Motormount lift cons - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2004, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11983
Motormount lift cons

Aside from adjusting the fan shroud what are the cons to doing a motormount lift? Oil pump sump have a harder time getting oil at steep angles? Does it mess with the operation of the computer in any way? I couldn't find shit on the subject. Does the tranny and t-case get less fluid in them because of the angle? Really fawk up the t-case linkage or bind the tranny shifting? Anybody got anything for me on the matter?

98 Tj, 4.0, ax-15, super duper 231, 44rear, sye, 6" lift, no bodylift, belly-up skid, hp30 in the front so that angle is fine.

The debate is whether to spend the money on the motormount lift or do the new JB super duper short shaft and spend more money on the 231. I genuinely don't have the money for the Atlas but do have the money for the shorter shaft conversion. The pinion is way up there giving me little fluid in the diff and giving me hell with the gayass TJ bracketry. I tried to lose a little angle and the cv starts hitting itself
Old 05-08-2004, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 28566
You already have a six inch lift... You really wanna raise your CG more?

W/ the CV, your rear diff yoke has got to be pointing 1-2 deg below your TC output yoke... You can't mess w/ that relationship... As you found out, you can't just drop the pinion angle a bit w/o changing the position of the TC output yoke..

I think you'll get a lot more benefit in terms of being able to lower your pinion angle from the short shaft kit, than raising the MMs. An inch up on the MMs is probably only going to drop your TC rear output by no more than half an inch. It will affect your front drive line angles more than the rear. (If the front's ok now, you might not want to mess with it.)

You think you'll be keepin' the 231? If so, put the short shaft in it. If you think you might swap out for an Atlas some time in the future, start saving your pennies, and jack the rear up to fill the rear diff. That'll let you get it up to the normal fill level. If that's still not enough to keep the pinion front bearing lubed, you can overfill it some. Toss in about 4oz ATF w/ the overfill, to help keep it from foaming.
LilRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links