Pirate 4x4 banner

Power takeoff and onboard air

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  iroc86 
#1 ·
I just bought an SM465/NP205 transmission and t-case, and it would kinda neat to run an onboard air compressor from the PTO output on the NP205. Has anyone done this before? Any ideas on how it can be done... preferably cheap?

#5 ·
oldyellowwagoneer said:
The main problem I see is how to connect it. You can't use direct drive because you have to be able to cycle it on and off, and running a pully on the shaft would require some interesting brackets. Dennis
Direct drive would be fine almost every semi tractor uses a compressor that is always tuning. They use a governor unloader to put the compressor into a mode where it does not compress. There are also many other types of unloaders that woud work with any other type of compressor.

#6 ·
bobdog said:

Direct drive would be fine almost every semi tractor uses a compressor that is always tuning. They use a governor unloader to put the compressor into a mode where it does not compress.
But those are driven off of the engine gear train not a tranny PTO.

PTO driven driven compressors are available. There are two shops here in Sac that carry full lines of PTO equipment, Bearing and Seal Supply in downtown Sac, and Foresburg & McGlaughnin(sp?) off of Roseville Rd.
My thing with a PTO driven air compressor is weight and size.
There is not a lot of room under my YJ, and PTO can be somewhat bulky. They also usually hang down some, eating up valuble ground clearence.
I would also expect the air compressor to be driven off of a driveshaft, not bolted directly to the PTO. This means you need to figure out where to mount the compressor, and how to route the driveshaft. Depending upon what side the PTO access is on the tranny, and what side your front driveshaft is, you may have to go forward with the PTO driveshaft. Meaning fighting for space with your engine.
Another alternative, although I don't think you can do it with off the shelf parts, would be to run a hydraulic pump off of the PTO, and use a hydraulic motor on the compressor. But this set up would be VERY heavy.

#8 · (Edited)
Mo said:
go direct if you want. pressure switch will flip the clutch of an ac compressor on/off as necessary.
Where do you plan on attaching the shaft?If you mount it to the front plate you will be direct drive. I suppose if you welded some bolts on the outside of the pulley and made a plate that bolted to

BOBDOG said:
Direct drive would be fine almost every semi tractor uses a compressor that is always tuning. They use a governor unloader to put the compressor into a mode where it does not compress. There are also many other types of unloaders that woud work with any other type of compressor. [/i]
This is true only if the compressor has unloader piston(s) I am under the impression He wants to use an a/c compressor which does not .

#9 ·
oldyellowwagoneer said:

This is true only if the compressor has unloader piston(s) I am under the impression He wants to use an a/c compressor which does not .
There are also presure switches that simply unload. They would be compatible with any compressor. When the pressure builds to a certain point the compressor just blows the air out an unloader valve.

#11 ·
Good info here, everyone -- thanks. The PTO idea for my YJ was just a little accessory thing I was thinking of. I have yet to mount the transmission and transfer case, as I'm in the process of swapping in a V8 with Dana 44's SOA. I have to see how much room I have underneath, and I wanted to get an idea of everything that's out there in the way of PTO stuff. Maybe a PTO winch instead?

#12 ·
iroc86 said:
Maybe a PTO winch instead?
Hydraulic or shaft driven?

With a hydraulic set up, you would have to mount a reservoir, route the lines, and find a pump that would fit.
The shaft driven winches are usually too big for practical use on a Jeep. You would also have route a driveshaft past the engine, steering and front suspension.

I would prefer to have an electric winch for weight, and the versatility.

#13 ·
Robert said:

Hydraulic or shaft driven?
Hydraulic would be my first choice. The whole setup, including the pump and resevoir, would probably weigh a ton though -- and this cast iron transmission and transfer case aren't exactly the lightest thing in a Wrangler.

I've seen a shaft-driven PTO winch on here before, but that was on a CJ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.