Pirate 4x4 banner

busted axle pic, and questions

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cbassett 
#1 ·

Well, busted the shaft right as it enters the CV (that's what I get for not going to u-joints) but there are also parts of the CV joint that are just broken floating around in greese. So I put the new shaft in and realize my locker isn't unlocking. I dont' have time to fix the locker but I can change a shaft in like 20 minutes. And I have autolocking hubs

So can I just pull the short side shaft and leave it off and drive around and be fine, or do I need to put something in there, like the bust up outer part of my shaft to like hold bearings together and crap?
-Nate

oh yeah, dont' buy lockrights, I've broken mine and my friends broken both of his.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, you say you have auto lockouts, yet you mention the POS ZJ CV axle. If you have the stock hubs, then you need the stub shaft to hold it all together. If you can get the axle out in 20 minutes, then you can do both in 40, the cover in 2, and then all ya gotta do is pull the carrier and remove the lockrite.

#3 ·
yeah auto locking as in always locked in, is that not the right term?

No shit I can take the entire axle apart in about an hour and have the lockright out but that's a bitch to do in a dirt parking lot at 9 o'clock when I have to drive it tomorrow and I've already been working on it today. Thanks for the reply, I got it taken care of.
-Nate

#7 ·
yeah, I got it CHRIS! Just, if you look at the times I posted both at the same time couldn't wait for an answer. I didn't notice that dan put an outer stub in when he busted on the con and drove all the way back home. HE could have, but I just didn't see it, that's why I asked.
-Nate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.