Pirate 4x4 banner

XJ axle swap

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  XJUSA 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello American Jeep Forum, Iam from germany and I try to find some answers here. I have done a engine swap to a chevy V8 in my XJ, now the stock axles seem to be out of there possibilities. Braking is rather bad in the mountains and the become very hot(too little rotors),also I fear I will destroy the weak Dana30 and Dana35 with the new power I got. As the most of you I cant buy custom axles by Dynatrac, Currie Enterprises or teraflex. I want to do a low budget swap. Okay thats the situation.
Now I have the possibility to buy some cheap axles of a military chevy pickup with Dann44 front and Dana60 rear.
Has someone of you the experience with this or is knowing someone who have made such a axle swap und have promoted his project in the internet, so that I would have a workthrough to do the same.
Whats about other ideas to solve my problems with the D30 and D35.
regards Bengt

#2 ·
If you use the search feature on this forum you will dig up all kinds of information concerning axle swaps.

The Chevy front axle has the differential on the passenger side while the XJ's is on the driver's side. You would be better off trying to find a donor axle from an older Ford truck or Jeep Wagoneer. You should be able to use the steering knuckles, spindles, stub shafts and brakes off the Chevy D44 though.

Here are some web sites you might find helpfull.

http://billyxj.tripod.com/Index/Tech_Index.htm
http://madxj.com/

Prost :beer:

RR3

#3 ·
I know the front axle would be a lot of work to change the diff-house from right to left and shortening axles too, but I will try it.
Also I know the Ford Explorer 8.8 axle could be a right rear axle and is easy to do, but in Germany it is hard to find a used Ford Explorer axle. Wagoneer front axles the same.
If I could find a Jeepers friend in the states I could trust in, I would send him the money and he could send the parts to germany by container. But who will do that for nothing.

Bengt

#5 ·
@RR3
A lucky guy I am, today I found 2 D44 axles of a Wagoneer Jeep, I think this axles will solve my problems. With some changes I can use them.
Now I am living in northern Germany, near the city of Bremen and Hamburg. For some time I lived in southern Germany. In Heidelberg, there is the HQ of US Army Europe, I met some american guy there, when they make some "parties" in Patrick Henry Village, a lot of fun.
My holidays I spend in Norway, Norway is a little bit like Canada.
Then I need my Jeep climbing the mountains and spend my time outside of any civilization.
One time I was in Washington DC and in New Orleans(House of Blues).
I like the USA :usa: and the people very much.
My great dream is to come to the Middle West , to Texas or New Mexico, all that states there, riding my Jeep over endless streets direct into sundown. Driving with some friends through some strange trails and sitting evenings at the fireside. Talking about some Jeep stuff and making jokes. May be drinking German beer beer:beer:, one or more ... ! Someday ....

regards Bengt

#6 ·
When you talked about driving in the mountains I thought you might be from Bavaria. I lived in Munich for 8 months in the 70's. We used to drink Andexer at the local keller. It's made by monks from a cloister. Boy, that was good beer.

Glad to hear you found some axles. Keep us informed of how your build-up goes.

RR3

#8 ·
This project will be taken step by step. First of all I will fetch the axles and take a closer look. Some thinking ist needed in which ratio, ARB Lockers front and rear or only rear and so on. This will I do from weekend to weekend.
In later summer, when I will have more time the axle swap will go forward. May be I have some more questions in this forum until then. For now thank you for helping.

Bengt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.