HO 4.0 Swap into 87 YJ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2005, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 42705
HO 4.0 Swap into 87 YJ

I bought an 87 Yj a couple nights with the factory drivetrain. I've got a complete drivetrain out of a 91 XJ, including the wire harness. What does it take to make that motor work in my carbed Yj? Is there a tech writeup or anything that you know about where I can read about this. I don't have the donor XJ anymore, as I needed to get rid of it. When I pulled the drivetrain, I didn't have plans of using it myself. Wish I'd still have it laying around here, because then I could probably get it to work pretty easily.
monstertruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2005, 10:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 15668
Take a look at CJoffroad there is a ton of information. Then it's just a matter of your threshhold of pain.
grljeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2005, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5632
I just recently completed this swap into a buddie's YJ with an XJ 4.0. First off, you have to used the motor mount brackets, the part that bolts to the motor, off of the YJ. The xj brackets will work and let you install the motor, but it offsets it too far to the drivers side. The wiring wasn't TOO hard once we sat down and figured out the wiring diagrams. We took the engine compartment side of the YJ wiring harness and cut off the connector with about a foot of wires remaining. Be sure only to cut the ENGINE side of the connector, not the body/lighting side. We sat down with both wiring diagrams and started matching up wires. For instance, found the orange wire for the blower motor coming out of the YJ bulkhead connector and connected it to the appropriate wire in the XJ harness. Then found ignition feed, etc. It really ended up being MUCh easier than we thought. For the fuel pump, the his '89 YJ was already wired up for power, they must do that because the 4cyl's are fuel injected, even though his was a 258", they pre-wire it. So we simply mounted the xj fuel pump into the YJ sender assembly, it worked perfectly. The wiring is the hardest part, but if you sit down with both wiring diagrams it really isn't too bad. We mounted the computer in the same place as the original YJ and the grommet for the wiring harness is even the same size. I hope this answers some of your questions. He was VERY happy with the end result of the swap. Feel free to email at Avanteone@aol.com if you've got more.

John
Avanteone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2005, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 42705
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I think I'm gonna give this a shot. I've got the 91 4.0, auto tranny, and tcase all out of the xj. I threw away both of my xj's already, which I'm now regretting. I think I can go back to the boneyard and get some parts off of one of my xj's though, because I saw it sitting there a couple days ago still. I may end up emailing you though, if I run into any problems. It all sounds pretty straight forward. I just need to find the time to sit down in the shop and figure it all out. If it's not alcohol injected or blown, I really don't know what I'm looking at :-)
monstertruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.