Front Axle forward out - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2005, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 45295
Thumbs up Front Axle forward out

Who moved forward front axle, I`d like some pic`s regarding how to figured out linkage.
I`m thinking in use waggy springs on front but I guess I`ll move about 2 inches out linkage, and I will get more WB.

Nestor
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 55647
Im not going to flame seeing as how Im new here too, but you might want to move this to newbie
Dangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2005, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21077
I am asuming you are talking about a cj or yj. I went full hydro on mine so I did not have to worry about it but when I was exploring my options I was told that either I would have to cut the tube out of the frame and rebrace it elsewhere or to switch to a ford aerostar or scout pump since the pitman arm turns the opposite direction and move it back on the frame. Do a search and you should find plenty of info as this swap has been done a lot.
BrokeYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Evil Twin

Member # 10695
Send a message via AIM to yager
you post up asking for help yet can be bothered to post ANY fucking info about what it is your actually building. AND your profile doesn't have any info in it... You need to go search or go away..
2006 Ford e450-RV/Ambulance
Stroke - Coumadin(warfarin) - INR - Heart Valve - Ask me (true story)
yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 25424
Unless your going full hydro save yourself a lot of grief and move the steering gear forward the same amount that you stretch the front. You can move it up to 4 1/2" without doing this but you will have to run off the top of the pitman arm and limit the front travel with bumpstops to keep the tie rod out of the pitman arm. Just move the gear, then you don't have to worry about it.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 15811
As the rest of the guys have said, more info is needed here. For what it is worth, i moved my front axle forward when I swapped in my chevy 60 in the CJ5/6. I used a trick from the toyota guys and borrowed spring packs from the rear of a 4wd toyota truck for the front. They happen to be the same width dimension as stock YJs. I took the first three springs (mil wrapped) and combined them with a set of OME YJ springs i already had. The offset pin moved the axle forward a couple of inches and they yj springs were a perfect match to complete the set. Just experiment with rate by adding or subtracting springs. If you get your springs from the junk yard, they are already sagged out, so you can get a pretty good idea of ride height right off the bat when you put them on. They are cheap as hell and easy to replace if you bend one. I run WFO double highsteer arms (one in front, one behind) and did not have to move a thing. I could have run the standard highsteer setup also, but i chose to run this one for other reasons.

Just a note, I was doing a full width swap, so I was already putting in new spring mounts and outboarding. The Toyota springs are a good deal longer than the YJs, so new mounts will be required to do this swap. Also consider XJ rears or Wagoneer fronts for a similar setup. My brother is a toyota guy, so they are plentifull at my house. Added bonus is the longer spring flexes like mad.
[COLOR="Silver"]♣[/COLOR][B][COLOR="Lime"][FONT="Arial Black"][B]Bink'sFab[/B][/FONT][/B][/color][COLOR="Silver"]rication[/COLOR][COLOR="Lime"]♣[/COLOR] - [URL="http://facebook.com/binksfab"]facebook.com/binksfab[/URL]
1972CJ5+1 is offline   Reply With Quote