Pirate 4x4 banner

NP231 Front output yoke

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bigjeepinYJ 
#1 ·
Will the front output yoke from a TJ NP231 (CV style) fit onto the front output shaft of a YJ NP231 (non-CV)?

This would be done to use a TJ front CV DS in my YJ.

Did a search but none of the posts covered this.

Thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
I was just told an XJ has a CV front DS too. I think the XJ yoke would be easier to find than the TJ one. I assume all the 231 front yokes are the same. I am going to look for an XJ yoke and a TJ DS since it will be the right length.

Thanks for the info.

#4 ·
On a similar note....

anyone know of a source for a yoke or flange that will fit the diameter and splines of the 231 rear output shaft?

in other words, something besides an RE hack and tap SYE that can serve the same purpose.

does RE make that? or is it an obscure Spicer part?

#5 · (Edited)
Onda, I've considered what you are thinking but have not found a part that will work. Certainly if it were made someone would have found it by now. Here's an interesting site. Rockford is all my driveshaft guy carries. I used it to identify the part needed to convert an XJ front shaft for use in the rear in conjunction with the RE H&T.

Concerning CV shafts on the front of a YJ, has anybody done this with a locker or non disco axle? When using a double cardan style shaft the pinion is suppose to be pointed at the t-case output. Do you leave the pinion angle like it is (vibes at speed?) or do you point it at the output and not worry about your caster?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.