Not all AX15's are created alike, please read and suggestions? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2004, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Question Not all AX15's are created alike, please read and suggestions?

Ok, doing a clutch external slave conversion on the 91 YJ, six banger with AX-15, and it is not as simple as just swap the bellhousing in, get other stuff and done. To start, and for future search purposes, wanted to post this info here. Johan, thansk again for the tips

Some of you may already know, but not all AX-15's are created alike. The one I am removing from my Jeep has the thinner front shaft (input shaft). It works with the internal slave\throw-out bearing unit. The newer AX-15's (I believe 94 and up with external slave), have a thicker input shaft, which supports a throw bearing (non-hydraulic), and is mounted to the base of the shaft.

Basically the shafts have different diameters (front and back), even though they both work with the same exact clutch plate. Since the shaft front diameters are different, the pilot bearings that will be set on the flywheel, are also different.

91-93 (possibly on Peugeots as well) dual pilot bearing, which has an outside thicker ring, also larger outside diameter than 94/95 (about a milimeter)

94 and up - single bearing, thinner, one piece without outside ring, smaller outside diameter than 91, so it will not stay put in the 91 fly-wheel

In order to convert from the 91 internal slave to 94 and up external slave you will need:

94 and up bellhousing and internal components (bearing and arm)
94 external slave,
95 hose (slave to master)

In my case, I found that the input shaft on the tranny I have will not work (thin), so there are a couple options:

A- Rig the 94 bearing so that it will stay in the flywheel (i.e. make a thin ring that will hold it in place) what material should I use?

B- slightly grind or machine the diameter of the thicker 94 shaft, so that it will fit on the 91 pilot bearing

Observations. In the event you have a thinner input shaft on your tranny, you will need to replace it with a thicker shaft from a newer tranny, since the inside bearing that pushes against the clutch will not work (the internal diameter is too wide for the thinner shaft).

I will post pictures with more details. I appreciate recommendations, and how critical is the pilot bearing at the front of the shaft?

Thanks,

Gui
geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 23673
Send a message via AIM to Surfzup2k3
I took the metal bushing that my stock pilot bearing fits into (my wrangler is a 95) and got it machine so that a pilot bearing for the smaller shaft would press into it then pressed it back in th flywheel. So you shouldn't really worry about that being a problem as it is an easy fix. goodluck
Surfzup2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2004, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Yep, my problem seems to be the other way around I am trying to change the diameter in the 91 pilot bearing to accept the 94 shaft. The 94 shaft is thicker, but the pilot bearing has a smaller outside diameter than the 91.

I think I need to post some pics to clarify

Gui
Old 07-15-2004, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 23673
Hey, I just though of something, I have a bushing (fits a big shaft end ax-15) that will press right into the 4.2 or early 4.0 flywheel. I will send it to you at the cost of shipping. It is a bushing that you have to soak in motor oil for 24hrs. The rebuilt tranny that I originally got, broke, so they sent me back one with a smaller bearing end. What I did to fix this, was explained in my first post. Let me know about the bushing, it is brand new.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 477
Send a message via Yahoo to Keith Strong
Just an FYI for you...my old 95 had an internal slave
Old 07-15-2004, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Darn, wanna put the tranny back together tonight. Was the bushing custom or one you got at a parts store from another rig?

Keith, Daim, no more curve balls, hehe I know some rare 94 and 95 six bangers came with internal slaves.

Another tip for the gang, Chrysler likes to put crappy star bit, torx bit crap all over. On the top of the tranny, holding it to the engine, there are two of these bastards, of course in the hardest place to get to. A week ago, a buddy was removing his TJ's NV3550 and they spent several hours to take one of these little fawkers off, since it stripped. In order to take it out, they tried welding it to the lug, and ended up drilling the sucker off.

On my Jeep, from the engine compartment, I used the round side on a 3/8 wrench, and used a piece of pipe as an extension, and the suckers came right off. I had started with the torx\start tool, and it started stripping, so the second approach worked much better. Replace those suckers with 8 grade screws and burn and bury these suckers
Old 07-15-2004, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 14731
Are you talking about the input shaft of the tranny, or the input bearing retainer. When I did my swap, I bought a torn up 97 AX-15, and used the:

Input bearing retainer that has the long nose for the throwout bearing to sit on
Bellhousing
Pivot ball
Fork

New clutch kit from Luk (has throwout bearing, clutch, pressure plate, alignment tool and pilot bushing to fit the 95 *so you will need pilot bushing for the 91*)
New spring clip from jeep
New master/slave combo from jeep

Mine is a 92. I didnt have any trouble with pilot bushings or the input shaft of the tranny.

Last edited by Road Head; 07-15-2004 at 01:40 PM.
Road Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Hi Road,

I am talking about the pilot bearing, which goes in front of the input shaft. Hmmm interested in checking out info on the long nose input bearing retainer. The input bearing retainer that comes in the 95 clutch kit has a wider diameter than the 95 shaft, so it does not work, too wide for the thinner shaft.

Was the retainer out of a 95?

Gui
Old 07-15-2004, 03:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 23673
You can get them from mantrans. I believe they cost 10 bucks new + shipping, or maybe 10 shipped. shipping for mine would be about 3.85 if i sent it priority mail. sorry I don't have more info, I just asked them and they sent me a couple bearings when I was trying to fix my shit.

www.mantrans.com
Old 07-15-2004, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 14731
Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard
Hi Road,

I am talking about the pilot bearing, which goes in front of the input shaft. Hmmm interested in checking out info on the long nose input bearing retainer. The input bearing retainer that comes in the 95 clutch kit has a wider diameter than the 95 shaft, so it does not work, too wide for the thinner shaft.

