RogueRage: Trailing arm Jeep - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 148067
RogueRage: Trailing arm Jeep

hey guys i'm playing with another jeep project and want to do something little different than the norm. I'm starting with a JK platform and i'm wanting to setup a trailing arm suspension in the rear with the shocks mounted to the arms. I figured I'd post up a thread to document it and utilize some colllective brain power on this project. I'll be posting regular pictures with the progress.

I'm using a later model 14 bolt axle and ordered the builder kit for the arms from ruff stuff.

Here they are all welded up

Then i powder coated them my favorite color

Just in case you guys didn't know, orange is the best!

Just got the stock axle pulled out last night and cut the frame brackets off. I ordered some Artec brackets to get things rolling, they should be here tomorrow.

I'm planning to run the trailing arms straight (parallel with the frame) and triangulating the uppers. If If my math is right, using 14 inch travel shocks should yield about 21 inches of travel with these arms. I did a little bit of searching for trailing arm data and couldn't really find all that much in comparison to 4link info. I'll keep this thread going and we'll see what happens together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youngstown, Ohio
Running925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2017, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 626234
Look forward to seeing your progress Tony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck-the-ripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Perfection in Plasma

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
nice work getting the arms together and coated!...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

carslut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 197896
Subscribed! When I came back from my first time at KOH last year I wanted to do trailing arms in my TJ. I already started building the front w/ 2.5"x14 Foxes and was going to do the same in the back, but I had talked to Dan about those new trailing arms and may be tempted to do that when I get around to doing the rear suspension.
giles45shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2017, 06:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 148067
Ok so moving forward. i got some artec brackets in the mail yesterday which allowed me to tack one side on the axle and start figuring out some fitment.

I'm planning to keep everything outboard of of the frame for ease of building and coolness of displaying the shocks & stuff.

What i started going for on the axle side is enough space to clear the brakes, and retaining the ability to deal with any brake fasteners without having to mess with the trailing arm. You might not be able to see much of that from this picture but with the angle that i tacked the bracket on. All the caliper hardware is accessible. I also wanted to take into account that the caliper may move in and out a little on the sliders and wanted to be sure that there would always be enough room for it to move as it was intended.

Ended up with good tire to trailing arm clearance.

The arm is just sitting on jack stands at the moment so that it's close to the frame position. I'm waiting on those brackets to arrive still but expect that it will work out well right next to a body mount that happens to be nearby on the frame.

The only thing that is a little tight right now is the shock to frame clearance. I set a coil-over in there for a test fit briefly and there was about an inch, maybe 1.25 inch of clearance between the spring and the frame. While that seems fine for static riding around or street use. I'm worried that the amount of articulation that this thing could see may be bringing that shock into the frame when it droops. Worse case scenario, I'll notch the frame in that area.

The only thing that was in the back of my mind was, I could technicly get the frame side out a touch further if i moved the calipers to the backside of the axle. I'm just not sure i want to get into that. We'll see how this all plays out as more parts arrive.

The next major complication will be the be nice triangulation on the uppers. Or more so, finding good mounting locations for them on the inside of the frame with all the jeep stuff in the way.

Youngstown, Ohio
Running925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2017, 07:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 27775
I'm doing a similar build on mine except flat arms...42" trailing arms, 45" uppers.
12" C/O 14" bypass should see about 19"+-.

Looking at slight angle to the trailing arms.

Will French into the frame and interior a little.

Stock tank has to go new fuel cell will take its place notched for the upper arms.

I'll keep a eye on your progress!

Last edited by caryt; 04-06-2017 at 07:49 AM.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2017, 07:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 72380

Awesome job on the trailing arms! I may give these a try, looks like a good product. Time saver as well. Ill tig weld them though for that extra bling factor!
Old 04-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 738193
Any update on this?

I have plans for a similar project and am really interested to see how you approach this.

Thanks!!
96Airwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Tony, looking awesome! How long of a stretch are you shooting for?

geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.