cutting hole in bellhousing for CPS on 4.0 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2004, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Got .45?

Member # 9274
cutting hole in bellhousing for CPS on 4.0

ok well i think i am going to swap in a granny 4 speed into my TJ. the only thing i have a question about is the CPS. now i have searched and seen that you can just bore a hole in the bellousing for the cps and make a bracket. but were i have a question is the position of it. not just the depth (what should the depth be?) but the location on the bellhouing. can it be higher up or lower on the bellhousing or does it have to be 100% in the exact same spot? thanks.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 1757
Well, since it's the "Crankshaft Position Sensor" it needs to be in the exact spot relative to TDC. You might want to look at the kit that relocates the CPS to the harmonic balancer. Or drill a hole...

Eat your spaghetti
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2004, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
AKA Topper

Member # 14368
Or call Advance...

Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.
Tuffjarhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17969
Send a message via AIM to OkLaHoMaYJ
Someone over on the Rockskullz.com boards did this.

Swapping out the AX-15 to TF999 they just cut holes in the housings and bolted the CPS to the TF housing.

Thats my plan, cut and bolt. Then if that doesnt work, call AA.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 28273
Look into this for all your answers:

Crank Sensor info

scroll down a little bit and read.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8574
Not too hard at all

I just did this to my 4.0L from a 98 XJ.

I am putting an NP435 behind it, and I bought a CJ bellhousing for the 258 and T-150 off of Ebay for $50.

To put the CPS sensor on the bellhousing, you should have it at the same rotational distance from the top as on the original bellhousing, as the PCM uses the CPS signal to figure out when to inject fuel (among other things).

To get the correct air gap between the flywheel and the sensor, Chrysler makes a very helpful adhesive backed paper spacer. The part number for the paper spacer for the CPS sensor is: 5252229. You simply stick in on the sensor, and then mount the sensor with the paper touching the flywheel, and bam, you have the correct spacing.

Of course, I paid $3.36 for 1 of them (yes, just 1 !!!!) at the stealership. Since I think it is ridiculous to pay more than $0.10 for it, it is 0.045 inches in thinkness for those of you wishing to make your own. Consequently, a dime is also about 0.045" thick, so you can space the sensor correctly for a $0.10 deposit. Just be really sure to get the dime out of there before cranking the engine!!!

To mount the sensor, I make a bracker out of a small piece of 18 gauge stainless steel, cut a hole in the bellhousing, rivetted the bracket to the bellhousing and bolted the sensor up. The engine fires and runs fine.

I really cant justify spending a couple of hundred bucks on the CPS relocation kit that puts in on the harmonic balancer. It took me all of about 3 hours to get the sensor in place and the engine running. Most of that was crawling under the vehicle to pull the bellhousing off and adjust things.

Good luck with it.

- Eliot -
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 17969
Send a message via AIM to OkLaHoMaYJ
Thats really helpful. Nice to know the distance the CPS needs to be from the flywheel.

A dime would be an excellent spacer, im just gonna use the AX-15 housing and use that as a guide to get the right placement, but then again some 91 + YJ's have TF999's in them. Which should use the same CPS.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Got .45?

Member # 9274
thanks man, i played around with that today and got it to work (my 4.0 swap went in without a hitch)

now i just need....everything...lol
Old 06-21-2004, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 20754
I machined a bracket to mount the CPS, I bolted the cps to the bracket and then bolted the bracket to the BH using the two neoghboring BH mounting bolts. Bolted right on and fired up fine, I designed my bracket to mount the CPS within .001" of the factory position, I don't think it needs to be this accurate.

After swapping in the NP-435 we could not get the Jeep to turnover from the Key, We jumped the solinoid and it fired, jumped the relay and it fired, replaced the relay and nothing, tried a new relay and nothing, Finaly we tracked it down to be the ground wire for the starter relay was mounted to the original tranny, We had just left the wiring harness hanging, we jumped the ground to the frame and it fired right up. cost us at least three nights in the garage before a friend who knows about wiring showed up.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Web wheeler

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Grille View Post
After swapping in the NP-435 we could not get the Jeep to turnover from the Key, We jumped the solinoid and it fired, jumped the relay and it fired, replaced the relay and nothing, tried a new relay and nothing, Finaly we tracked it down to be the ground wire for the starter relay was mounted to the original tranny, We had just left the wiring harness hanging, we jumped the ground to the frame and it fired right up. cost us at least three nights in the garage before a friend who knows about wiring showed up.
Bump.

Having a hard time figuring this out myself. Can't get the 4.0 to fire and the "ground" that he's talking about seems to be the backup sensor. I thought this sensor was not crucial to firing the 4.0 but correct me if I'm wrong. Tall Grille, are you referring to another ground? I've been all over and tracked down every ground I could find but to no avail.

Ultimate Wrangler Build Ups and Swaps Thread
Builds, Swaps, Axles, Engines, Turbos, Diesels, Suspensions, Fab, and more!
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote