NP435 conversion - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2003, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 12691
NP435 conversion

Alrighty Gents,

Going to be mating my 4.0L to an NP435/Klune/NP205 combo. I've already spoken with the boys over at Novak and I've already found the T150 bellhousing I'll need to mate the motor/tranny.

Here's where I need information -- anyone know of a good write-up on this or similar conversion? This is the furthest I've venture up the powertrain and I'll be needing to learn quite a bit about matching parts....most importantly about input shaft length, pilot bushings, throw-outs, clutches & clutch travel master/slave relationships...yada, yada, you know the drill - NEED MORE KNOWLEDGE.

Oh, and for the curious -- it's a stretched, one-ton TJ project that you'll all be reading more about next spring...lots of parts to buy before the surgery begins!!!

Thanks,
TN

[url]www.tgtwoffroad.com[/url]
Go_Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1065
Why are you choosing the NP435?
Is your TJ still gonna be streetable?..The NP435 is a pretty crappy street tranny. Its noisy, doesnt shift beutifully between gears, has a huge ratio gap between 1 and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd,(not too noticeable if you have ample, and wide ranging HP. It has no synchro to 1st gear, and has a tendency to pop out of first if your shim set up is not perfect.
The input shaft, throw out retainer is also prone to breaking off.

It is a fairly strong tranny and they are dirt cheap, but you need to be a master of finding the sweet spot if you need speed shifting on an agressive, throttled climb. They also sound like someone left a tool in gear cluster when cruising at highway speeds, and they shimmy baddly(even set up well within specs) when backing off the throttle at highway speeds.
Basicly, they are a truck/tractor tranny, with an emphasis towards tractor.

Just curiouse,..it seems strange that someone would choose an NP 435 for a TJ. It really doesnt have a lot of great attributes other than a 6.68 low range 1st gear.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2003, 06:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
Here's the article I wrote about using the Novak setup for the 435 - Dana 300 adapter.

should give you some background info. The adapter kit is pretty easy to do.

rest of what I did is different than you, but none of it is rocket science.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 07:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3645
Quote:
Originally posted by Mo
Here's the article I wrote about using the Novak setup for the 435 - Dana 300 adapter.

should give you some background info. The adapter kit is pretty easy to do.

rest of what I did is different than you, but none of it is rocket science.
Here's the article Mo's referring to.

Clicky Clicky
IndyCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
Quote:
Originally posted by IndyCJ

Here's the article Mo's referring to.

Clicky Clicky
Thanks.

Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 16405
Quote:
Originally posted by H8monday
Why are you choosing the NP435?
I just put one in my CJ7 and have none of the problems mentioned above. I am not a whiz bang mechanic and didn't do anything to set it up, other than bolt it on with a new clutch. Had to fab a new skid plate, and raise the motor, but that is more because I wanted better ground clearance (the NP435 is deep). No noise, wobble, etc. and it does great on the highway. I rarely use 1st, so the synchro is a non issue. I had a T150 before, so this is a big improvement for me
Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 04:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Quote:
Originally posted by Comet

I just put one in my CJ7 and have none of the problems mentioned above. I am not a whiz bang mechanic and didn't do anything to set it up, other than bolt it on with a new clutch. Had to fab a new skid plate, and raise the motor, but that is more because I wanted better ground clearance (the NP435 is deep). No noise, wobble, etc. and it does great on the highway. I rarely use 1st, so the synchro is a non issue. I had a T150 before, so this is a big improvement for me
I second that... I have one in my TJ that i rebuilt and i have had no problems with it growling, or shimmy'ing. I dont use 1st on the street either. Only bad thing is that the 2nd to 3rd shift is not exactly a smooth , quick transition.... but then again, its not a sports car
Azzy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 04:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 14364
I have a 435 in an old beater truck and it is nothing like the tranny that H8 describes. It shifts as well as any truck 4 speed I have ever owned and is not noisy. It wont shift super quick and first is not syncroniized but so what it would be a great Jeep tranny. I run a T18 in my Jeep and like it a lot. Powershifts are out of the question but it has not been an issue. In a trail rig I will take the short, lowgeared, bulletproof truck fourspeeds (435 T18 465 420) over any other manual trannys.
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 15121
np 435

I have one in my YJ and am very satisfied with it. It is a little noisy, but that doesn't bother me. It shifts really smooth and does not vibrate or wobble. The low gearing keeps me from going any faster than I should.

If money is not an option it would be nice to go with a NV4500 though.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 20754
Here is a write-up for you. This is for a 435 D20 in a 4.0 YJ but it will get you going, The tranny/motor end should be the same.

