What type of Jeep to look for. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2005, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 47311
What type of Jeep to look for.

I got my feet wet in the world of offroad with a 95 Suzuki Samurai I picked up for $900. Did a lot to it, SPOA, YJ springs, gears and such. Now it is going to be handed down to the kids to play with and I'm now looking to go Jeep. I would like something 1976 or older so I don't have to worry about smog checks anymore. My question to you guys is which model should I look at between the CJ5 and the CJ7. It will be 75% offroad in the So Cal Deserts. No real hard wheeling (kids will be in there) mainly trail driving and climbing easy stuff. Any input would be great.
Calzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1760
One not running and cheap,I wish that's what I did on my first Jeep....look for a good strong frame with no cracks or booty-fab.

I bought my my first one for 3K and ended up modifying everything, I could have got a broken down heep for half that If I'd known what I was getting into.
you should be able to find one $2000 on down depending on condition..
Good luck.

Last edited by BossBuilt; 08-21-2005 at 10:33 AM.
BossBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
The CJ7 didn't come out until '76, so if that's what you want you're really limiting your choices. CJ frames older than '78 aren't fully boxed and '75 and older are only boxed in the engine compartment (read: weak).

You'll be trouble ahead by going newer and dealing with smog.

BTW, try the newbie board (where this will hopefully get moved to).
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 4787
Send a message via AIM to Geesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP
yep, what he said. You'll get more good tech that way.

But I disagree with the above comments. I bought a non-running rig and re-did it all, and I mean everything. Had I to do it all over again, I'd choose a FI YJ 4.0 and just build as I go, so I'd have a rig that ran and improved with my off-road driving skills. As it is, I've already been through a 1/2 ton p/u, an XJ and now a Montero 2-door that I am using to wheel while I build my real rig.

Don't worry about smog and just build it right so it passes smog. If you're running a smoker, I sure don't want to be behind you and suck your fumes during a trail ride. And older rigs leak, so consider a spill kit. And remember that an older rig is going to be more work that you bargained for no matter how much you know or have done. Trust me on this one. Get a YJ, go SOA, run 35"'s and have fun while the big build happens in the shadows . . .

Good luck
Old 08-23-2005, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 38630
could fimd an old commando ... but you would have to box the back half of the frame.. they look cool all done up and you could haul your kids to..
Old 08-23-2005, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 45206
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP
The CJ7 didn't come out until '76, so if that's what you want you're really limiting your choices. CJ frames older than '78 aren't fully boxed and '75 and older are only boxed in the engine compartment (read: weak).

You'll be trouble ahead by going newer and dealing with smog.

Like CSP and Geesh said, you'll need to box the frame if your using it for hardcore wheelin', on my 74 CJ-5 I am going to do the same. It's kinda a tradeoff, if you go with a CJ-5 you'll want to stretch it, or at least I did for extra stability and length, plus boxing it. But a YJ or newer CJ7 would be alot easier, you can pick them up for decent prices, I paid about $1500 for my 5 that was running but had some minor body damage. Just look around.
#1 Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote