aussie locker - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2005, 01:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 45631
aussie locker

PLEASE DONT BUMP THIS TO THE NOB SECTION I WANT A REPLY FROM AUSSIE HIMSELF!!!!
Tonight i got a call from a friend. He got your lockers front and rear for a 95yj. The lockers were for a d35 rear and a d30 front (dont give me shit about the stock turds it is not my jeeo LOL). I got the call because i have installed a few lockrights, track locks, spider gears and such in my day. It was easy enough to install (so i thought). We started with the rear. I left out the thrust washers because the locker would not fit with them on. I never used them on any other locker i had installed. We tried your spin one tire forward till it starts to move the shaft (in gear) then spin the other backwards. we could not get it to let go. I told him to back it up 5 feet to see if it just needed to settle. That broke all 4 shear pins!! I know i put it on right. It would not fit on with the thrust washers. I could get it to fit with one washer BUT that would throw off the center shaft making the locker break free to one side more easy than the other. The pins and springs that came with it were the same for the front and rear. SHIT!!! this thing aint even mine now i am out some loot for trying to help a friend with an easy install . I know i didnt mix them up its the XD-13530 rear (with shaft)and XD-13027 front without shaft. Plus the rear has the slots for those damned c-clips. WHY DID IT HAVE SO MUCH PLAY IN THE MAIN SHAFT TO THE POINT THE 4 SPRINGS TOOK ALL THE FORCE AND SNAPPED IN 5 FEET? Do you sell rebuild kits? it did no harm to the locker itself. It still looks brand new. When clearanced right do the 4 pins with the nipples that go into the springs set into the other peice, or do they ride above it? I have spent 8 hours scratching my head! It should have taken 3 to do front and rear! If i dont figure this out in 24 hours i am going to throw his spider gears back in and let him find someone with a bigger brain than me! I have never had a problem putting on any other locker!

Last edited by SWAMPER-BOB; 07-03-2005 at 01:29 AM.
SWAMPER-BOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2005, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 49793
You might want to post your problem here.. It's aussielocker thread in "> Vendors Showcase > Axles/Tires/Wheels" but don't expect a reply on 4th of July weekend!

/forum/axles-tires-wheels/251180-aussie-lockers-stock.html

I'll be interested in seeing how they handle this, cus I'm about to put lockers in my ZJ.

Good Luck!
doyll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2005, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pigs Fly

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPER-BOB
When clearanced right do the 4 pins with the nipples that go into the springs set into the other peice, or do they ride above it?
Mine met all the tolerance stuff they set, and the pins set in about 1/8" or so into the the other piece. I also used the thrust washers as per the instructions...this is for a D44 though.

Yours IS in a D35 though, so it's possible that the housing and/or carrier might be tweaked enough to screw it up.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2005, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 45631
Yeah it will not fit with the thrust washers. I did everything but hit it with a hammer to try to get it in. I used grease, then dry, then switch sides, then change the parts around, and then repeated it all!!

Last edited by SWAMPER-BOB; 07-03-2005 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 19383
We are working with the vehicle owner today to set up a conference call on what is causing this installation problem. We responded to the customers email this morning at 2:00AM and got Australian engineernig involved. Once we work through the issues and come up with a resolution we will certainly report here what we found. We apologize that Swamper-Bob and the customer had such a frustrating installation experience as that is not the norm with the many thousands of Aussie Lockers installed to-date.
aussielocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2005, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 31848
Send a message via AIM to XJ_ranger
Talking

sounds like you need some smaller thrust washers....

they are sold in many different thicknesses...

JV Rally Post #175 Tellico Rally post #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp87 View Post
I think our friend GreatWhiteXJ is forgetting a zero in his pulled-from-rectume tolerance. That's the only way it could possibly make sense. If that's the case, a refresher of 4th grade math is in order.
XJ_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2005, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 45631
WOW! this guy is good! I just got to my friends house. Aussie had already emailed him like 6 times with tec support. I am sure we will get this worked out and my dumb ass prob put something in backwards. Either way he was jonny on the spot with some help A+.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
kpj
Rock God

Member # 6920
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussielocker
We are working with the vehicle owner today to set up a conference call on what is causing this installation problem. We responded to the customers email this morning at 2:00AM and got Australian engineernig involved. Once we work through the issues and come up with a resolution we will certainly report here what we found. We apologize that Swamper-Bob and the customer had such a frustrating installation experience as that is not the norm with the many thousands of Aussie Lockers installed to-date.
Just another small reason why POR and it's vendors kicks absolute ass!!!!!!

kpj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2005, 04:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 45631
Well, we got the rear locker in(with the thrust washers) in a couple of hours. It was a very tight fit. It pays to work on jeeps before dark so you can see what your doing. It works perfectly as you said it would with a smooth un-lock around corners. We used the hill on the curb to get a tire off the ground in 2-hi and it stayed locked. I will let him drive it for a while. Then give me some feedback in a few weeks. I broke my trac-lock (took the pins out) on the highway because my swampers had a leak. i had 4 psi in the driver and 21psi in the pas side and didnt know it(sx's have no sidewall flex). For now i just put the stock spider gears back in it. I may end up with an aussie later on because of the help we got. His thrust washer's were thicker than other years of wranglers that i have seen, and that is what caused us the prob. It works perfect now. This is a very smooth locker in my opinion. thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by SWAMPER-BOB; 07-03-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 49909
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussielocker
Well, I'm the vehicle owner and I have to say that the guys at torquemasters/aussie really went out of their way this weekend to help get this thing installed. I was hesitant to call them because I knew that it was a holiday weekend and I didn't think they would be around. As it is, they have emailed me numerous times and answered all my questions with great patience. They even called me to help. Thanks Aussie for not leaving me hung out to dry. I can't ask for better service after the sale.
dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2005, 11:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 23514
That's awesome customer service!
greentj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2005, 11:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 22923
My mind is made up - I am putting aussie lockers in the TJ until i get a built HP44 up front and gears F/R...

I have lockrite experience but I support the underdogs and good cunstomer service vendors
Benzz0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2005, 07:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 1443
Send a message via AIM to CannonBall Send a message via Yahoo to CannonBall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzz0
My mind is made up - I am putting aussie lockers in the TJ until i get a built HP44 up front and gears F/R...

I have lockrite experience but I support the underdogs and good cunstomer service vendors
Yep, got my d44 aussie locker on the way. Good to see if I have problems with it they will have aussies on the job, stat! Hopefully it's not more difficult than a no-slip or lockright or mini-spool...
-Nate
CannonBall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2005, 11:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 24322
Glad to hear that they are such stand up folks. I've been considering giving them a try this might influence me that little extra. I would've before if it hadn't been for the backorder months out on my 44 locker.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 7163
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonBall
Hopefully it's not more difficult than a no-slip or lockright or mini-spool...
-Nate
It's not, it's basically the same design as the Lockright. As a matter of fact, read this.
Oxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 08:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 22923
Just ordered mine from Bill

Thanks Bill!
Benzz0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.