Project DJ update - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2002, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 7051
Send a message via AIM to Josh 89XJ
Project DJ update

Well like I said, the motor was about to go anyway. It barely lasted the way home. About a mile from the shop that bad boy started knocking like you wouldn't believe. We kicked around the idea of a rebuild, but that was nixed after what we procured tonight

We snagged the COMPLETE drivetrain from a CJ5 with the 258. Not sure which case yet, but it has a three speed which we may opt to get rid of. Not sure which case since I haven't actually picked it up yet. Rear D44, front D30. Complete drivetrain was an even grand.

Anybody know if the TF727 that was mated to a 232 I6 will bolt up to the 258? We would prefer to keep this tranny since it is in great shape, but we may need to settle for the tranny it comes with.

This saturday we are pulling the motor and taking measurements for the new drivetrain and suspension. I'll post plenty of pics the next day.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3976
Send a message via ICQ to CJ5-Man Send a message via AIM to CJ5-Man
232 and 258 are pretty much the same engine. the 727 will bolt up, if thats what tranny you have. I'd put the whole drivetrain in there for now and maybe upgrade to a 4 speed later. Its probably a dana 20 transfercase
Old 01-31-2002, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7051
Send a message via AIM to Josh 89XJ
Thanks for the info. I figured that it would work, but I wasn't able to find any info on the 232 in relation to the 258.

If it were my Jeep, I would probably want a 4 speed too. However, since I am only serving as fab guy, tech reference, etc. and not the actual owner, it isn't my call. He wants to keep the auto, and it is in excellent shape so whatever. Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 2790
The engines are the same just a different stroke
hy_desert_4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote