What doners for hydraulic clutch master and slave for a sm420 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2006, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 1760
What doners for hydraulic clutch master and slave for a sm420

What have you used with success?
I'm converting to hydraulic and I have a Camero "manual" bell with a 350 so I'll need to make a slave mounting bracket. I need about a 1-7/8s" stroke for full release. I have a stock wrangler master in my possession with a 11/16" bore.
Any info is appreciated.Thanks in advance.
-Kerry

Last edited by BossBuilt; 02-26-2006 at 08:30 AM.
BossBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1760
uh humm...
Old 02-26-2006, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 37184
I'd suggest contacting Advanced Adapters, and obtaining one of their catalogue/conversion manuals. They discuss various bell housing/slave cylinder combos. I used the Jeep slave cylinder referred to as "Iron Duke" (AA # 716331), along with my '88 stock Jeep master cylinder. I'm running a small block Chevy with an AA bell housing and an NV4500 tranny.

Last edited by Bubba_Jeep; 02-26-2006 at 09:07 AM.
Bubba_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1760
I'm a cheap Bastard with a sm420. But thanks anyway.

How much travel do you get out of that comb?

I would like to find a doner slave/master combo that would give me almost 2" of travel.

Last edited by BossBuilt; 02-26-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 30432
I have been using for about 8 years now a 1978 FJ40 slave cylinder. I am using the clutch fork from the 1969 Camaro that i took the engine from. It is easy to make a mount because it is only 2 bolts to mount it.

I was using a 1978 master cylinder to pust it because that was what I had the set up in. I now am using a 1990 YJ master cylinder because again that is what I am using the same set up in. I think the FJ slave cylinder is about 20 buck and the rebuild kit, (I carry one because I have had it fail on the trail once) costs about 6 bucks...

Hope this helps...

JOSH
Old 02-27-2006, 08:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8513
I used the master and slave from a nissan or toyota I can't remember. The master is a 5/8 bore and is made by NABSCO with a verticle reservoir and two outlets on the side at 90 degrees to the body. The slave is just a push style with plenty of throw and at $10, you cant beat it. I will try to get some part numbers when it's not raining.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 5458
Send a message via Yahoo to postal
I have a full steel aftermarket bellhousing in front of my SM420. I used the reservoir, master, slave and hose from an '85 Chevy C10 that had a 305 and an SM465. I welded an "L" bracket to it to mount the slave cylinder. The setup works great. Oh, and I used an old small block pushrod between the slave and the fork. The hardened ball works nice in the fork, and I experimented with length until it was "just right".
postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4787
Send a message via AIM to Geesh
I went to AA for a kitted part kit. Essentially they provided an in-house fabbed mounting bracket along with a nice hydraulic slave cylinder (same FJ unit as mentioned above) and sweet stainless steel line. You have to get the clutch fork with the thru-hole to make it work. Much easier than kluging together yourself. Ask me how I know.

I believe this is the AA catalog page where you can look. You can phone them with direct questions; they'll understand your needs technically

Good luck
Old 02-27-2006, 09:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesh
Ask me how I know.
Yeah been there done that.I was using a Nissan master with an unknown slave (one of many I found at the Junk yard) ...was working great(so I thought) I started hearing a "ting ting" noise, then I got to looking close at it and discovered my fork wasn't pulling the throw-out bearing of the clutch fingers when the clutch was disengaged....I tried to compromise but this led to not getting a full release of the clutch so it's time for a new plan.
I'm now looking at Novaks resolution and after talking to Ken I found out their web site is not up to date so the kit has totally different than the one shown., advanced adapters web site gives me a huge head- ache....
I've decided to Order the kit from Novak because I've dealt with Eric (the owner) before and he has done me right so far.

Thanks for your advice Guy's id does not go unappreciated trust me.
-Kerry

Last edited by BossBuilt; 02-27-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 15404
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossBuilt
What have you used with success?
I'm converting to hydraulic and I have a Camero "manual" bell with a 350 so I'll need to make a slave mounting bracket. I need about a 1-7/8s" stroke for full release. I have a stock wrangler master in my possession with a 11/16" bore.
Any info is appreciated.Thanks in advance.
-Kerry
So you are looking for a bellhousing that runs between a chevy 350 and a sm420 that will allow you to run a hyd clutch slave cylinder....right....

I know that 1961 chevy trucks used this setup factory....I have severial (4 trucks worth) sitting around here. Might be able to get them from 1960-1965 or so truck but not sure exactly when they went way from the hyd clutch...
Old 02-28-2006, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 33341
Novak has a great kit. I forget the price but it is a nice piece and has about two inches of travel.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurrier44
So you are looking for a bellhousing that runs between a chevy 350 and a sm420 that will allow you to run a hyd clutch slave cylinder....right....

I know that 1961 chevy trucks used this setup factory....I have severial (4 trucks worth) sitting around here. Might be able to get them from 1960-1965 or so truck but not sure exactly when they went way from the hyd clutch...
No! not looking for a bell,just a good hydro set-up...I have the master now and I'm waiting for the slave from Novak..... thanks anyway.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLTHIS
Novak has a great kit. I forget the price but it is a nice piece and has about two inches of travel.
It's $174 and I hate that I spent that much so I hope it's a nice kit.....Their old bracket would not have worked for me (needs 3.5" of real-estate) but Ken said they changed the design due to the flexy bracket now the new design only needs 1.5" At the widest point,but did not have pics yet. Hopefully this bracket's widest area is where the cylinder mounts and not up by the bell housing bolts like the last style.