2.5 tons in a jeep ? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2002, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3373
Send a message via ICQ to yjtj
2.5 tons in a jeep ?

im wonder whos done it and what it took. i know cj lagos is working on it in his cj ayone else done or doing it. what d shaft mods are needed how much lift yah need and so on. i have an 82 cj project in the works and found a source for 2.5 ton axles that is less than 10 miles from my house and sells them for a very affordable price. thanks
Old 01-16-2002, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8828
Why in the hell would you need 2.5 ton axles? Even with 44's you're never in a million years gonna even stress those. Just curious. Sounds like you're going way overboard unless your CJ is gonna be built like a dumptruck to haul around other people's rigs or something.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2002, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3373
i can get the 2 2.5 axles cheaper than 1 front d60 used from a junkyard with 6.72 gears and i can shave them to have the same ground clearance as a d44. besides nothing is unbreakable and i was thinking maybe some used 48 inch tires would be fun to have
Old 01-16-2002, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5809
Quote:
Originally posted by yjtj
i can get the 2 2.5 axles cheaper than 1 front d60 used from a junkyard with 6.72 gears and i can shave them to have the same ground clearance as a d44. besides nothing is unbreakable and i was thinking maybe some used 48 inch tires would be fun to have
Its true. I know of a place i can get Rockwell 2.5 ton front for 450 and rears for 400. but im still happy with my 8.8 and Dana 44 for now.
RoCkSkuLLz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2002, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3263
dude if you really live in hell then you really need rockwells
if not then you just kinda need rockwells
all in all i think you should do it
don't let anyone tell you that your 44 is enough, even if it is you should still buy bigger stuff
why not?
[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10868220#post10868220"][B][SIZE="4"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARMY TRUCK STOLEN! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/URL]
fcfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2002, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3373
this is a new project i actually run d60/14bolt in my yj. this cj is gonna have a big block and a extended wheelbase by at least 1.5 feet. and a d44 would never be enuff been there broke that.
Old 01-16-2002, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 845
I'm currently putting rockwells under my TJ, if you'd call it that. Anyway, the rockwells end up being 69.25" wide with the brakes removed and the hubs flipped in...about the same as full width 60's.

The biggest concern is the front axle and clearance. Since you remove wheel brakes most people put a brake on the pinion..which sticks up past the housing. They are tall, very tall. In my Jeep I've got the axle forward and the motor back...it should clear, but on a stockish rig I really don't know, I've been building everything around this.

CJ
CJ Lagos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2002, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 5809
Quote:
Originally posted by fcfred
dude if you really live in hell then you really need rockwells
if not then you just kinda need rockwells
all in all i think you should do it
don't let anyone tell you that your 44 is enough, even if it is you should still buy bigger stuff
why not?
because whats the point if im not breaking the shit im running. Just so I can say "Im running rockwells man" Besides I wanna go out and beat my Jeep. Im tired of always having it in project mode while my buddies go out wheelin.

Also whats the point of having some bomb proof axles when im still running the np-231? If the axles dont give then whats next? The transfer-case would explode. And id waaaay rather change out some axle shaft then some t-case parts. Know what i mean?
RoCkSkuLLz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2002, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3373
cj did you just buy a bolt on pinion brake kit or did you make your own? any idea how wide they are without reversing the hubs? i am thinking 4 inch springs soa with a 2.5 shackle reversal or somthing similar. i may even run chevy springs. still figuring out what im gonna do all i know so far is it will be an 82 cj to start with i am stretching the wheelbase and slapping a big block in and im pretty sure after getting the price of the 2.5 tons that they will be my axles.
Old 01-16-2002, 05:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 3906
Send a message via AIM to Jeepmangled87
Wagoneer Machine shop in Oklahoma has done this to a few Jeep that I know of. Ive seen them in action works great and is fawking sweet! They run 44 TSL on the axles. I know it will work on a CJ and a YJ for sure cause they have done it, maybe one day I can run theese axles.
Jeepmangled87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2002, 10:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 845
I'm making the pinion disc setup, haven't got it done yet.

CJ
CJ Lagos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2002, 10:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 3373
lemme know how yah make out
Old 01-17-2002, 10:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 4099
Send a message via AIM to JEEP_TJ_FREAK Send a message via Yahoo to JEEP_TJ_FREAK
Quote:
Originally posted by yjtj
i am thinking 4 inch springs soa with a 2.5 shackle reversal or somthing similar. i may even run chevy springs. still figuring out what im gonna do all i know so far is it will be an 82 cj to start with i am stretching the wheelbase and slapping a big block in and im pretty sure after getting the price of the 2.5 tons that they will be my axles.
I am pretty decent friends with the guy at Wagoner mentioned above, his is currently having problems thrashing leaves. If you choose to do this I would go link and coil or coilover, something that will allow for better approach and departure angles.

The pinion brake in that image is simular to his setup but they ad a gaurd to keep you from ramming the rotor into stuff.

$850 sounds like a good deal for a set to me, assuming they are still in good shape.

Totally true about shaving them, if you can do it, do it.
JEEP_TJ_FREAK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2002, 05:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 62
Daniel: whats all involved in setting up the pinion disk? just curious how tough it is to do
Old 01-17-2002, 05:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 3237
Send a message via AIM to G.C. Bandit
Quote:
Why in the hell would you need 2.5 ton axles? Even with 44's you're never in a million years gonna even stress those. Just curious. Sounds like you're going way overboard unless your CJ is gonna be built like a dumptruck to haul around other people's rigs or something
Actually thats not true. At CAL ROCS, i think that it might of been Brutus, or one of the other guys snaped a axel shaft right in half.

[SIZE="5"][B][COLOR="Blue"]ROCKZOMBIES4X4.com[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
R.I.P. Dave "Kyle"
That was one hell of a ride, I will never forget!
G.C. Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2002, 09:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 2681
hey danial that was me that wanted to trade u the 2.5 tons, i would have loved to do it, but i took some mesurements and they just wont clear my oil pan at the moment, so i need to do some custom suspension work b4 they would work, which at this point im not capable of doing and i cant afford to have it done, so i will have to hold off, i called and left a message about that transfercase i still want it but u posted on here that it was sold so do u still have it, ohh ya and i have 4 inch spring over springs and i mesured and didnt have room for 2.5 tons, and jeepmangled is smokin crack they will not work in a yj or a cj stock, both the ones he was revering to were cjs for one and also they were severley modifyed to fit the axles, so with the axle and motor in stock location they will not fit
skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2002, 09:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 8824
axle clearance

You guys are worried about clearing the brakes in the front, why? the steering linkage is behind the axle so just move that bastard about a foot forward, extend the frame in the front, on a cj project I've been thinking about I'm just going to build my whole frame around the rockwell's, I think leaf springs will hold up if you use a tri-link set up of some sort to manage the axle wrap. Daniel sells the 48" for $150! I cann't see why more people don't swap these in. Hey Daniel I saw on your wedsite that you guys are making custom rims for the 20" tires, can you guys make a 20" style Hummer rim? I think the two piece rim with the inner collar is perfect for those 48's.
Jayrockn7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.