Pirate 4x4 banner

Need some answers for 2/3A

686 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  schuss 
#1 ·
Okay, puttin' the axles on the frame and I need to figure out some shizat for my 3A (or 2A, its a mishmash of parts). Question 1: what parts do I need for the saginaw conversion? My steering WILL NOT reach my pitman arm in its current state, so I think this is a must. Links, part numbers, whatever would help a ton.
Question 2: Does anyone know the proper backspacing to put 32 inch tires on this thing? I have 2.5 inch lift springs, and 1 inch lift shackles (roughly) in an SPUA config. No fender chopping as of yet, but it could be done. And my current axles can't handle more, so no gettin' me into trouble :flipoff2: . Thanks a bunch to anyone who can answer these, I have no help from other places.

#3 ·
There are only three threads pertaining to jeep talk in that search, mine being one of them. I don't mean to be a dumbass newbie, but the fact of the matter is that I need to get this done, and I didn't see any that were dealing with the 2/3A series of CJ's.

#4 ·
another question: since the 3A and CJ5 frames are fairly similar, can I Just rig up a 5 steering system on it? or is that what the saginaw conversion is. Thanks again guys, flame if you like, I can take it :D

#5 ·
Yes, a saginaw conversion is basically swapping a latemodel cj5 or cj7 steering on. You need to brace the frame where the box is attached. Do a web search, there are literally hundreds of arcticles on this.

Backspacing - how wide a tire? height doesn't matter for backspacing. For 9.5" tires on stock axles I ran 15x8 rims with 4" backspacing. To run 12.5 wide you would be safer with 3" - either way with stock width axles your steering will be somewhat limited by the tires hitting the springs

#7 ·
schuss said:
oops, my bad, looking to put 10.5 wide tires on it. Thanks for indulging my idiocy, I was able to find some articles on it. Now to find the parts......
If you can't or don't want to fab parts yourself Currie sells the
steering box mount, steering shaft, and drag/tierod as a kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.