Remember when? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2004, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10808
Remember when?

When we had a topic of the week.....EACH WEEK!!

You have to think back...way back...long before Dumb Fuck Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Our forum is sucking ass. If you want TOTW back post up. and post up some ideas too since our monkey moderator ( Mo ) hasn't thought one up in a year.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 477
Send a message via Yahoo to Keith Strong
What are you talking about.....we have all kinds of TOTW ideas going on right now!

What size Winch bolts?

Can you put a fullwidth axle in a jeep?

How many blowjobs can 1rustyrig give in an hour?

Where did Indy go to "I am my wife's bitch" school?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2004, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 10808
You are part of the problem biznatch!!!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 940
A simple one lots of people want some ideas on are Jeep tube fenders be it CJ, YJ, or TJ.
Another is a fuel cell instal. What size and how much room did it use up.
www.KICKASSOFFROAD.COM
916-434-6978
Custom Sway Bars and Axles built to order.

Got 40 spline? I have the hubs, spindles, and axles you need to kickass!
Custom Hummer wheels and centers
Axle Resplining
66CJdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8171
like, what size tire with no lift and good shit like that
CINCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 13959
Send a message via AIM to 87JeepWrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66CJdean
A simple one lots of people want some ideas on are Jeep tube fenders be it CJ, YJ, or TJ.
Another is a fuel cell instal. What size and how much room did it use up.
awesome idea. included should be where you are putting your custom built fuel tanks. new ideas besides up into the back seat area, behind the back seat, near the back seat, around the back seat, etc.

[URL="http://www.tr-motorsports.com"]TR Motorsports #108[/URL]
87JeepWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 477
Send a message via Yahoo to Keith Strong
I am pretty sure we did a hydro/hydro assist one already didnt we? I like the tube fender idea.

What about something basic like a dual battery setup?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 10808
I would like to do one myth buster style. Have some of the more popular lines of bullshit debunked.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 26995
I hardly ever post on here, put have followed it as a tech reference for years..Fact is, it really has started to suck ass. I can get better info from JU or Google most of the time. Yea, bitch if you want but it's a fact. People have gotten quick to tell someone to "fawkin search, newbie!" and slow to post any real tech. A few of you guys have been around for years and really know your shiat (a hell'uva lot more than me), but seems to me that most of the cheesedicks on this board are fresh-outta high school mall crawlers who know just enough to bolt on some full-widths and regurgitate the same old bullshit answers to any legitimate tech questions. Flame if you want fawkers, but it's a fact.....if I keep this up I'll have 100 posts by 2006: kick ass.
Monkeybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 26995
I would like to see something on creative ways to run long-travel shocks in the rear, though...but I won't ask becasue that would be admitting that I don't know, even after searching for two hourse and seeing the same shiat over and over.
Monkeybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 35552
Send a message via AIM to CJ7EasternShore
I am a qualified ' newbie poster' , I have been too busy reading all the great info archived here . One thing I haven't found much on is built rear 'stinger' style tire carriers , I have only seen the ones Poision Spyder is working on?
Anybody else built one? lets here some opinions on them?
I am starting on mine over the holidays cause I am sick of getting my tire carrier bent .
I will write up when i am done.
Cheers
Old 12-15-2004, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
nights end here

Member # 35217
just ideas...

run a series on different suspension designs and the theories behind them, real world testing etc.

apparently wheelbase extension "How to ???s" are popular right now so...

maybe set up an axle swap sticky for all of those "newbie" questions. (cuz none of us would ever have an axle swap question, right?) best axles, easiest, hardest, how to.

Go ahead flame on but this is good tech for veterans to discuss and newbies to easily access.
James Firearm and Palmetto State Defense
01/03 and 07/SOT
FlexCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 16963
IIRC, the TOTW index is one topic short: brakes. I believe it was accidentally deleted. Anybody remember it?
BruthDoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 8274
I'd like to see a "Get rid of the carb." TOTW.. but the cheap methods that don't entail buying $2000 worth of fuel injection. Also some info on propane. It's all pretty fragmented.. I've been told all sorts of stuff from different people. Those selling it are all, "Best ever, nothing bad, never worry, cheap, now pay up for installation pls."

But I've also been told it de-tunes itself naturally, and it uses 2x as much fuel as gasoline per mile, so its only marginally more economical. How hard is it to get if filled? Has anyone thought up a way to get the forklift tanks in a setup that doesn't completely ditch the cargo area in a jeep.

I also like flex's suspension idea. A comparison between the big 4link methods would be nice. (1/4e, coilover, fox-shocks, airoverhydro??) All stuff that's been spinning around in my head.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 38701
Send a message via AIM to bigassedredjeep Send a message via Yahoo to bigassedredjeep
+1 on the ideas so far,

i too am a lurker and hardly ever post just spend so much time reading, i don't bother posting. i am mostly interested in the propane setups (what works/what doesn't, i can get almost anything from an oil company i used to work for) and another is suspension set-ups that work and are unique.

thanks
brandon
bigassedredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 4787
Send a message via AIM to Geesh
Evolution cha cha cha

"A few years ago this board was full-on tech, no bullshit . . . "
"Whatever happened to the Massey lift . . . "

A couple of things:
  • People show up, spend time, get educated and bail. Lots of the old timers who came up with most of the shite we banter about now don't need this resource anymore, so they don't spend time here. And who can blame them. For them, the PBB information superhighway has evolved into a six lane freeway full of garbage trucks
  • Perspectives change with education. The more you learn, the less patience you have for seeing it over again and again. And the more you learn, the greater the amount of things show up that you've seen before
  • Now that it's been done already, how much new shit will wow us?. As all of the contributors to this board (that would be us and most of the way-old members) help author the content of this growing library, things change. This becomes less of a real-time 'learn-and-share' and more of a 'where-do-I-find-it' resource base. That's fine, we just need to adapt to the changing face of the Pirate Board.