Was the retainer out of a 95?

Gui
The input bearing retainer was off the 97 AX-15. There are 9 or 10 bolts and it is very different from the input bearing retainer on the internal slave setup. Just to clarify what I am talking about, this piece bolts onto the very front of the tranny, and the input shaft on the tranny pokes out through it. With the internal slave setup, the retainer did not have a "nose". The internal slave basically clipped directly to the retainer, around the shaft. In the external setup, the "nose" covers about 3-4" of the input shaft, and the throwout bearing slides down on it, followed by the fork.

The clutch install kit I got was from www.dial-a-clutch.com and was for a 95 YJ, the throwout bearing fit on there perfectly. As for the pilot bearing, you get the bearing that goes with the tranny. The input shaft from the 91-93 tranny's is different from the 94-?.

For my setup, I was keeping my 92 AX-15, so i unbolted the input bearing retainer, and bolted on the one from the 97. Since I still had my stock input shaft, I kept the 92 pilot bushing. Had the 97 tranny been in good shape, I would have swapped in the whole tranny, and had to get the corresponding pilot bushing.
Road Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 22267
Send a message via AIM to HEEPJEEP
I swapped a 1987 short block into my 1994. I had the same prob because it used to have a pugeot. I went to autozone and they had a box of jeep/eagle bushings that I scrounged through and found that one for an eagle fit perfect.
HEEPJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 26868
Send a message via AIM to JackaL
I have been running the 5.5 LA springs with skyjacker short-arm coils, not many problems at all. Only problem is the ride quality. It rides like a horse drawn carriage. I just recently bought the 5.5 Long-arm kit, so if you'd like a nice set (4) 5.5" coils, PM me.
JackaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 22267
Send a message via AIM to HEEPJEEP
WTF mate?
Old 04-22-2005, 06:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Dabbler

Member # 29562
Send a message via AIM to actionpaintball
All 1995 wranglers (6 cylinders) came factory with the extrenal slave...FACTORY supplied that is...
actionpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:38 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 20198
By mistake I found out that the pilot bushing from a 1972 CJ with a 304 and a T15 works.

I was swapping in my 304 and got to the point that I needed to take out the old pilot bushing. Just for fun I stuck the clutch alignment tool in the hole and it fit nice and snug. My input shaft is from a '97 TJ AX15.

You can get the conversion bushing from Advance Adapters as well.

Last edited by OldGreen; 04-22-2005 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Fixed Typo
OldGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:38 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackaL
I have been running the 5.5 LA springs with skyjacker short-arm coils, not many problems at all. Only problem is the ride quality. It rides like a horse drawn carriage. I just recently bought the 5.5 Long-arm kit, so if you'd like a nice set (4) 5.5" coils, PM me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionpaintball
All 1995 wranglers (6 cylinders) came factory with the extrenal slave...FACTORY supplied that is...
And ?????
Old 04-22-2005, 08:46 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Ok, to add to the thread, here are pics of the input bearings that would go on the flywheel, showing the difference:

The bottom left is a 95, the bottom right is a 91, and the top gold is a Grand Wagonner, which has the outside diameter of the 91, and inside diameter of the 95, so that is the part you will need in the event of a swap, if the tranny shaft diameters differ from one another.

Old 12-17-2005, 04:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 63700
Hi...I've been lurking soaking up some tech info on swapping my '92 XJ 6-Cyl AX-15 from internal to external. I'm getting ready to button it all up, but don't know if everything is there and in the right place.
Here's a pic of the setup. (new bellhousing, clutch fork, with spring retainer, and throwout bearing. The T.O. Bearing has a spring clip on each side, that I assume holds the fork in place. Is this how it's supposed to mount? or do the slots go on the same side as the pivot ball???

Also, is there anything that holds the end of the slave cylinder shaft into the clutch fork? Next is the bearing and fork, does this look right?

I'm also having trouble getting the pilot bearing out to replace it. It seems like there's a large flat washer holding it in, and the FSM says to use an internal puller or sumthing. How do I get it out?

Also...shouldn't there be a return spring or something?
Thanks for yer help

merry christmas

Last edited by kooters57; 12-17-2005 at 04:44 PM.
kooters57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 41941
Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard
Ok, to add to the thread, here are pics of the input bearings that would go on the flywheel, showing the difference:

The bottom left is a 95, the bottom right is a 91, and the top gold is a Grand Wagonner, which has the outside diameter of the 91, and inside diameter of the 95, so that is the part you will need in the event of a swap, if the tranny shaft diameters differ from one another.

So the one from the GW fits? I have the same problem. I am replacing my 91 AX-15 with one from a later model, I think 95. Is the one from the GW a bushing or a bearing and do you have a part #? I didn't know the GW came with a manual trans?
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 5861
ops missed the thread from December. Everything seems to be in the right position, I hope you were able to figure out and remove the bearing ok, I used a puller and was kinda of a pain, but got it out.

Doodah, I am not sure what the part number for the bushing was. It is the one in gold on the top\center of the picture. It has the perfect inside and outside diameter, so it fit in perfect.

Gui
Old 02-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 41941
Do you remember a model year and engine size? Most seem to have come with the 5.9 and the part #s I have checked online all seem to be the same. But I want to make sure I get the right one. I really appreciate your help.

Last edited by doodah; 02-16-2006 at 06:43 PM.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Doodha, Sorry man, I actually had a hard time myself, and had to go though several bushings at a parts place until I found teh correct one. I thought I had the part number scribled up someplace, but can not seem to find it

Gui
Old 02-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 5861
I just remembered that Advanced Adapters or Novak, I believe may also sell the part...

Gui