D300 variation - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2006, 07:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 18770
D300 variation

More knowledge than tech, but better here than anywhere else.
What are the differences in the short output and long output dana 300 CASE?
I can't tell the differnece from the outside, yes I have one of each. The long output case is locked up and I haven't pulled it apart yet, short one works fine. I was thinking about using the shorter case to build a 300, but everything seems to say they are completely different.
True or False?
Should I just scrap the short output case?
Thanks
Old 02-28-2006, 07:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
MC
Pulverize Rocks

Member # 21997
Send a message via Yahoo to MC
The tailhousings are 2 different sizes.,.you should be able to tell from the outside. Dont throw a D300 away too many want these cases...ebay that case

Fully machined components
We build CNC plasma tables, click me
.................................................. .........

American Motors Engine HERE!!
TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2006, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 29636
Send a message via Yahoo to butch6924
I don't know what your end goal is but if you're planning to build the D300 for use in a newer Jeep you're going to want the longer output from the "locked" case. The speedo sensor for the newer jeeps plugs right into that thing. OTOH, if you're using the case for a trail only machine, use what you know works.
butch6924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 18770
Butch
Thats what I was thinking, I need to use the longer output case. Now I need to pull it apart to find out what is wrong with it. Now, is there any difference between the cases of the two, or just the obvious difference between the rear outputs?
Chad
Old 03-02-2006, 07:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 29636
Send a message via Yahoo to butch6924
to the best of my knowledge, all of the Jeep cases are the same. The differences in cases are between the scout and Jeep versions due to the bolt pattern used in the scout cases.
butch6924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 30537
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3
More knowledge than tech, but better here than anywhere else.
What are the differences in the short output and long output dana 300 CASE?
I can't tell the differnece from the outside, yes I have one of each. The long output case is locked up and I haven't pulled it apart yet, short one works fine. I was thinking about using the shorter case to build a 300, but everything seems to say they are completely different.
True or False?
Should I just scrap the short output case?
Thanks
The early Jeep Dana 300 rear output is shorter (3.5 inches) and has one mounting bolt that is not in the same location as the longer one (4.5 inch). However, you can simply drill and tap that hole in the case to put the newer and longer output on the older case. Advance Adapters has a heavy-duty output for both versions of the Jeep Dana 300. Other than the output, the cases are identical internally.
John Cappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 54214
Send a message via AIM to junkyardYJ
Kinda off subject but while the search is down can some body point me to a thread that will show me if I can make a front CV d-shaft work on my 300 with an auto tranny I am sure that there is at least one thread out there.......
Old 03-02-2006, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 33026
Cappa.... which one is stronger??? I just cracked the case on my long D300 and had to put in my spare t-case which is a shorty D300. Am i gonna break the output on the shorty before the long D300 output? Hows the Deuce-J holding up?
Chrisbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 30537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbuilt
Cappa.... which one is stronger??? I just cracked the case on my long D300 and had to put in my spare t-case which is a shorty D300. Am i gonna break the output on the shorty before the long D300 output? Hows the Deuce-J holding up?
Ehh, I'd say it's a dead heat. Negligible difference in strength... I guess I'd prefer the longer one if I had a choice. I like the speedo gear on that one better. You can change the tooth count to correct your speedo easily.

The main reason for failure of the 300 outputs is driveshaft bind. That pops 'em up faster than horsepower. I've seen several sand Jeeps at Glamis keep 1310 U-joints and the stock output alive with 500-1000 horsepower. They just have good driveshaft angles. There really is no reason for a 300hp V-8 to snap it constantly unless it's binding from axle wrap or too much droop (basically poor design)...well unless your rig is just too heavy for the little 300 in the first place. In that case you should be looking at the 32-spline outputs or a bigger t-case.

The Hot Dog J-truck? I sold it to a guy in Las Vegas. Then he sold it on E-bay for $9,000. Last I heard it was in Knoxville, TN at a muffler shop.
John Cappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 33026
thanks for the reply. I have a 1310 cv shaft with a good angle (22*) and a sams style traction bar. Should be fine for my CJ7. 350sbc/th350/d300 waggy 44 and a toy 8" with a spool. Around 4200lbs.
Chrisbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 18770
Well I pulled apart the "Locked" case and found that it is the front output that has something wrong with it. From what I gather on this post, I can swap the outputs from the two cases and hopefully get the thing to work. I am putting it behind the huge 4 banger so I doubt there will be any problems from the stock shafts for right now.
Putting in another blurb for the Bulltear flip.