Pirate 4x4 banner

Can XJ tow a 20 ft. boat?

4K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  AGGIECJ-7 
#1 ·
I have a 1990 XJ 4.0l 6cyl. I just installed a new transmission. I have been wondered if my XJ is able to tow a 20ft boat at about 3 thousand lbs. without damage the transmission? Change the ratio in rear gear will make any difference? In the manual book, XJ is able to tow up to 5 thousand lbs. while one of transmission mechanic said it is not recommendation.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

#3 ·
its possible.. depending on how far ur going i use to pull my 24 ft poontoon boat witha 79 cj-7 never had any problems.. dont drive from cali to new york but short drvies it will be fine.. might add a set of helper springs in the rear.. it will help a lil with the saggin.. just be gentle on her.. no throtle slams. etc.. use ur head.. if its a auto.. with od.. dont use od..
use the manual tranny when going down hill.. etc ..

#4 ·
I'm guessing it's a AX15? Your right on the edge of what I would consider safe. If you stay off of big passes and have brakes on your trailer you should be fine. It's the hills that will really put the strain on your drive train. Besides, I hate following you fawkers up the passes doing 30. I would however be worried about outer axle bearings in rear D35 with the extra 300-500 LBS of tongue weight, especially on long high speed trips.

:flipoff2:

#6 ·
The power of the Jeep is only one aspect to considering what to tow, and not to tow. I had an XJ with the 4.0l, and it towed my boat great, on flat level ground, with no surprises or quick stops. I had a mishap on a steep boat ramp however, which caused me to sell the XJ the next week. We were backing down the ramp, and the ramp was saturated. The tires on the XJ broke loose, and the XJ, the trailer and the boat went right down the ramp. The boat slammed the ramp, and a woman standing on the ramp almost got tossed into the water as a result. I was totally freaked by that, and decided the XJ was not going to cut it. (our Explorer was in the shop due to someone hitting it) Our Explorer wasn't really up to pulling that boat either, so I bought a Ram 1500 to replace the Jeep.

We now have two XJs, a YJ and the Ram, so I still love XJs, just not for pulling things like boats. :)

#7 ·
I agree with what has been said so far. It should be able to pull it fine on level ground, as long as you don't have to make any panic stops. Short distances shouldn't be bad, but a lot of towing time on that dana 35 will kill it early. You mention changing the rear gears, if it is 4x4 you need to change both front and rear gears at the same time or you can't use 4x4. If your trailer has brakes that will make everything easier also. All it will take is one close call panic stop or swerve to convince you that a more substantial tow rig is needed. I know it's a pain in the ass and no one want's to have to buy a new rig or hear that theirs is not up to snuff, but it's true. It's much safer for you and those of us that share the road with you if you get a better tow rig. I also agree with what was said earlier about having to follow someone pulling more than they should up a hill. It's always fun to do 25-30 mph up a hill in a long parade of other pissed off drivers.

#9 ·
drveede said:
how well could a 97 xj 4.0l/ax-15/np231/chrysler 8.25, flat tow a 79 cj5? the cj5 weighs 3900lbs and out here in va it's pretty flat.
that is about twice what it is rated for, but like i said, there are no hills.

dave
You'd be an accident waiting to happen. An XJ isn't heavy enough to flat tow another vehicle. If the road was the least bit wet or slippery you'd end up having the CJ push you all over the road. At the very least use a tow dolly with brakes.

XJ brakes aren't exactly world class either. They barely stop an XJ let alone a trailer. You guys might want to rethink using them as tow vehicles.

Jon (uses a dually one ton for towing duty)

#11 · (Edited)
You will be fine. I tow this 20ft big block powered ski boat with my Disco and before that with an v6 Exploder. I do use an F250 when I'm pulling it to Tahoe. It tips the scale at 5000

#13 ·
#14 ·

Attachments

#15 ·
Towing with my XJ is a nightmare, what with the 2.8L v6, and the brakes work fine-without a load. Once the gvw is increased, or towing a trailer, then I have to start slowing down earlier than normal in order to make a safe stop. Towed a 49 flattie over the colo. passes, and going 35-40 mph is just not good, I felt sorry for the bozos who were flying low at 80plus mph wanting to get around me. I was surprised that I DID pass a few vehicles going uphill.

#18 ·
oopsdidmyjeeproostya said:

NO SHIT U THINK
I SAID I DID.
SO SOME ONE TELL ME HOW TO LOAD PICS CORRECTLY..

try reading the "announcement" at the top of every forum...it has some good info for newbies :D

:usa:

#19 ·
oopsdidmyjeeproostya said:

NO SHIT U THINK
I SAID I DID.
SO SOME ONE TELL ME HOW TO LOAD PICS CORRECTLY..
Drop the attitude D.A.N. or is it OOPSMYJEEPISSTUPID :mad3:I guess you missed the little buttons at the top of the page. Here is what it looks like:
There is a preview button as well.

#20 ·
drveede said:
how well could a 97 xj 4.0l/ax-15/np231/chrysler 8.25, flat tow a 79 cj5? the cj5 weighs 3900lbs and out here in va it's pretty flat.
that is about twice what it is rated for, but like i said, there are no hills.

dave

I would not recomend this. A friend of mine, who is on this board i think he goes by RJLynn, was flat towing his CJ5 behind his XJ about a year and a half ago. He was coming back from Kansas and heading to COllege Station. A gust of wind hit the XJ and CJ and over they went. luckily both of them and the two dogs were alright but the just as easily could have been killed. They did this on a major highway. There wasnt much damage to the CJ but the XJ was totaled.

I wouldnt recomend doing any kind of towing, flat or trailered, unless the two vehicle is quit a bit heavier then the towed vehicle....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.