You will need a Clutch slave cyl. from an 80-82 CJ 4 cyl,($70 from www.4wd.com), an adapter pilot bushing (~$25 from AA) and some kind of CPS relocation kit, you can try to do it yourself or buy a kit, I will be relocating mine onto the T-150 BH by making a braket that will bolt on by the two neighboring BH Bolts.

There are a few more wrie ups out there for doing the swap into a 4.0 YJ, try doing a google search.
Tall Grille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 05:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 1065
Well I guess you guys arent as critical with your equiptment as I am.
I have been running an NP435 in my Jeep for the last 4 years. And because I have blown up 3 of them I have had the chance to experience both the ones I built myself and 2 that were put together by top notch tranny guys. I have the HP to pull any speed I want when driving the freeways and hyways, so I typically cruise at 75 to 80 mph. I have put 25 thousand road miles on these trannies,..and I can tell you that I have listened to hundreds of hours of the noises put out by these trannies. I also know of dozens of other guys who have experienced the same, and have even been questioned by many who followed my advice about running this tranny,.."is the noise in these things normal?".
Ask almost anyone who has run one for more than a couple of trail rides, if they have never experienced the shifter walking out of 1st gear in certain rpms. Im not saying that the NP435 is a piece of crap, but it does have a lot of quirks. For those of you with the totaly quiet ones that shift like buttah, Im happy for you, but I can tell you that after you take them out and beat the hell out of them for a more than a trip to the gas station and back, you will experience some or most of the quirks I am talking about.
Oh and they are strong but not bullet proof. The front of the housings are prone to cracking if impacted so they should be protected with a skid, the gear cluster are also known to bind up under extreme loads in reverse, and can crack the housing.

Take it for what its worth, Im just giving real world experience with this tranny.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 12691
Thanks for the info and sharing the tales. My rig is a trailer queen and since I'm doing everything else to it, I thought I'd go ahead and replace the AX-15 before it gave up the ghost....and 6.68 is sooooo saucy.

[url]www.tgtwoffroad.com[/url]
Go_Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 08:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 21461
Send a message via AIM to thundr undrgrond
i never ran a 435, nut i have had many a chevy with the 465, and right now i have a jeep with one too, anf ill agree with h8, the 465 is noisy, a pain to shift, pops out of granny and reverse. its just an ignorant tranny all together, but i love them, low first gear, takes a beatin, short. after killing a couple newer 5 speeds, that 465 still takes a poundin, so ill deal with its issues
thundr undrgrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 12:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 3549
hey, i did that bc4x4 write-up a while back but i have since changed the drivetrain out...well most of it.

instead of spending huge $ on a klune and adapters you can go the way i did.

5.0-435-203-d300.

my buddy made the 2 adapters with his CNC so reproducing them should be fairly easy to do.
H8 is right though, this tranny is not the most driver friendly choice but i rely on my car to keep me comfortable around town.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 3737
Send a message via AIM to liquidkool
"You will need a Clutch slave cyl. from an 80-82 CJ 4 cyl,($70 from www.4wd.com)"

This slave that Tall Grille mentioned can be purchased at http://www.jeepdoc.com/catalog/zproducts.asp?id=33
Part#: 3241867

For 52 bucks just to save you some $$
Old 10-27-2003, 09:10 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 22966
I'm gonna be doing the same swap behind my 4.0 ltr. I'm looking at a 203/205 doubler kit, or maybe using an EB Dana 20.

It's a good tranny, and there's no need to use 1st on the street with it, so the lack of synchros should not be an issue. The only negative I can see is that on highway it may sound like a UPS truck with some gear whine. But since I'm going from a TF999 with no overdrive, the NP435 on highway should be little change. And yes, that granny gear is the ticket.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:19 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 14470
i love my np435
i have beaten it a bit on quite a few trailrides and 4X stockmod comps (neuroc), yes, its noisy, but i love it.

i dont have the HP that H8 does, but this trans is great as far as i'm concerned.

CB

[QUOTE=Steve N]Thread poster may be hardcore. Post is not. So this is in wrong section.[/QUOTE]
CB87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 10:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 7288
I have one in mine as well and love it. Yes it is a pain shifting it but in my opinion is worth it. It is noisy as hell though but you get used to it. That and I drive a CJ so the 435 just blends in with all the other noises. The only thing I hate is trying to downshift from 3rd to 2nd it never wants to go right in.
[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR] [B][COLOR="Red"]Tellico Rally Post[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Black"][/COLOR] [SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Red"]#147[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
86CJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 03:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 9988
H8, how much HP are you putting through your 435's?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 1065
Quote:
Originally posted by Goat
H8, how much HP are you putting through your 435's?
Right around an honest 300 hp.