HELP!!! rear axle help needed - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2005, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 45304
HELP!!! rear axle help needed

First and foremost, I am fully aware that my rear axle sucks...needs to be swapped out etc...but thats just not in my budget right now.
The problem
I had just stripped the spider gears in my rear axle, which is unfortunety the dana 35. The drivers side was totally stripped, and the rest looked bad, but
were still complete.
The ring and pinion looked fine, no chunks missing. I found a great deal on a Detroit E-Z locker, which replaced the spider gears..I know what it sounds like when the locker is ratcheting, going around turns and such, but the axle is making a loud and very different popping sound going straight down the road. It can definitly be felt in the Jeep. Going different speeds doesnt seem to change anything....It seems to be coming out from the drivers side primarilly, and when the wheels were off the ground, I hand turned both the wheels, and the pinion, it all felt fine......anyone know what is now going on in there?
The vehicle is my Grand Cherokee. 93.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 31852
Seems to me since the drive side spider gears stripped out and now you get a ratching sounds from the driver side with the Detroit something is causing added load/friction on the driverside.

Of course its Tuesday and I could just be talking out my ass...
nagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2005, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 45304
I thought about that...and that may be. I can turn the drivers side tire just fine, no friction, or grinding....turns easilly....

I just opened up the rear end, and saw no big chips, or any chunks of stuff floating around, also called a few people, and some said theres does it, and some say theres does not.........
Old 10-04-2005, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 31852
You should not get any pops or ratching when going straight. The EZ_Locker just pops into the carrier correct? Maybe you have a carrier bearing that is going bad and only acts up under load? Just a thought.
nagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 47487
Sounds like locker-pop to me. Is this the first time you have used a locker? Everybody I know that runs the el-cheapo lockers (Lok-Rite, Detroit, whoever...manufacturer doesn't seem to matter) has this same issue. You get a loud (sometimes REALLY loud) pop and the whole vehicle will lurch.

Were your shims worn? Did you put them back on the right (correct) side(s)? That could be causing some slop in there that is making it worse
Old 10-05-2005, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6340
Sounds like you should take it apart and look at it. Could be old teeth floating around in there, could be your axle is broke, could be your carrier is split. Look.

In what appears to have been an understatement, the plant operator described the situation at the Number 4 reactor as "not so good."

Super conversion calculator website

Love and kisses, Zaphod..
ItsaCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Could also be your housing and or shaft are bent, or are debris still from the old spiders. I would open, take it apart and put it back together, since most likely you will have to open it up anywwys to fix it. Check the shafts and positioning, and if you installed yourself, repeat or check the steps, could be installer error

Good luck!

Gui
geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 62
bent shaft/housing could definatly cause this kind of behaivor. Also could be something with the way the locker was installed
Old 10-05-2005, 08:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 17983
I would suspect your locker is worn,are the teeth rounded or chipped?
I had a 35 with an e-z locker in my dd wrangler (6cylinder-5speed)that lasted for 5years. 3 months was with a twisted shaft - during which the locker acted normal. It wasn't until the teeth became worn that my locker started popping alot weather going straight or turning.
I tried to find a good used locker after mine became worn(E-bay). I purchased two and both were worn!. - luckily both were decent sellers and I was able to get my money back.
porkman is offline   Reply With Quote