commies at Jeep advertising dept............ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2002, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
ZUK

Member # 3301
commies at Jeep advertising dept............

hey guys....just saw this at www.extreme4x4.com and thought you all would appreciate the message about the Jeep advertising dept. Sorry it's long...........feel free to call or fax at end of article.
.EXTREME VIEW

By Phil Howell

Jeep engineers work hard to bring vehicles that really work in the backcountry to the public. You see, Jeep engineers actually four-wheel, some of them, in fact, have four-wheeled for many years, so they know whatís needed for the trail. The new 2003 Jeep TJ Rubicon is the latest and greatest from the halls of Jeep engineering. With a beefy super low transfer case, Dana 44ís and lockers front and rear, the Rubicon is probably the best stock 4x4 ever introduced for backcountry use. Once again, Jeep engineers know their stuff. Itís too bad the marketing people work so hard to unsell everything engineering designs.

Over the years, it has seemed that Jeep marketing has made every effort to alienate the people who buy their vehicles to really USE them for what they were designed to do Ė get into the backcountry to work or play. A few years ago, at a training meeting Jeep Jamboree U.S.A. was holding, one of the trainers held up a copy of 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility magazine (I was the Editor, then), turned to a page that showed hard core rock crawling and said, ďThis is the kind of thing we DONíT want to see!Ē The ad people at Jeep would routinely tell our advertising sales people at 4WD&SU that the market the magazine was aimed at wasnít the market they wanted to address. The market 4WD&SU magazine is aimed at is family, club and hard-core four-wheeling. What market DOES Jeep want to address, little yuppie rich kids driving their TJís to the mall? It seems as if Daimler Chrysler Human Resources has a requirement that to be hired into Jeepís marketing department, you must know NOTHING about Jeeps or jeeping, be totally uninterested in learning about why Jeep has the legacy it does and have a real desire to destroy any owner loyalty current or former owners might have to the marque.

Iím sure that by now many of you have seen the ad from Jeep thatís insulting to yet another group of potential and current Jeep owners Ė hunters. Instead of me telling you about it, Iíll let this excellent article from The Federal Observer do the job . . .

www.federalobserver.com

Jeep Takes Cheap Shot At Sportsmen Through Anti-hunting Ad

In Jeep's "Deer Hunter" commercial, a man drives a Jeep through a wooded area with two deer tied on the top of the vehicle. As the Jeep drives by, camouflaged hunters are shown in the woods, in close proximity to each other and the road, admiring the man's deer. The driver of the Jeep then crosses the road to a location posted with a "No HuntingĒ sign. The Jeep stops, the man gets out and releases the deer, which had appeared to be dead. The driver tells the deer that they are safe and the deer then bound away. In the background, other Jeep owners are shown doing the same thing.

"Although this message is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, it won't be taken that way by the 40 million sportsmen across America", said Wildlife Legislative Fund of America President Bud Pidgeon. "This ad gives the distinct impression that people who 'save' wildlife from hunters Ė and drive Jeeps- are the good guys. In reality the good guys are American Sportsmen. They're our nation's No.1 conservationists and they're the reason that America's wildlife is flourishing."

Jeep's spokeswoman, Diane Jackson, was unwilling to acknowledge the insulting message portrayed in its commercial. She says that the ad is creative and that it will continue to run nationally.

Apparently, Jeep isn't listening to its customers. A Jeep employee reports that calls protesting the commercial are swamping its switchboard.

"Sportsmen need to send Daimler Chrysler and Jeep a strong message that its anti-hunting sentiments aren't appreciated", Pidgeon said. "As an owner of a vehicle manufactured by this company, I intend to communicate my resentment about the direction that this company has taken. I'll encourage my friends and colleagues to do the same".

Contact Daimler Chrysler at: (248) 512-2992 or faxing (248) 512-1760. CEO Dieter Zetswche can be contacted at Box 218004 Auburn Hills, Michigan 48321.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 9303
Send a message via AIM to scottv Send a message via Yahoo to scottv
Hmmm
To bad you dont have that Bozo's E-Mail addy..........Could be fun getting a few thousand Jeepers to send him e-mail
scottv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2002, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 9307
I for one dont care if you go shoot a deer, The ad sounds funny to me and was taking tongue and cheek.GO HUNT,WHO GIVES A RATS ASS.
Targeting only people who really" USE "there Jeeps would probably put them out of business(they have to sell a lot).I prefer they stay in business and let the engineers design a awesome product like the Rubicon model...which got 0 respect in here...what a joke .It sounds like Mr.Howell could not sell them advertising space and cant handle rejection.
Remember when chrysler bought amc ?Oh no the end is near!Not quite ,I think they have done pretty good with it.I have seen many articles on chrysler sponsered events teaching new owners the history behind the name as well as encouraging them to run trails.No not Extreme Rockcrawling,but thats not what they sell.
As far as the phones ringing of the hook with protest,dont believe it.They (chrysler) will kiss ass just like anybody else trying to sell something...In other words enough phone calls = no more add.So we will see.
1 vote for keep running the add.I am sick of everybody crying and whining.....He looked at me waaaa! he's pointing at me waaaaaaaa! toughen up damit or buy a car.
Quick somebody call a Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance !
Old 02-06-2002, 06:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
ZUK

Member # 3301
thanks for the input guys....I haven't even seen the commercial but based on Phil Howell's description of it, I can visualize it and it seems pretty "lame". At least, the Joe Isuzu one with the rock dangling in front of the XJ is tongue and cheek outright funny. I really would like to see the personnel in the Jeep ad dept. They should hire me.......my commercial goes like this................getting close to the lunchtime--let's have it up there---top of the hill where the view is best----"but I have a Tracker and my buddy has an Izuzu...we can't get up there, it's impassable.-----next seen shows Jeeps rockcrawlin' up the steep wash to the top of the hill---then shows Jeep guys eating lunch with great view and waving to the sport utes at the bottom. Big smile on faces. Only in a Jeep.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and a yota!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.