Is 3" total travel enough for a CV shaft? how much does the stock slip yoke have? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2002, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 7980
Question Is 3" total travel enough for a CV shaft? how much does the stock slip yoke have?

I know that Woody and Jess make there standard shafts with about 5" travel, the local shop says that they can only make me one with 3" total travel... thats only 1.5" each way..
i don't think it's enough,
how much travel does a stock slip yoke have?
i can't get a shaft from them cause of location and cost. one from them would be $120CAD more and i'd have to drive down to the states to pic it up

thanks

Old 01-16-2002, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2160
are they making it a short slip becuase of the driveline beign so short? 13 " or shorter c/c? thats riding the limit of travel if you ask me-jess
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2002, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7980
Jess, i have no idea why they can only do 3" travel, i asked for 5" and they said that it's too difficult!

could you please tell me if an XJ front shaft will be able to run as a rear? (i think it too only has 3" travel)

cause i was sold on getting the custom, until the shop decided to tell me that they can't make one with 5" travel

i can't see me affording one from you cause of the exchange and i have to get it to Manitoba Canada...

what does a standard shaft from you go for?
spicer greasabls... 5-433-1x
5"-7" travel
and a 32deg CV

here are my 3 options:
XJ front : $200 CAD
local Custom : $365CAD for 3" travel
from you i'm guessing $480CAD

what to do
Old 01-16-2002, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3169
Quote:
Originally posted by onetoncv
are they making it a short slip becuase of the driveline beign so short? 13 " or shorter c/c? thats riding the limit of travel if you ask me-jess
Find another shop...one that's used to making off-road shafts. Mine have 7" splines....front and rear, in a SWB TJ. Tom Wood made them up for me. Long spline w/o boot. I know I don't need that much, but it's nice having it.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2160
the xj shaft may work okay -but if its a 1 3/4 diamter it may be a bit on the weaker side for your application- the shaft i would make is the 5-153x spicer 1/2 ton (the 443 is 1/4 ton) its cool- and its the 6" travel 289.00 complete the best way to ship to canada is us mail and there no or not much exchange rate issues or taxes- it gets shipped to the post office near you and you pick it up there- we do not offer the same type of shaft tom does with his longer 10" spline because i do not beleive welding to cast iron is a good idea- the slip yoke is cast iron- Jess