know about picking out the springs and were i can get new ones. also what mods have to be done to run them because i think the are like 63 inches long right? please help.
chadburgin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 477
Send a message via Yahoo to Keith Strong
Re: chevy springs

Quote:
Originally posted by jyurs
also what mods have to be done to run them because i think the are like 63 inches long right? please help.
They need to be cross drilled for weight savings.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2003, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
if you have to ask what mods need to be done to run a longer spring, do you really think you should be tackling this?

maybe start with something simpler. like a brake job.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
MC
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21997
Send a message via Yahoo to MC
i would run some springs from a blazer they dont really get tweaked as much as truck springs and make sure you get the hangers if you had a cj frame you could take the rear end with springs and hangers and bolt it to the frame cj frames (rear) same width as blazer.....good luck

Fully machined components
We own the MFG process, click me
.................................................. .........

American Motors Engine HERE!!
TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689
MC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 940
A 63" spring make for allot of spring overhang. Youll be slamming the shackles on every dropoff. Ford F150 springs are a better choice IMO. They arn't as long but have a nice center pin offset so they end up seeming shorter than they are.
www.KICKASSOFFROAD.COM
916-434-6978
Custom Sway Bars and Axles built to order.

Got 40 spline? I have the hubs, spindles, and axles you need to kickass!
Custom Hummer wheels and centers
Axle Resplining
66CJdean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 20374
Send a message via AIM to Grapehead
or yota springs. 52" long with like 8" offset

[QUOTE=Harry Johnson]If Jesus reads pirate4x4, we're ALL screwed.[/QUOTE]
Grapehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 18371
what yota springs are 52 inches?
INFAMOUSBUTCHER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 18196
Quote:
Originally posted by Mo
if you have to ask what mods need to be done to run a longer spring, do you really think you should be tackling this?

maybe start with something simpler. like a brake job.
thanks for the warning there but i think i can manage being that i have done everything else to my jeep from the soa on.just really wondering best place to get the springs and the best years if that matters.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3654
63's are too long. comp cut (wtf is a comp cut?) and then springs hangin a foot past the rear of the tub?

good idea.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 3654
if you have to run a longer spring, run a 52" 1/2 ton GM spring.

Old 08-19-2003, 09:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6340
Toy's are 45 I run toys in the front of jeep (love them) I agree with Mo if you dont have a clue what to do don't bother. Find a shop to have it done... 63 inch chevy need to be modifed anyway.

Oh and don't listen to MC the hangers won't work for you frame not to mention they are riveted on and welded on. so if you need a Bling Bling Billet Oil filler cap he is the Man, but so far I am still suprised he isn,t tuning up for the first cocnert.

In what appears to have been an understatement, the plant operator described the situation at the Number 4 reactor as "not so good."

Super conversion calculator website

Love and kisses, Zaphod..
ItsaCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 10:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 1792
I put XJ rear springs on the rear of my CJ-5.52" long with a 3.5" pin offset.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 3654
wonder how the xj springs work up front with a V-8 sittin on'em?
Old 08-20-2003, 08:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 20374
Send a message via AIM to Grapehead
89-95 yota truck rears are 52" with about an 8" offset

got a set sittin in teh garage as we speak.

[QUOTE=Harry Johnson]If Jesus reads pirate4x4, we're ALL screwed.[/QUOTE]
Grapehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2003, 12:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 14731
Quote:
Originally posted by ItsaCJ6
I agree with Mo if you dont have a clue what to do don't bother.
I disagree with this philosophy. If everyone in history had followed this example, we would all still be hairy assed apes. As it is now, we are at least not apes (hairy asses - i dont want to speculate on you guys' body hair )

My point is, that we are all different. Some of you guys have been working on jeeps/fords/chevys for as long as you can remember. Some of you have old/spare parts sitting out in the backyard, so you can go measure them and say, "hell naw, that wont work". Or you have a torn down axle or engine taking up space in the garage that you can go look at. But there was a point in time when you didnt know which springs to use when you were extending your wheelbase. You probably picked this info up by talking with others, or seeing different rigs and asking about their mods. And I know this is a hardcore board, and I certainly enjoy reading it and picking up new info, because I want to be one of those guys who knows everything. I just want to be one of the ones who encourages someone to work on his own rig, rather than give a JU reply such as "Find a shop to do it".
Road Head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2003, 01:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 3654
Quote:
Originally posted by Road Head

