AMC 360 Distributor Gear wore out - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2005, 05:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 28603
AMC 360 Distributor Gear wore out

I have an AMC 360 that has been rebuilt (started for the first time this weekend) and have already wore down the distributor gear (sharp). The reason for the rebuild was that the engine was using oil and that I "apple cored" the gear on the camshaft for the distributor. When I rebuilt I put all new parts in: (I am not sure what matters so I will list everything)

block bored (.30 over) & vated
piston & rings
oil pump
distributor
altenator
power steering pump
water pump
RV cam
Crank shaft
lifters
heads redone (valve job)
radiator

I also did the oil modification for the rear bearings. I have the chevy 350 TBI set up and an edelbrock intake. So as you can see I have some money tied up in this engine. I have ran it for about 4 hours and the distributor gear is gone, the gear on the camshaft looks good still. I have been told I may need to go to a brass/bronze distributor gear.

1) What could be causing this?
2) What holds the cam in place on a 360?

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am really frustrated with this problem.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 06-01-2005, 07:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 27047
Did you change the distributor gear when you changed cams?

If you changed the cam and cam gear then you should change the distributor gear. It is like installing a new pinion without a new ring gear. Gears develop a wear pattern and adding a new one in after they have been broken in together is not a good idea.

A guy that I know just went though this when he rebuilt his motor and changed cams.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2005, 07:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 28603
The distributor came with a new gear and the cam gear was new.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3781
AMC engines are famous for this. Do some searching on bulltear.com for additional information. I had the same problem with my 304 but it didn't happen as quickly as yours. After I replaced the timing cover/oil pump this eliminated my problems. My guess is that my problem was two things 1) my timing covers oil pump was worn and was not producing the needed pressure to properly lube the cam gear and 2) I think the timing cover was a little worn so it allowed the cam to shift outward causing the gears not to align perfectly.

Is your timing cover an old one? With AMC motors it is worth spending some coin on a nice timing cover/oil pump assembly especially since they are famous for thier oiling problems.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 28603
Did you get the stock timing cover for it or is there an aftermarket one out there that is better? I also posted the same question on bulltear.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3781
Bulltear sells two different models. A stock replacement that is inspected and a high performance one. I think they run 210 and 330. I think either would be a good starting point for your issue.

Before you install it, take some measurements of the clearance between your cam gear bolt and the timing cover face. I am sure there are some specs regarding what this clearance should be. If your using a wierd bolt or washer on the end of the cam you may have too much clearence allowing your cam to walk out too far thus messing up the gears.

Last edited by pmaddy; 06-01-2005 at 02:15 PM.
pmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 498
Send a message via ICQ to WheelingPiazza Send a message via AIM to WheelingPiazza
Also, Make sure your distributor is seated all the way. Check the alignment of the dis and the gear. I used marking compound on mine when I started having this problem.

What I found was my dristrubitor was not seating all the way due to the mounting base being tweaked slightly and it was causing the gears not to mess right.

This will also tell you if you have the cam gear installed right. If I have to pull my cover off again I am going with a new bulltear hipro cover.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3781
lots of good info on distrib/cam gear issues.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ht=Distributor