Fan Clearance? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2006, 05:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8830
Fan Clearance?

What kind of engine driven fan clearance in minimal (from fan blade to rad. surface) so the fan doesn't destroy the radiator?

I have a stroker 4.0 and I just installed an aluminum radiator to a CJ grill. I only have 1 3/4" of clearance from my fan blades to the radiator and about 3/4" of an inch from the center of the fan. To compare, my TJ has 2 3/8" clearance and at full flex I have ran the fan into the rad/fan shroud. The 1 3/4" seems pretty tight and I am afraid that the the Jeep flexes, the fan will chew up the radiator.

I'm toying with the idea of going electric, but I really don't want to since I'm already setup with the stock fan. Is there anyway you can put a smaller sized nut (or cut it in half?) that goes from the fan clutch to the fan?

Any idea what is a safe distance? I can't exactly get it out to flex it out to see if it hits...
Old 02-15-2006, 06:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5399
IMHO.... you spent a bunch of dough on an aluminum radiator.... buck up and get a good electric fan. I ran for years with no problem with a engine driven fan... no problem whatsoever hitting the rad, and ran a lot of difficult trails. Then one day I was gettin' on it pretty good out at paragon & everything flexed the right way and the fan went into the rad. was too bad to fix & my weekend was ruined, plus the extra expense of replacing the rad... and that was just a regular radiator.. not a nice aluminum one.

thats just my $.02

oh and btw I have a CJ with a 258
Mel85CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2006, 06:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 8830
Actually, the alum rad was a cheap one from Summit, $175. But you are right, it would totally ruin the weekend to have a fan go through the radiator. I've just read so many horror stories about running electric fans that I really didn't want to run one unless I absolutely had to...

I've also read the dual elec fans from flexalite don't cool enough, the Taurus fans pull too many amps, so what else is out there that is reliable? I did hear that Jeep may put an elec fan on the 07's, I wonder what set up they plan to use? I also heard to run a Ford crown vic cop car fan, but I haven't heard whether on not it works well....
Old 02-15-2006, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 47838
On low speed the Taurus fan pulls about 30 amps....if that is killing you, then you need a bigger altinator....

I never want another belt driven fan...you can't turn them off when going through water....and they make too much noise.

The closer the fan is to the radiator, the more noise you have and greater then chance of putting a blade into it when you go through water.

The key to making the Taurus fan work right on low speed is to make sure you have good coverage of the radiator to make sure you are pulling air through all of the radiator....
4 1/2" lift, D44, Locked, Misc goodies...
DDawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 26527
Send a message via AIM to rocksteadyrobk
you read too much of the wrong stuff I have been running Spal fans for years with no problems.. They are slim and keep everything nice ann cool. Spal makes the OEM fans for Ferrari, Lambos and Maserati's
rocksteadyrobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 26465
Even when there is room for a mechanical fan I prefer electric cause it has less chance of killing the radiator if they make contact. Plus you can turn it off during water crossings.
~matt
Old 02-16-2006, 05:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 26398
I have a factory clutch fan on my 5.2 CJ7. I have no probs whatsoever. The fan is bout 1" away from the radiator. The trick is to get the shroud setup right so it draws the air thru. I'm not a fan of electric fans, although they do have their ideal appplication, say on a tube car with very little clearance. It's just one more electrical problem to have IMO.