Pirate 4x4 banner

Shop Class Project

38K views 154 replies 95 participants last post by  shopteach 
#1 ·
What do you think? Our high school shop class is going to build a stock class rockcrawling competition TJ and compete in the NEUROC series this spring. After we compete 2 seasons, we will give the Jeep away to the lucky ticket buyer. We hope to raise $ to but a CNC mill.
PS We are starting with a bare frame and body donated by Davey's Jeeps of Salem OH

#11 ·
I got to make slim jims in shop class. :smokin:

Hey teach, I don't know what resources you have, but I can "point you in the right direction" for cheap/free parts and cheap/free experience in building a Jeep. I'm in Toledo, and a Toolmaker by trade, Jeepbreaker by choice.

Not too many "extreme rockcrawlers" in OH that I know of. But there are ALOT of peeps that know Jeeps and building them up. Some also have alot of stuff "laying around" or would be willing to let go for a good price or possible tax deduction.

Pirate is the place to find all knowledge about rockcrawling vehicles.

Will help any way I can.

e-mail me at toolmantimiii@yahoo.com

#13 ·
We appreciate the offers for help! Thanks for the positive feedback too. Some people think we should build a jeep and give it away (not compete) because no one will want a used comp rig. what do you think? we plan to keep it well maintained...

#18 ·
That is an awesome project. The things that the kids build in the shops at school there must put the things that get built around here to shame. At my high school I think there would be about 2 people that could/would do work that wouldn't be scary on a trail rig let alone a comp rig. :laughing:

Want to move your class to portland?

good luck

#19 · (Edited)
scoot said:
Davey's Jeeps of Salem OH is he the one that sells wrecked jeeps ? and If so do you have any info on him, thanks
Yes, Davey's Jeeps has literally hundreds of jeeps whole or parts for sale from 1941-present. He has rubicon unlimiteds........ect. 330 337 5037 home. remember EST zone. he has really helped our project get started, he donated a 2002 TJ body tub, hood, grille, and a 99 TJ frame. great guy!

#21 ·
ToyotaJeep said:
Cool. My kids built a Jeep last year. It is a Willy's Wagon on 38's with Wagoneer running gear etc.

I say go for it, they will love it.

I'm a "shop teacher" as well. We are finishing the Jeep off this fall.

Good luck.

good deal, any pics? or web site?

#22 · (Edited)
This is awesome. It is truely a shame that shop classes are slowly being phased out of the school systems here. The only thing we have at my high school now is a wood working class. Only 1 or 2 other auto tech programs in the school system (Charlotte Meck is a BIG system). Just sad. But it is great to see a teacher with this much passion and just to get on the board and ask questions shows alot. :)

#23 ·
let me get on my soap box here.......you are right! it is a real shame that the shop classes with industrial machinery (most of ours is WWII era) are being closed in favor of the "college is the only option" classes, or the "simulated shop class" on the computer. society (the vocal part) feels that technical training is something for the "bad" kids that cannot function in the classroom and will probably drop out anyway. unfortunately, it is sometimes a dumping ground for those kids. well, i'll take them! most are good kids (a little rebelious) but have some skills hiding below their rough exterior. the biggest problem (and it is getting worse) is lack of parental involvement in their kid's lives. parents have a job to do! it is not always easy, it requires time and consistency. if i can keep a kid on track in my class, then the parents can keep them on track too. the problem is that parent accept bad behavior, no manners, no responsibility, and no effort from their kids. i am really sorry to rant but i see things getting worse and it breaks my heart to see a kid quit school. this project has 3 main goals: keep kids in school, build relationships with business that will hire students, raise money to buy equipment that will mirror what is currently used in industry. this is a hell of a big project but i know that something big is needed to swing things to the positive side for shop classes and their students.

#25 ·
I would've spent less time fuckin around in shop class if we had a kick ass project like that to do.

shopteach said:
society (the vocal part) feels that technical training is something for the "bad" kids that cannot function in the classroom and will probably drop out anyway.
Thats funny the technical training that I got in high school helped me get the job that I'm making my way through college on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.