Random power loss w/ my 93 4.0L - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2005, 09:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11253
Send a message via MSN to SPEED
Random power loss w/ my 93 4.0L

I'll make this short and simple, but try to include some details.

First the problem...

At first it seemed like this problem would only happen after a long drive on the highway, but over time it started showing up driving in the city (and most recently on the trail) or just any time I tried to step on the skinny pedal... so the problem is - my engine will completely just fall on it's face and bog down to almost nothing. If I try to give it any gas it will just like cut-out and I have to let off a bit and then try giving it some more gas. In most cases I've had to end up towing it home because it's just too miserable to drive.

As far as mechanics go... the Jeep is basically all factory. I have installed aftermarket parts from the cat-back and that is basically it (the problem was present before this). We replaced the Fuel Filter and the TPS recently and before we could see if the TPS did anything... I destroyed basically everything in the carrier of my wee little D35C down in Moab (this past weekend actually) so now I'm in the market for a new rear axle (silly D35C... I should've known the day would come)

Everyone I've talked to about such a problem has said it could be a plethora of things with my Jeep so I'm just wondering if you Jeep experts have any idea of what I should check specifically... I checked for a rattle in my cat and although it's not bad as far as I'm aware, I will still probably replace that aswell as the header (has a crack in it) soon. We have not replaced the fuel pump inside the tank because it passed the pressure test but since the problem happens at random basically... that could still be it. We were told that it could be some other regulators and vacuum hoses of sorts but we haven't checked those yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... and if you guys have any comments on which axle I should throw in the back to replace my D35C, I'm open for those as well - but keep in mind, my Jeep serves as a daily driver to school and stuff and I imagine a D60 type axle may be a bit extreme for my situation, plus they're a bit heavy for my Jeep I would assume.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2005, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 33905
I had that same problem and it was the cat. The catalyst broke loose and would block the exit of the cat when I hit the gas but it would rattle at idle. It got worse as time went on. Luckily the cats come with an 80,000mile warranty and I got a new one for free, but the dealer wouldn't install it because my Jeep was lifted.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5502
Send a message via AIM to erikrs301
- Possibly clogged cat, take it off and look inside
- Fuel pump, check your pressure
- Sensors, have RicerZone test you CPS & TPS
- Engine codes? bad O2 sensor?

IBthreadmoved
Old 06-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 11253
I'll have to check the cat then... I don't notice any rattle but it I did notice out on the trail when I was experiencing the problem that literally no exhaust was coming out and my Jeep would still run, but to start moving again I would have to restart.

I believe the O2 sensor was replaced not too long ago, but we still need to check the CPS as well as the fuel pump.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 954
CPS can be working/failing intermittently. It might test OK, then fail briefly, then be OK... Happened on a '93 XJ I had some years ago.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 11253
Ahh... that sounds like what my problem is definately! Who knows if that's what's doing it tho... are CPS easy to get a hold of and about how much should I expect to pay for one?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 5502
Send a message via AIM to erikrs301
CPS might be $50 - $90
Old 06-02-2005, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11253
Thanks! Would the dealer have these parts on hand or would I have to order them in (in which case it's better to find one for a lot cheaper else where)
Old 06-02-2005, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 48233
Yeah what everyone else said, but also something not mentioned could be buildup of crap in the fuel rail. My friends 95 had a bunch crap in his fuel rail and his jeep would crap out on him frequently.
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 11253
Ahh... is that hard to check? I'm not very knowledgable about the engine side of my Jeep so all these things are new to me. I know where it is but I'm just wondering if it's hard to check... take apart/put back together etc...
Old 06-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 45193
I just went through the same thing with my jeep. Mine turned out to be the O2 sensor. I didn't realize it could make it run so bad. Mine would started cutting out on me about once a week. Then, over the course of a month, it started happening about 3-4 times a day. You can check to see if you're O2 is fried by pulling it out of the exhaust pipe, and if it doesn't have a "cap" looking thing on the top where is goes into the exhaust pipe, it's toast. See if your throwing any engine codes also. My check engine light would come on and go off periodically during this.

BTW: No autostore that I know of will check engine codes for a 93 (assuming it's the one in your sig.) They wouldn't even check my 95, I think the first year they can check is 96.

Bull Durham Racing
WEROCK Stock Mod East
Team #360
95yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11253
Oh well... that's lame that they won' check my engine but I can give it a try anyway haha... I'm wondering if it could be that but we just replaced the O2 last year so it shouldn't be bad already!

Thanks for the input!
Old 06-03-2005, 08:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 48233
It never hurts to check the easy stuff. Me personally have never taken off the fuel rail, but I'm sure a haynes would explain it quite well
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 14570
Check your fuel pressure. My XJ was acting just like this. Fuel pump was only giving 20 psi. New fuel pump fixed the problem.
Hickeyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 11253
How much effort and time does it take with a couple people to replace the fuel pump? I'm thinkin' we should just do it anyway since It's probably never been replaced.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:10 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 2769
Quit expecting to be hand fed answers to every stupid little question that comes to yer pea brain and ... R.T.F.M.!
Jaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 11253
I actually knew this was gonna come eventually but I honestly think it's easier for someone to tell it in a way that is easy to understand rather than me searching for it or reading a manual. And IMO ... the manuals don't explain things like this very well at all. We have both a Haynes and Chiltons manual and they're both pretty lacking when it comes to explaining some of these things.

I'm pretty sure most people would rather get a quick short answer and some are willing to give those sort of answers... the ones that aren't - shouldn't bother saying anything. But since I'm just a 17 year old 4.0 highschool student with a "pea" brain that managed to build my Jeep up to the point it is now - nobody should listen to me.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 14570
Don't come back until you can tell us what your fuel pressure is.
Hickeyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 04:18 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 14620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickeyjones
Don't come back until you can tell us what your fuel pressure is.
And what codes the computer has stored.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 11253
K... I finally got a fuel pressure sensor and sure enough... after 30min to an hour of driving, it dropped down to around 20ish and sometimes just totally cut out so we spent all last night trying to drop the fuel tank (rear bumper in the way... kinked and tangled hoses as well as those oh-so-common bolts that need WD-40) - Anyway... so we got everything out and cleaned up then put it back together with a new fuel pump and that seems to have fixed the problem. I drove it to work this morning and back this morning with no problems or stutters so I think that was it.

Thanks for all the help guys! Sorry for being... whatever, haha - Now I gotta go test out this new 8.8 and the E-Locker I just had installed! I'm lovin' my OX Locker up front, that's for sure!