TBI 350 swap into YJ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2002, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10709
TBI 350 swap into YJ

Whats up everyone. This is my frist post on here. My name is mike and I have a 92 yj...Lets just leave it at that. I'll post pics soon. Im thinkin about putting a 350TBI into it. My question is, just exactly how hard will this swap be? Iv never swapped a FI engine. I'v heard this board was more hardcore and maybe you would know something. Anyone ever done this before? Whats a good trans. for crawlin?

Thanks
Mike
Jeepman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2159
Send a message via ICQ to Supergper Send a message via AIM to Supergper Send a message via MSN to Supergper Send a message via Yahoo to Supergper
Well difficulty depends on a number of things...your ability to do it(tools knowledge and parts you have) do you have access to a shop or someplace where you can do it easily are you going to fab everything or are you going to buy all the brackets and stuff...you can make it an easy swap if you want to pay the money and go to a company like AA...as for a trans what do you want auto or manual...auto I would recommend a TH350 because it is lighter lower geared usually cheaper and shorter than a TH400 but a 400 is the beef in chevy auto trans...manuals I dont have a ton of experience but I would suggest the SM420 or SM465...both have low first gears and both will bolt right up to any chevy motor with the 90* bolt pattern...on this board you need to be very specific to what you ask...because there is always someone on here that has done it(no matter what it is)....welcome newbie
Old 03-16-2002, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
tys

Member # 356
Send a message via ICQ to tys Send a message via Yahoo to tys
The SM465 requires a specific bellhousing though, so if you go that route, like I did, make sure you get EVERYTHING!
tys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 2159
Send a message via ICQ to Supergper Send a message via AIM to Supergper Send a message via MSN to Supergper Send a message via Yahoo to Supergper
another word of advice is search

check out this link...TOTW:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...threadid=36451