rocker guards - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2001, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2128
rocker guards

Can't seem too bring my self too part with the 300 bucks for the avalanche rocker gaurds.Has anyone used angle for there rocker gaurds any Pics?Or should I find a local metal shop with a bad ass metal brake.Looking too make them out of something 1/4 inch thick.Thanks
Bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 7226
I just made my rockers this weekend I used 4x4 1/4 inch Angle iron it cost me 35 bucks for 22ft , That was more than plenty for the rockers, I measured , than I cut the angle iron with a metal cutting blade on my circular saw it worked great , than I drilled 3/8 inch holes in the angle iron about 8 inches apart and I used 3/8 bolts, nuts, washers right into the tub it worked out great, So your looking at 35 bucks for the angle iron, 10 bucks in bolts and washers etc, 10 bucks for a 12 pack, 10 bucks for a nice bag of weed, so all in all about 80 bucks for everything... :
LOS-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2001, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
use the SEARCH feature!
Travis Waldher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 03:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3239
Send a message via AIM to Brad Send a message via Yahoo to Brad
check out steelhorse's rockers, they are the same as curries except they come in flat black instead of gloss. THATS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE and they are WAAAAAY CHEAPER. Steve has some in stock i believe 1-800-504 JEEP
Old 12-24-2001, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 5021
I used 6x6x1/4" angle iron on my YJ. It goes all the way to the frame and almost to the bottom of the door opening. My buddy has 4x4 on his YJ and the little sluice put a nice 12" gash right above the angle iron and just below the door opening.

Or you could do a search

www.voodoowax.com
The Rockslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4247
Had some 1/4 bent up for me, then used some old nerf bars cut them down and put some diamond plate on them. total cost $85.

BlueYJ
Attached Images

Hold my wife back damit.......this is my jeep and I will buy what I want for it!
BlueYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2128
Thanks for the reply that where Subject related.
I did search didn't find what i wanted.If you'll notice i've been hear longer then anyone that replyed.And i look at the sight every day.Just because it says Newbie doesn't mean that i am.

I just don't post useless Shit on a post.That has already been answered by other competent people.
So that my sig says Wheeler and make me feel like a somebody.

So for the people that replyed with what i need Thanks.Too the other post stackers Kiss my ASS
Old 12-24-2001, 11:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 8641

Just get the Avalanche parts. They look great and are tough as hell.
Matt K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 755
Made mine out of 1/4" angle iron that I got for $20.00. Easy to do, extremely tough. Able to High-lift off them, pivot on boulders, slamed the full weight of the Jeep on them with no damage. You will get rock scars on them but that's what they are there for. Can of Krylon in your favorite color is your friend!

If you want instructions on how to do it...email me. Although anyone with a brain can usually figure it out without a lot of thought.

Jeeper
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 01:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigd
I did search didn't find what i wanted.If you'll notice i've been hear longer then anyone that replyed.And i look at the sight every day.Just because it says Newbie doesn't mean that i am.

I just don't post useless Shit on a post.That has already been answered by other competent people.

So for the people that replyed with what i need Thanks.Too the other post stackers Kiss my ASS
Ok, Mr Newbie (it's been said before... how long you been here and how many posts you got has nothing to do with being a newbie or not.

I did a search using "rocker" in JUST the Jeep section, took me 10 minutes... so whats your problem. Read through the posts... tell me, what was said here that wasn't already covered in those? Call me a post stacker huh.. well....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ghlight=rocker

Old 12-26-2001, 09:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 498
Send a message via ICQ to WheelingPiazza Send a message via AIM to WheelingPiazza
Its really simple, why pay 200 for something you can make for less then 50 bucks..

1/4 4x4 angle iron..

Sawzall

counter sink

Screws and nuts.

And paint..