Regarding TOTW, I am working with re-doing the rear fenders on my rig and need a way to roll a lip on the fenderwell or weld on a length of strip that is not asthetic, but structural. Maybe something like Bodywork for Carnage Survival would be in order . . . .
Old 12-15-2004, 03:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 29527
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruthDoobie
IIRC, the TOTW index is one topic short: brakes. I believe it was accidentally deleted. Anybody remember it?
Brakes would be a great topic. The two most misunderstood things in the world are women and brakes, and possibly not even in that order
CrustyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 24475
Send a message via ICQ to JeffsJeep04 Send a message via AIM to JeffsJeep04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesh
"A few years ago this board was full-on tech, no bullshit . . . "
"Whatever happened to the Massey lift . . . "

A couple of things:
  • People show up, spend time, get educated and bail. Lots of the old timers who came up with most of the shite we banter about now don't need this resource anymore, so they don't spend time here. And who can blame them. For them, the PBB information superhighway has evolved into a six lane freeway full of garbage trucks
  • Perspectives change with education. The more you learn, the less patience you have for seeing it over again and again. And the more you learn, the greater the amount of things show up that you've seen before
  • Now that it's been done already, how much new shit will wow us?. As all of the contributors to this board (that would be us and most of the way-old members) help author the content of this growing library, things change. This becomes less of a real-time 'learn-and-share' and more of a 'where-do-I-find-it' resource base. That's fine, we just need to adapt to the changing face of the Pirate Board.

Regarding TOTW, I am working with re-doing the rear fenders on my rig and need a way to roll a lip on the fenderwell or weld on a length of strip that is not asthetic, but structural. Maybe something like Bodywork for Carnage Survival would be in order . . . .
And along those lines...fighting rust. A general body tech TOTW would be sweet...replacing floors, boatsiding, dovetailing, techniques for welding body panels, etc.

edit: Oh, and if you really miss the old days, here ya go, sorted from earliest on record to today. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/archive/index.php/

Last edited by JeffsJeep04; 12-15-2004 at 03:33 PM.
JeffsJeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 14059
Basic and advanced body work would be pretty sweet. Could be a very broad topic entailing tube fenders, comp. cutting, Boat siding, etc. Would also be nice to hear out some of the tricks to make things easier with body work. Cutting corners to make things easier. Everyone has their own tricks, be cool to hear what works and what doesn't.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 1636
One thing I dont like is how this place has turned into Two Guy's Garage

What is this noise?

Why does my 2.5 4 banger stall at 2200 rpm while making a left turn with my high beams on?

How come the transmision on my XJ with 31s make a noise when it shifts?

Get a FSM and figure it out, or take it to a mechanic we're not here to fix your wife's daily driver

If you guys want a fuel cell install write-up, I can do that tomorow night. I just got done plumbing my fuel system a few hours ago
Old 12-15-2004, 04:02 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 5960
Send a message via Yahoo to LAME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesh
You can use 1/4" round stock welded to the inner lip, then flap it smooth.
Rock Rash Racing #613, Trail Tampon Spotter
LAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 7624
Send a message via AIM to offroadman83
I definitely want to see more on dovetailing and cutting fenders comp cut style on cjs, and wranglers. The fuel injection thread would interest me some too. Would also like to see some more on clocking transfer cases. -----------Kyle
offroadman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:25 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 39799
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexCJ5
just ideas...

run a series on different suspension designs and the theories behind them, real world testing etc.
Excellent idea.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:08 AM   #24 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6340
Tire tech - how to get more from the tires you already have (siping/grooving)

How to significantly lower your COG.

Up travel do we realy need any... ( I have about an inch)

Stall converters how they work and how can you pick one to work for you.

Clutch tech do fancy smancy clutchs offer more hold than cheap remans?

Lighten your load.....how can we trim weight (suck it in now boys) carbon fiber / aluminum/ where and how much.

cage tech.... what are the basics (minus the 700 angles)

Body mounts -- is less more

Tow points, extraction points the good the bad and the "Texas Blake"

Narrow your body "Fire Ant style" is it worth it.

Is your rig purty. or do you wheel it.

In what appears to have been an understatement, the plant operator described the situation at the Number 4 reactor as "not so good."

Super conversion calculator website

Love and kisses, Zaphod..
ItsaCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:27 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 4787
Send a message via AIM to Geesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAME
You can use 1/4" round stock welded to the inner lip, then flap it smooth.
Lame -

Thanks for the tech, but I was pitching for a TOTW subject.

But since you mentioned it, what I did was buy several 36" lengths of 1/2 wide, 0,125" strap @ $1.68 from HoDepo. I tacked one strip to use as a guide for the plasma cutter making the curved fender well cut, then a second around the edge and fillet welded. Then I ground off a radius. Wicked simple. It isn't body work perfect, but it'll spray fine, looks good and is stout enough structurally. I took pics of the process so's I could share for those interested.