Smart Key Immobilizer Module - How to disable? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2005, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 41947
Smart Key Immobilizer Module - How to disable?

How the hell do you get rid of the Smart Key Immobilizer Module. I don't want it and I want to start my jeep.

Is there a way to bypass it?
iispms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by iispms
How the hell do you get rid of the Smart Key Immobilizer Module. I don't want it and I want to start my jeep.

Is there a way to bypass it?
not without getting an ECM that has not had the SKIM function activated and removing the detector ring from around the ignition.

It cannot be bypassed if you do not have the keys it responds to.
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2005, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 56125
iispms, the ECM can be reprogrammed to ignore the SKIM command or you can swap out the ECM and ignition switch. I am fairly sure just removing the SKIM "ring" and ECM swap wont work as we have done this a few times with V8 swaps. Another thing to note...if you install a non SKIM ECM with out removing the rest of the system, it will write a nonerasable code to the new ECM rendering it useless...learned that the hard way once! The best solution is to reprogram the ECM to just ignore the damn SKIM crap. The dash also knows its had a SKIM code at one time and causes lots of nasty problems too....I have worked for a few months on SKIM problems fumbling in the dark as Chrysler keeps SKIM info more guarded than Area 51 . Let me know if you need any further assistance, Evan
dakotaparts.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2005, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 41947
I found out that I don't have SKIM in my Jeep, but the ECU thinks it does. The dealer tried to clear it, but insisted that I need a new one. I didn't want to do it, but I don't have time to jack with it and need it running this week.

They got me at a weak moment and I bought it. The ECU is on order and should be in the end of the week.

Chip
iispms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2005, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 56125
Unfortunatly, a SKIM error is a non-erasable code and can only be fixed by a new ECM or our "bypass" program. I guess Chrysler was worried about people with a DRB III scan tool, a "blank" ECM and a $90 SKIM key stealing their customers cars....probably never heard of car theives using a tow truck...which is cheaper than all the scanner,ECM and key...sounds like you have it under control now...
dakotaparts.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.