TeraLow install question... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2001, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4577
TeraLow install question...

I installed my NP231 TeraLow on Saturday. Everything went smoothly and it runs great. Crawls like a monger! I have one question though. When I put the spring from the drain plug back in, it put too much force on the shifting gear. I wasn't able to get the gears into 4 high, neutral, or 4 low, only 2 high worked. I removed the spring and it was able to move shifter like I was able to before I installed the TeraLow.
Is this normal?
I'm afriad that while I'm driving the gear is going to slip off of the notch that I've previously shifted into.
I was thinking of cutting the spring's length, so that there would be sufficient force on the notches of the shifting gear to keep it in place. Yet still be weak enough to allow the shifting gear to move when I want to shift.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5809
im confused you said it crawls like a monger what ever the fawk that is??? Anyways how do you know it crawls so well if you werent able to get it in 4lo? Am I missing something here

But to answer your question yes your probably going to need that shift detent plug. Also NOTE this, becarefull when installing this plug not to beach it to much cuz i seemed to bust mine in half.. It wasnt fun taping it out not to mention getting reeeemed at the jeep dealership for a new one. Also remember to break in the planetary gears on the tera low...
RoCkSkuLLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2001, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4577
Sorry, let me simplify. What I was saying was that with the spring INSIDE the case I'm not able to get the linkage to move, there is too much force created by the spring. With the spring OUT I am able to move the linkage and get it into 4 low. I am able to drive it in 4 low with the spring OUT of the case. That's how am able to tell it crawls well. You don't NEED the spring inside to get it into 4lo. What I need to know is if anyone had to cut the spring so that the force is SUFFICIENT to hold the gear in place and still be able to move when the linkage is moved.

Last edited by sk8zero; 12-11-2001 at 08:26 AM.
sk8zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5809
When I installed my Tera Low I didnt have to cut anything. The shift detent plug and spring when right in. It didnt make the shifting any harder. You might want to call Tera Flex and ask them. They have a pretty goood technical staff.
RoCkSkuLLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4295
Send a message via AIM to BabyWrangle
My Tera install also went fine. Well except for that nagging little part where I was sent the wrong fawking one. But after that was cleared up it went fine. One thing you might want to check is to make sure that the spring and plug are assembled in the correct order. I could understand if the spring is riding on the shift rail that it would be impossible to shift. Reason I say this is because a moron friend of mine who was hanging out while I was installing mine thought it would be a good idea to "help" me while I went to the john. Turns out he put the spring in, then the shift detent plug, then the bolt to seal it up. I came back not knowing he had done this and went to try and shift it when I was done and it wouldn't move. Thats when he asked me if the spring did anything . Just throwing out ideas of what could be wrong since thats the only thing I could think of since you say it shifts fine without the spring.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4577
Hmmm... The hole wasn't large enough in diameter for the detent plug to fit from the outside. I had to place the detent plug in the hole from the inside of the case. I could get the spring in from the outside though.
I think I will call Tera and see.