Pirate 4x4 banner

Replacing fuel line on a CJ-5

601 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cjhunter 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm from next door in the rice burner forum, but 've got Jeep question and could use your assistance:

A buddy of mine drives a 77 CJ-5. On our last trip of the season in October, he broke his fuel line where it runs along the frame in the drivers side front wheel well. We did a trail fix with some hose and clamps, and he's not driven it much since.

Is this the kind of thing your average wheeler can fix (permanently) himself? If so, what's the right way? The OEM design didn't seem well thought out, as I think he caught it on a tire under full stuff. I'm open to better ideas.

Sorry if this is a knuckleheaded question. I tried searching for "fuel line" but didn't come up with a good hit.

Thanks,

Mark

#2 ·
I have been looking into modifying my present fuel line because I want to swap in a 360 and the fuel pump is on the opposite side of my 258 pump. What I have found is that some people are ditching the hard line for rubber line, and it is working fine. The main problem is vapor lock. I think that this problem is solved by putting a piece of metal conduit over the line. Most are running the line through the inside of the frame rail. This adds some protection. If you cant repair the fuel line this shoudl work fine. Or you could just buy some hard fuel line and a pair of tubing bending pliers from the autoparts store for about $10 and do it that way. Could be more durable.

good Luck.

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.