I disagree with this philosophy. If everyone in history had followed this example, we would all still be hairy assed apes. As it is now, we are at least not apes (hairy asses - i dont want to speculate on you guys' body hair )

My point is, that we are all different. Some of you guys have been working on jeeps/fords/chevys for as long as you can remember. Some of you have old/spare parts sitting out in the backyard, so you can go measure them and say, "hell naw, that wont work". Or you have a torn down axle or engine taking up space in the garage that you can go look at. But there was a point in time when you didnt know which springs to use when you were extending your wheelbase. You probably picked this info up by talking with others, or seeing different rigs and asking about their mods. And I know this is a hardcore board, and I certainly enjoy reading it and picking up new info, because I want to be one of those guys who knows everything. I just want to be one of the ones who encourages someone to work on his own rig, rather than give a JU reply such as "Find a shop to do it".

awwww...............that was sweet. now take this reply some place where someone cares.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 14731
Quote:
Originally posted by FULLSIZE

awwww...............that was sweet.
I know, I know, I was feeling good because I just got finished with my foot long, chicken pizziola from Subway. It was on parmesean oregano bread. Ahh, that was some good stuff.
Road Head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2003, 09:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 18196
what yota springs should i buy. lift wise? i am running soa with stock springs and rancho add a leafs now. what should i run up front? what will i need to make it sit even
Old 08-21-2003, 08:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6340
Quote:
Originally posted by Road Head

Lets look at it this way if it looks dangerous it might be dangerous right... If it looks difficult, it might be difficult If it walks like a Dumbass and it Talks like a retard well..... Possibly things like saving the lives of inocent people in the oncoming traffic lane is something I think about when I cut things off and weld them onto my rig ... Now if you go look at the all Bootyfab links you will see that there are people who have no regard for the lives others..

Now

In what appears to have been an understatement, the plant operator described the situation at the Number 4 reactor as "not so good."

Super conversion calculator website

Love and kisses, Zaphod..

Last edited by ItsaCJ6; 08-21-2003 at 08:22 AM.
ItsaCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2003, 08:33 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 13582
Quote:
Originally posted by jyurs
what yota springs should i buy. lift wise? i am running soa with stock springs and rancho add a leafs now. what should i run up front? what will i need to make it sit even
Use the front springs off a 1992 toyota 4x4. Should work perfectly.

The yota rear springs on my truck sit fairly level, there is some arch to them. If i were to use them up front of my jeep i would probably add a few leaves to them. Maybe even add a one or two if i used em in the rear end.

www.misfitoffroad.com
UP_ROKTOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2003, 09:25 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 8824
Whoa! I guess the, "let's not have newbie's idea" applies to let's be an asshole too! you guys are really being jackass(s)

I'm running the long 63" spring in the back of my 7, and I "comp cut" the fenders to make way for the added wheel base" I got my springs from the 1-ton truck I pulled the axles from. I took the springs apart and removed half of the leaves. Yes there is an overhang, but it's not bad considering the 44's I'm running are barely in front of the shackles. I placed them in the original spring hanger on the frame and just added tube to the frame in the rear, I have a nice little deck I'll be putting a receiver in for a vice.

Another good choice for springs is also the F-150's, Toyota's, and the Cherokee rears, but with any spring you'll need some type of anti-wrap bar. In my opinion run what you can get cheap and easy. I have a friend who is also swapping the toy rear leaves into the back of his Jeep. My wheelbase is right at 110 with 44's, his is going to be about 108 with 42's. Good luck and post some pics, I would but no digi cam
Jayrockn7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2003, 10:50 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 2817
Umm, did you try this before you posted?

Chevy Spring FAQ
XJEric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2003, 01:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 18196
Thanks for the answers, even the real ones as well. does it not effect the spring flex and ride on the rode by mounting the spring backwards? and another question, does stretching the wheel base effect on rode driving. i now my turning radius will be affected but what else?
Old 08-21-2003, 03:08 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 8824
OK, now I'm going to hit you with the flames......should you be doing this swap if you're are worried about "on road" manners? and to the point no it shouldn't matter if the spring is turned around or your wheelbase is stretched, you're just making it longer it's not rocket science
Jayrockn7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2003, 11:21 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 3654
Quote:
Originally posted by Jayrockn7
OK, now I'm going to hit you with the flames......
wow, you really layed on the afterburners with that one. i think my mom hits harder than that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.