Frame construction/mod questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 52763
Frame construction/mod questions

I am doing a low-buck modification to my old Jeepster. Primary use, crawling, a true 90% off road.
I am not going to build a new frame , convert to coils, or get too weird with it.
The frame is shot (metal fatigue), I have another, but got a 74 Chero with 44s and a QuadraTrac and another 75 chero frame and axles.
I am considering using the chero frame, but havent decided whether it's better to to leave it alone, or cut up my second chero frame to fully box it. Boxing it may actually cause it to crack, as it will become inflexible, and would cut down articulation.
Any experiences here?
How about the "post mount" rear springs? Will they hold up, or am i better off changing them to conventional hangers? I will have to buy springs either way.

Last edited by Arborigine; 02-08-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Arborigine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
I don't know about the compatibilty of the Cherokee frame v/s the Jeepster, but why would you need to cut up the other frame? Just get some 3/16 flat plate and box the frame with that.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
guidolyons is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 8513
Boxing the frame entirly would help. The cracks you mention happen where the boxing stops and a stress riser occurs and a crack will form around the frame. If the frame still flexes after its boxed, the weaker stock frame will crack rather that the boxed portion and your back to square one. All of this can be prevented by being careful. I know you do not want to build a frame but it is still my reccomendation. It will save you time and frustration in the long run. Just use most of the measurment for engine/tranny location from your stock frame and you can even play with your wheelbase if you want to. If you use simple 2x4" or 2x3" .180 wall steel tubing, you can put a base frame together quickly. My record - 6 hours

Last edited by SLO-J; 02-09-2006 at 09:28 PM.
SLO-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 52763
Cutting a donor frame is a major time saver. When using a standard "C" section frame, the left outer side becomes a panel for the right inner, and a perfect fit of identicle material.
Building a frame isn't going to happen, i don't even have a level slab to lay it out, and I won't get away with welding in the house. The best I can do there is a bunch of blocks of wood on the gravel.

Last edited by Arborigine; 02-11-2006 at 10:06 AM.
Arborigine is offline   Reply With Quote