Pirate 4x4 banner

How do I twin stick my danan 20?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  2pwrlftrs4u 
#1 ·
I am installing a t-18A dana 20 combo in my 72 commando and I am wondering how to set up a twin stick transfer case. Is it worth the trouble? Does anyone make an easy kit to replace the stock shifter or am I going to have to make something? If anyone has pics of this type of setup I would like to see how they go together. Maybe I'll try to just make a dual shifter setup if the aftermarket does not have one available. Thanks!

Nathan

#4 ·
you can get the twin sticks and shifter stuff of any early Cj / willys truck etc with a dana 18 t-case... they were twin stick stock, and the 20 and 18 almost (and in some cases do) share the same main case...
your question is valid,
and i hope your swap goes well, but, this should have been searched,

and in 2006.... is twin-sticking a D20 still hardcore?

peace, Dave

#5 ·
Actually, I don't believe the 18 front output parts will interchange with a 20.

However, actually making the sticks isn't that hard if you use the cj 20 that has the tube to support the shifters. I cut the end off of mine and welded on a plate to build the pivot point on. Then used some tabs and a long bolt as the pivot. Fabed up some sticks and used small rod ends plus pieces of the old linkage to connect to the shift rails. Then bent sticks into desired position. Very easy, well that is after you pull the interlock pill.:D

BTW, there was also a guy on ebay selling stainless steel twinstick kits for very reasonable prices.

Kevo

#7 · (Edited)
I've done this; it's very doable. You get the increased strength of the 20 with the higher gearing of the 18. both outputs are passenger offset, while the D20's is centered. Keep that in mind. When populating the case, replace the intermediate shaft bearings. Try Novak-adapt.com for tech, parts, pics. Read and research. Oh, yeah, a bit of grinding when using the D18's twinstick housing with trannies like the 465.

Could be newbie, could be hardcore; good tech is always good for this forum. SO POST THE RESULTS OF YOUR EFFORTS. People think this place is just a repository of gimme-quick-answers. Contribute more than you consume.

Lastly, Nate frickin search
I searched using my name and I barely scratched the surface. bucuu good tech here; been covered five bajillion times

#9 · (Edited)
commandoNate said:
I am installing a t-18A dana 20 combo in my 72 commando and I am wondering how to set up a twin stick transfer case. Is it worth the trouble? Does anyone make an easy kit to replace the stock shifter or am I going to have to make something? If anyone has pics of this type of setup I would like to see how they go together. Maybe I'll try to just make a dual shifter setup if the aftermarket does not have one available. Thanks!

Nathan
these may help

http://www.trailhed.com/dana20twinstick.html

http://members.tripod.com/surfmac/5html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.