Pirate 4x4 banner

Warn vs Moser

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jp junkie 
#1 ·
There has been a lot of discussion about which is better. My wife's Jeep has a D44 with Warn shafts and CTM joints. My Jeep has a D44 Moser shafts and CTM joints. They both get about the same abuse, she runs 39.5 Swampers and mine has 38.5 SXs. The reason I am posting this thread is because I noticed my Moser shafts yokes are egg shaped, WTF? I thought Moser shafts were a little tougher than that. Hers are perfect. The only reason I didn't get warn's was because they don't offer custom lengths. Is there a company out there that makes shafts comparable to warn's quality and strength? Is duchman the company that makes shafts for warn? :confused:

#5 ·
Moser does not build Warns shafts. Warn does all but one machining process in house. At one time Dutchman had helped them with splining when their Hob was down (hence the rumor that Dutchman was building them for Warn) but other than that, Warn produces them themselves. I know that when comes to custom shafts, the Warn will recommend several different places depending on where you are located.

#6 ·
just repeating what the Warn Guy guy told me- didn't see any point in arguing w/ him. Anyway, cost me $350 for 2 custom made rear ff shafts recieved 3 weeks as promised. No complaints - and no warrenty.
opinion only--- the egg shape is a result of other issues and not the fault of the shaft. If you dont fix the cause, it'll just happen again.

#7 ·
Scramblin----look at what happened to my Moser custom alloy axle shaft. This came out of my dana44 that's under my 4 cylinder Yota with 212:1 gearing. I was trying to squeeze thru a tight spot on HIGHWAY TO HELL trail, Florence,AZ, when the right front got wedged and loaded up. BAM and this is the result. http://www.dreamwater.com/zuk/detroitsoftlocker.html notice where the axle snapped and it's a clean break.....notice how the "beefy" Moser ears distorted like a pretzel. The UJ lived strangely enough. Detroit is shipping the part but I don't know about Moser....OX Locker folks are coming out with a new UJ and chrome moly shafts. Might have to try those.

#9 ·
ZUK said:
Scramblin----look at what happened to my Moser custom alloy axle shaft. This came out of my dana44 that's under my 4 cylinder Yota with 212:1 gearing. I was trying to squeeze thru a tight spot on HIGHWAY TO HELL trail, Florence,AZ, when the right front got wedged and loaded up. BAM and this is the result. http://www.dreamwater.com/zuk/detroitsoftlocker.html notice where the axle snapped and it's a clean break.....notice how the "beefy" Moser ears distorted like a pretzel. The UJ lived strangely enough. Detroit is shipping the part but I don't know about Moser....OX Locker folks are coming out with a new UJ and chrome moly shafts. Might have to try those.
Warn shafts are hardened completely, including the yoke. Looks like the moser shafts are only hardened in the shaft area. Where this transistions creates a weak spot.

#10 ·
look at what happened to my Moser custom alloy axle shaft
Holy Sh......:eek: I wish I would have know this before I ordered my Moser axles. I guess its off to Currie for Warn customs. My question is, if they get blanks, when they cut them, are you loosing any strenght at the splines?:confused: I like the Warns, as I mentoned before, my wife has them on her Jeep and she beats the crap out of them with no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.