Flipped D300 popping out of RWD low - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2004, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 24805
Flipped D300 popping out of RWD low

D300
DEO flip kit
Tera low
Tera HD output
Complete rebuild, all new bearings etc. End play shimmed to spec with dial indicator.

While in 4wd low or RWD low, the RWD low shifter walks back into neutral under deceleration. I have adjusted the shift rails and have verified that the RWD low detent ball is seating fully (suggestion from DEO). That didnt help so I pulled the case again and added spring spacers to increase the tension on the detent springs (suggestion from Tera). That didnt help so I made an adjustable set screw so I could "dial in" the spring tension.

Pic:

I can add enough spring tension to hold it in RWD low, but then cant shift it.

The gears are all straight cut so there should be no force pushing the shift collar out of engagement (and yes, I am getting full shift collar engagement).

I am totaly stumped.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 10-08-2004, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 20198
Can't see your picture, but I would guess that your detent ball is bottoming out on your homemade spring tensioner so you need a stiffer spring rather than using more pre-load on the stock spring.

I think that JB Conversions has one that they supply with their low gear sets that is stiffer than the stock spring but has as much travel.

Just a guess, but a lot of people have this problem and a stiffer spring usually solves it.
OldGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2004, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 29823
MattPascoe,

I was having exactly the same problems you are describing on my DEO flip. I did a slightly different variation on what you have done, and it solved my problems. I used the stock cover, drilled two holes where the detent springs are located. Then I welded two nuts together and welded those over the holes that I drilled. Then I inserted the stock dana 300 springs into the now much deeper hole and adjusted the tension with a bolt and another nut to lock the bolt. The stock dana 300 springs are much longer than the ones DEO supplies, and also much stiffer. The spring for the rear shifter is really stiff! It all looks a little hack, but it solved my problem so I'm happy.
Fritz R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 24805
Thanks alot guys! I was starting to feel like I might be SOL. Tera and DEO have been little to no help.

I really thought the spring tensioner would fix the prob, but OldGreen is right, I'm collapsing the spring and jamming the rail. Fritz, I still have the original D300 springs so I'll give that a try. Sounds like your saying the front and rear springs have different rates so I'll have to check that out.

Oh, and sorry about the pic, my server keeps going up and down

Thanks,

Matt