Pirate 4x4 banner

Bacspacing on Your 14 Bolt

849 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  sjb83cj 
#1 ·
I am putting the C&C 14 Bolt under the rear of my YJ. I would like to know what Backspacing you are running on your wheels I am running a Waggy 44 Front end. What do you all suggest. Width is not a concern. I know these have been talked about a lot. But I am going to order my beadlocks and want to have my mind made up..... Pics would help also. THANKS!!!!!

#2 ·
You are going with 8 lug I guess so go with a 2 or 2.5" that way if you ever put in a 60F you are ready. Other wise if you don't care about that then you chould be able to get most any wheel to clear if using a 3/4 rotor like the 83 Ford because they run guite a bit of back spaceing and they are on the back side of the hub flange that is about 1" thick so they are no where near the wheel.

#4 ·
66CJdean said:
You are going with 8 lug I guess so go with a 2 or 2.5" that way if you ever put in a 60F you are ready. Other wise if you don't care about that then you chould be able to get most any wheel to clear if using a 3/4 rotor like the 83 Ford because they run guite a bit of back spaceing and they are on the back side of the hub flange that is about 1" thick so they are no where near the wheel.
Yes I am running the 8 lug I would like to be as wide as I can is there any downside to running the 2-2.5" Backspacing. I am going with the Avalanche Beadlocks.

#9 ·
bigjeepinYJ said:

Yes I am running the 8 lug I would like to be as wide as I can is there any downside to running the 2-2.5" Backspacing. I am going with the Avalanche Beadlocks.
2-2.5" offset wheels can be a little bit of a load on a 44 if it is a daily driver but not enough that I would worry about. I mean they run that front on 3/4 ton trucks with little wheel bearing problems if taken care of. Here is my 60 with 14B ends with corvette calipers and 2" back spacing. No grinding was needed

#10 ·
Yes I am running the 8 lug I would like to be as wide as I can is there any downside to running the 2-2.5" Backspacing
Make sure you ask them how they make their wheels. If they reverse the shell to be able to get this backspacing or not. That means that they take what would regularly be the outer bead and it goes inside, then the regular inner bead is where the beadlock will go.

When people do this setup it severely reduces the amount of seal surface for the inner bead. On a regular innner bead you can push the tire in around 1.5"-2" w/o unseating it. On a reversed shell it's only ~.5" or so.

I'm sure it can be done w/o reversing the shell, just make sure to check. I was told it's common practice to make wheels with a reversed shell to achieve this minimal backspacing.

When I ordered my beadlocks the last thing I wanted was to be blowing inner beads.

#11 ·
My wheels are reversed and if you beadlock them they seem to have the best of both worlds.

bigdude said:

Make sure you ask them how they make their wheels. If they reverse the shell to be able to get this backspacing or not. That means that they take what would regularly be the outer bead and it goes inside, then the regular inner bead is where the beadlock will go.

When people do this setup it severely reduces the amount of seal surface for the inner bead. On a regular innner bead you can push the tire in around 1.5"-2" w/o unseating it. On a reversed shell it's only ~.5" or so.

I'm sure it can be done w/o reversing the shell, just make sure to check. I was told it's common practice to make wheels with a reversed shell to achieve this minimal backspacing.

When I ordered my beadlocks the last thing I wanted was to be blowing inner beads.

#12 ·
Bigjeepenyj, I used Bills bolt-on brackets and they are great, I don’t have access to a welder and that was an easy route to take to get disk on my 14bolt. I have the C&C rearend and his spacers were only ¾” and after getting everything put back together I was able to figure out that I needed 2” spacers, I called Bill and he sent them to me the next day at his expense. He was a joy and a pleasure to deal with and I would highly recommend him to everyone.

One other thing, the 2” spacers looked really long, so I had a friend with a welder run a bead on the brackets. You can never have enough bead :p

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.