Frame work and coating - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 20214
Frame work and coating

Did the obligatory search...found only one thread that even closely hit on this.
I have my 80 CJ7 down to rolling chassis and I am about to blast it with my new power washer (2000psi). Once I do that, I am kinda torn between what to do next...well...after I fix the fawkin rust hole over the rear D/S spring hanger. The DSPO decided to cut it with a torch to install a fawkin tow hook right there...then the SOB forgot to fix the torch scars and properly paint over it.
Need opinions here...POR-15 or Hammerite? I am kinda leaning to Hammerite because I can get it locally at a decent price. Can I just coat Hammerite over the old chassis paint or do I need to get the frame down to bare metal first? Is Hammerite the best stuff to use for this or should I bite the bullet and get the POR-15? I live on the immediate coast of South Texas and we all know that saltwater+metal+laziness=rust.
TIA!!!
jeepguy553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 9988
I would use a real chassis paint. So the hammerite is out...POR-15 is good but to get really good results with it you need to get all their prep stuff. Chassis Saver is something that rust belt states' DOT uses on their trucks. I have seen good and bad results...you must follow the manufacturer specs to the letter to get good adhesion. Lastly, the rust encapsolator and paint from Eastwood Co are good as well. Don't know much about it but I haven't run into a bad product from eastwood yet.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 13028
Quote:
Originally Posted by connorsc
By the way I filled 55 holes in each framerail of my Scrambler, all factory leaving only a few in the bottom for draining condensation. Bleed on.
Most of those holes are for Datum points and frame straightening. I hope you never need to put it on a rack.
[URL=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377480][B][COLOR="Red"]Malvado Grande #1[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 20214
Good stuff gents. So the Hammerite is not the best choice after all. Where would I get that Chassis Saver stuff? I had already planned to coat the inside of the frame. I started blasting the frame down today with my pawn-shop special power washer. Then the fawking thing crapped out. It ate a damned bearing. Not to worry, though. I'll have it fixed by Monday and I'll get this thing finished. I just gotta figure out how to get the rust out of the inside of the frame rails.
Thanks for the ideas guys! Beers to all!
Old 02-05-2005, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9988
Try these guys:

Big 3 Auto Supply
2420 W. Avenue M
Temple, TX 76504
254-778-5223
Gordon Winkler

Affordable Auto Color
9800 Gray Blvd
Austin, TX 78758
512-339-8447
Chad Francis
Old 02-06-2005, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 20214
Thanks Goat! I could just make a pit stop in Austin the next time I go up there...and it may be in a couple of weeks.