Cost 35 bucks

Old 12-26-2001, 05:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 7980
here are mine, 4x3 1/4"
i think that i should have gone with 3/16" just cause it would be strong enough and not be heavy bitches like these,
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0MwDCDO4PrHltTPwMidA6smeJt1g8wHiYk2CWfIpb8flTGfOVU VNTvKgXK2vpsPgstdmd2f7TT9V2q*XjMy*uKw/DSCF0005.JPG[/img]

crap, can't get the pics to work for some reason, so just take a look at my site

Last edited by Sharp; 12-26-2001 at 05:05 PM.
Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 05:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 2128
What the others on't Have

The three links that you posted twalder.Had a total of 4 pics one of them not very good.It was from a distance.I asked for pics because i wanted too see the difference between the angle iron and a piece of folded metal.

While on the subject.Has any body noticed a difference between the sharp edge of angle compared too the smother roll of a bend.As too getting hung or held on a rock.

So maybe twalder if you got some pics you sould post them thats what i'm looking for.
Old 12-26-2001, 08:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Well.. I read your first post... mostly asking if anyone uses them... then maybe if you have pics. I used 3x5x.250 bolted it to the side, used about 2.5 tubes of silicone to seal the surface between the body and guards.

As far as the sharp edge goes.. the only thing a rolled edge may give you is the easier ability to slide side to side. I can't think of any time that I would be on my rockers and want that. I would just want the ability to go forward. but if you really wanted a rolled edge.. I little time with a grinder would do that.

There is a difference between rolled/pressed sheet metal and angle. Angle is stronger for the same thickness. (I can't remember the reasoning why)

Here's my pics:

http://www.pnw4x4.net/my_ride/upgrad...rs/rockers.htm

didn't post them here, cause they are huge. The rusty bolts have since been replaced with stainless countersunk ones painted black to match the rest of the rockers.
Old 12-26-2001, 09:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 8344
I used some 5x5 1/4" angle and counter sank the bolts so they don't grab on the rocks.
I really like BlueYJ's nerf bars that were welded to the angle iron, that is kewl!
I also took some old diamond plate corners that I had and took them to a local fab shop and had them bend some 3/8" full wraps that start just above the angle iron and wrap all the way around to the tail gate. My tub was pretty much trashed so this ended up making it look damn near good as new plus with stand the rocks a little better.
Old 12-27-2001, 03:10 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 4773
Send a message via AIM to 4x4extreme
Quote:

I think that is the best reply I have read today
#36. If I wanted to drive a foreign 4x I would move to another country.
[color=orange]80 cj 5 104" wb rockwell 16"kings 39.5 tsl[/color]
AND
1995 Hummer H1 Wagon

[SIZE="3"][url=http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhumvee4x4QQhtZ-1]buy my stuff[/url][/SIZE]
4x4extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 04:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 2128
Thanks for the pics twalder.

I think i 'll just go with the angle seems easier.Would like too hear more on the angle strength.Maybe because it was made that way and not bend into shape.

I like the countersunk bolts.I looked in my local hardware store and found some stainless counter sink allen head bolts.But couldn't find a grade rating on any of them.

Do you know if stainless has a normal all around grade or are they also graded like steel bolts and i should just keep looking.Thanks
Old 12-30-2001, 04:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Quote:
Thanks for the pics twalder.

I think i 'll just go with the angle seems easier.Would like too hear more on the angle strength.Maybe because it was made that way and not bend into shape.

I like the countersunk bolts.I looked in my local hardware store and found some stainless counter sink allen head bolts.But couldn't find a grade rating on any of them.

Do you know if stainless has a normal all around grade or are they also graded like steel bolts and i should just keep looking.Thanks
when I talked to Tacoma Screw about stainless bolts. they said they were about the equivalent of grade 5. which is plenty considering that your sheet metal you are bolting to is not. As far as I know, there is only one grade of stainless... and thats what wherever you find it. The countersunk bolts I used were 1/4".

One thing I did on the install when I drilled the holes.. I put the angle up against the body, slapped my hi-lift under it and jacked up the side of the jeep to kind of preload the rocker guards.
Old 12-31-2001, 03:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 8665
http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_u...7281-jeep5.JPG

dude- make your own for SURE! mine are 4x4x1/4. just drill and bolt on. MUCH cheaper and stronger than most.

Last edited by rockr; 12-31-2001 at 03:58 PM.
rockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 06:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 3246
My homecobbled stuff
Attached Images

808-333-9337
PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote