What to use for WB stretch in TJ? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2005, 09:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Member # 18770
Location: Waterford CT
Posts: 127
What to use for WB stretch in TJ?

I've searched and there are lots of different ways that people stretch the rear of a TJ. Was just wondering if 1 1/2x2 1/2 rectangle (1/4 wall) is just as good as using 2 1/2 box. I know that box will be stronger, but what is strength and what is overkill vs. weight. Cutting the frame parellel with the floor near the top of the hump and running this tube straight back. Comments, other ideas, pics.
__________________
kwrangln. "And that ladies and gentlmen is what a high tech bitch slap looks like."
chad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Bushwhacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member # 9138
Location: Godfrey, IL
Posts: 2,497
Send a message via ICQ to Bushwhacker
I used 2x4 3/16" wall.
__________________
WEROCK Judge
RROCK Legends Competitor

97 TJ buggy,4.0,727,Atlas,D60,14B

Facebook

myspace
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2005, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Member # 18770
Location: Waterford CT
Posts: 127
I thought about that, but I can not get a full weld around the box if I use 4x2 and try and match the frame. Part of the frame is above the fender/body and I was keeping the body on the frame. I'm not choping the entire back out. Thats why I'm asking about other ways to build the extension. I think that my explination makes sense if not ask, I want as much input as I can. Would 2 1/2 box in 3/16 wall be enough for it?? If I cut the frame parellel to the floor, I will be able to cut it in an area that will allow for full weld around the box (horizontal cut not vertical).

This is kind of what I'm talking about. May make more sense.
http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/l...6/IMG_0023.jpg

If anyone can paste the pic instead, please do, it will make the post easier.
__________________
kwrangln. "And that ladies and gentlmen is what a high tech bitch slap looks like."
chad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
ItsaCJ6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Member # 6340
Location: Back in the woods
Posts: 3,921
Blog Entries: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3
I thought about that, but I can not get a full weld around the box if I use 4x2 and try and match the frame. Part of the frame is above the fender/body and I was keeping the body on the frame. I'm not choping the entire back out. Thats why I'm asking about other ways to build the extension. I think that my explination makes sense if not ask, I want as much input as I can. Would 2 1/2 box in 3/16 wall be enough for it?? If I cut the frame parellel to the floor, I will be able to cut it in an area that will allow for full weld around the box (horizontal cut not vertical).

This is kind of what I'm talking about. May make more sense.
http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/l...6/IMG_0023.jpg

If anyone can paste the pic instead, please do, it will make the post easier.
I would not use 3/16.....1/4 wall min, I would even go for 5/16s.
Since you want to shorten the tubing and loose the resistance to bending gained by the height. This means you have to make up the diffference with hell for stout tubing.

I would also fish plate that joint to increase the contact area on the frame.
__________________
Marc

In what appears to have been an understatement, the plant operator described the situation at the Number 4 reactor as "not so good."

Super conversion calculator website

Love and kisses, Zaphod..

Last edited by ItsaCJ6; 08-23-2005 at 12:21 PM.
ItsaCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44856
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 804
Send a message via AIM to DownNDirty
Just loosen up the body mounts and lift it up to weld under the body. You don't have to pull it off, just get enough room to get a good weld.
DownNDirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44611
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 46
Send a message via AIM to Doby45 Send a message via MSN to Doby45 Send a message via Yahoo to Doby45
Pic chad3 linked to.

Doby45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Bushwhacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member # 9138
Location: Godfrey, IL
Posts: 2,497
Send a message via ICQ to Bushwhacker
I cut mine totally off and slid the new frame into the existing rail, fish mouthed and plated it. Might have been 1/4" cant remember.

__________________
WEROCK Judge
RROCK Legends Competitor

97 TJ buggy,4.0,727,Atlas,D60,14B

Facebook

myspace

Last edited by Bushwhacker; 08-23-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Member # 16072
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 157
Dang Bushwhacker, that looks nice. I've thought about a dovetail but haven't got the balls up to do it yet. Whattaya got air shocks up front?

Doby, yours looks nice too.
__________________
2000 TJ
Construction Done?
j200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Bushwhacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member # 9138
Location: Godfrey, IL
Posts: 2,497
Send a message via ICQ to Bushwhacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by j200
Dang Bushwhacker, that looks nice. I've thought about a dovetail but haven't got the balls up to do it yet. Whattaya got air shocks up front?

Doby, yours looks nice too.

14" Fox Air shocks front and rear. Added a rear sway bar for stability.

Came out a little taller than I wanted. I goofed up when building my front truss for the 3 link and made it too tall, so I didnt get my ride height as low as I could have because the space between my heim and harmonic balancer is only like 4".

My other option would be to move the rad to the rear and move the axle farther forward.
__________________
WEROCK Judge
RROCK Legends Competitor

97 TJ buggy,4.0,727,Atlas,D60,14B

Facebook

myspace
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Member # 16072
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
14" Fox Air shocks front and rear. Added a rear sway bar for stability.

Came out a little taller than I wanted. I goofed up when building my front truss for the 3 link and made it too tall, so I didnt get my ride height as low as I could have because the space between my heim and harmonic balancer is only like 4".

My other option would be to move the rad to the rear and move the axle farther forward.
Yep, the only reason I didn't get that same issue was because I did a 4 link up front, therefore my heims straddle the h-balancer.

When I put the v8 in I had to deal with a radiator/water pump clearence issue. I was able to recess the rad into the grill about an inch. AC had to go though.
__________________
2000 TJ
Construction Done?
j200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Bushwhacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member # 9138
Location: Godfrey, IL
Posts: 2,497
Send a message via ICQ to Bushwhacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by j200
Yep, the only reason I didn't get that same issue was because I did a 4 link up front, therefore my heims straddle the h-balancer.

When I put the v8 in I had to deal with a radiator/water pump clearence issue. I was able to recess the rad into the grill about an inch. AC had to go though.

Debating on losing the AC too. If I can get away with a grill shell in my class, I might hack mine up and move the rad forward and move the axle.

Would love to do a SBC also, but wife wants me to spend money on her jeep.
__________________
WEROCK Judge
RROCK Legends Competitor

97 TJ buggy,4.0,727,Atlas,D60,14B

Facebook

myspace
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Jeepman14wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Member # 46071
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,112
Here is another idea, not sure who's Jeep this is though?
Attached Images
 
Jeepman14wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Member # 18770
Location: Waterford CT
Posts: 127
That last one is PT's Jeep, its the other way that I was thinking of going, but seemed to be a bit harder to get a good weld all the way around. He ran the box on a diagonal, so he could get more weld instead of straight down. I think I'm going to run the 2 1/2 box and put a triangle on the downside and see how she runs. Do you think that I can just run a X through the middle and call it good?
__________________
kwrangln. "And that ladies and gentlmen is what a high tech bitch slap looks like."
chad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5021
Location: Lincoln, CA
Posts: 6,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaCJ6
I would not use 3/16.....1/4 wall min, I would even go for 5/16s.

I would also fish plate that joint to increase the contact area on the frame.
3/16 is more than ample. How thick is the factory frame? Not 1/4". 3/16" is fine if he is running coils or leafs, but also if running coilovers or air shocks.

Fish plate at the joint is a very good idea.
__________________
Don't be "THAT GUY" on the trail.

www.voodoowax.com
The Rockslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Member # 18770
Location: Waterford CT
Posts: 127
Thanks Slut,
I'm going to get the tube now.
__________________
kwrangln. "And that ladies and gentlmen is what a high tech bitch slap looks like."
chad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.