OBA Question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2006, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 63802
OBA Question

First Hardcore Tech post so be gentle. I didnít think the newbie section would have the insight on this.

I just did a OBA setup on my 95 YJ. I used a pick and pull AC compressor from a XJ and the rest of the parts were bought from a local hardware store with the exception of the 3 gallon air tank. Everything appears to be working great so far. I have one question for you experts out there. It deals with lubricating the AC unit. Right now I have an in-line oiler on the intake side of the AC compressor. I donít know enough about these in-line oilers to know if I am getting enough pressure going through them to actually extract oil from them. Below I have some pictures of my setup and what I am talking about. Can anyone tell me if this oiler should work or if there isnít enough pressure created by the compressorís suction alone?

In-Line Oiler:

Pressure switch, Check valve, Air/Water filter, Relay, Pressure gauge:

Front Output:

Rear Output:

Tank:
Old 02-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 63802
Blah.. No help with this??
Old 02-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Nice setup. I run an inline oiler on the air in from teh tank, bought one from OSH or Home Depot, and it was running perfect. Just keep an eye on the level after every run. I also had an oil collector right after the compressor, which collected any excess oil from teh compressor and was able to run and reuse the oil a few times when needed.

I have a write-up somewhere around here witha diagram.

I recently switched to a York compressor, but the compressor you have is a good and easy setup.

Gui
geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 63802
Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard
Nice setup. I run an inline oiler on the air in from teh tank, bought one from OSH or Home Depot, and it was running perfect. Just keep an eye on the level after every run. I also had an oil collector right after the compressor, which collected any excess oil from teh compressor and was able to run and reuse the oil a few times when needed.

I have a write-up somewhere around here witha diagram.

I recently switched to a York compressor, but the compressor you have is a good and easy setup.

Gui
Thanks Gui..

I just installed it and will be taking it out for it's first run this weekend. I too have a oil collector on the output of the compressor. With the little testing I've done, I don't see any oil pooling in the oil collector. I wasn't sure if there was no oil being pushed through the compressor or if it just took a few uses for the oil to make it's way through everything. Thus the reason I haven't run it a whole lot, I don't want to burn it up if this setup didn't seem solid to you experts.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
One thing you can try to make sure you compressor gets some lubrication, give the compressor a few squirts of Slick 50 (or other such "miricle lubricant") straight in the suction side to give your inline oiler a little help. I don't think the bowl style filter is designed to be an intake. I would run a K&N style breather filter ($8 in the ricer isle at your local parts store) rather than the bowl filter that you have now and put the bowl filter on the outlet side. The oil/water seperator you have now will fill up with condensation pretty quick, you'll want one with a bowl that is easy to drain. Seems like it's mounted pretty low. I'd be concerned about that wide open end getting clogged up. Stick your hand near the intake (not IN it you might get a pretty good hickey) and see if you can feel good suction. It should be enough to keep the compressor oiled though. Over all looks pretty good. Get some adel style clamps (or use another piece of hose to cushion) to clamp your hose to the frame, I think the plumber strap you have could cut the line.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

Last edited by guidolyons; 02-02-2006 at 01:16 PM.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 52695
Wink

I ran a factory ac in my 93yj for a few years. The inline oiler seemed to put too much restriction on it. I would hand oil it but eventually it burned up. I did like alot of people do and went to a York. $28 at the U Pull It. It works much better. I hooked my air intake line with a t fitting on the hose that goes fron the valve cover to the air filter. (the one that oils your air filter!). That way I don't have to mess with an extra air filter, and it gets residual oil in the air!
Brokagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 63802
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons
One thing you can try to make sure you compressor gets some lubrication, give the compressor a few squirts of Slick 50 (or other such "miricle lubricant") straight in the suction side to give your inline oiler a little help. I don't think the bowl style filter is designed to be an intake. I would run a K&N style breather filter ($8 in the ricer isle at your local parts store) rather than the bowl filter that you have now and put the bowl filter on the outlet side. The oil/water seperator you have now will fill up with condensation pretty quick, you'll want one with a bowl that is easy to drain. Seems like it's mounted pretty low. I'd be concerned about that wide open end getting clogged up. Stick your hand near the intake (not IN it you might get a pretty good hickey) and see if you can feel good suction. It should be enough to keep the compressor oiled though. Over all looks pretty good. Get some adel style clamps (or use another piece of hose to cushion) to clamp your hose to the frame, I think the plumber strap you have could cut the line.
Thanks for the tips..

I haven't put my hand up to the intake for fear of that hickey lol.. But I'm pretty sure I am getting good air flow as it takes less then a minute to fill the 3 gallon tank to 145 PSI.