Pirate 4x4 banner

TJ driveshaft rubbing a hole in tranny pan

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  gna 
#1 ·
This won't apply to alot of you, but because of set-up my drive shaft hits my auto tranny pan.

3spd, atlas, belly-up, currie hipinion 9" of front.

The only way I can seem to keep the driveshaft out of the pan is to mess with track and have my axle 1-2" over towards driverside. (Not centered)

Not street driven much (3-5k) a year. Drives ok, looks dorky.

Wheel spacers on the passenger side to even out? anyone got an idea?

Worked well. Did 21 road (grand junction), Catcus, Calamity, Topless (Montrose), Poison Spider, Golden Spike (Moab) in 6 days! (Dented Shock, lost a skid-plate bolt, power steering leaking, minor scrapes)

Thanks

#3 ·
Atlas is clocked so that shaft is as far "out" as possible.

Another tranny? I like my auto on the rocks. If it blows up (which it hasn't) rebuilds are dirt cheap. Plus it is real short, Don't know what else would fit. Although I like the idea of 4.7 and 5spd from a grand like currie's fire ant.

#4 ·
I don't understand why it would hit the tranny pan. I have an Atlas w/auto and I have the RE long arm, So I have a higher skid(not as high as yours). The atlas is clocked at 7 degree's; as flat as it will go. Did they build the axle right?:confused: Maybe the brackets are off and 1" or so???????

HMMMMMM...

#5 ·
I was thinking that.... I hope not... I have to find a stocker so that I can take some measurments.

That is all I can think of that is wrong. My drivesshaft is almost completely horizontal, REAL difficult to hit on a rock. My 9" uses stock 30 stubs and brakes, so it is not the MOST expensive option, but for 3k it should be right. At this point I regret not having it 2-3 inches wider. Live and learn.

#11 ·
Yep, two piece was where I was going to go next, but didn't need to. No joke. my Tom Woods long travel DS, is 1 1/4" dia., stays out of the way and ain't broke yet.

At the start the distance from DS to tranny pan was like 1/8" and hit going over bumps. Now I have a full 3/4" distance and it never hits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.